Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
You will probably see SOW available as a download as well as a boxed versison. I'd like to see the boxed version with extras go for atleast a hundred dollars. We pay way to little for good combat flight sims, its not worth the time and effort for new developers to get into this genre.
Great idea Chivas. You seem to be the person on these forums I agree with the most.

100 dollar special edition, with the cloth map, printed manual, extra skins, maybe even a few extra maps or planes?

Then a regular boxed version for 40 or 50 bucks, and a digital download version for 40 bucks and I think we're looking at a winner.

All the hardcore guys like us who are forum/flight sim junkies will support Oleg and get the special edition and the more casual players can pick up the cheaper copy. Everyone wins.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
You will probably see SOW available as a download as well as a boxed versison. I'd like to see the boxed version with extras go for atleast a hundred dollars. We pay way to little for good combat flight sims, its not worth the time and effort for new developers to get into this genre.
I get where you are coming from, but economic situations around the world are varied. The economies and standard of living are very different around the world. Just think on all the places people are posting from on this forums.

The distributor will probably have the most to say on the price of BOB SOW. If Oleg distributes SOW directly like others, i.e., LockOn series ,then we could very well see prices exceeding $80 USD.

IMO, it really doesn't matter the price of BOB SOW. IL2 is all I do now, and the basic consideration for every computer upgrade I have made in the past 10 years has been targeted to accomodate as competent an IL2 as possible. By targeting this kind of spec system I always have adequate capacity for anything else I want to do with my computer system.

Last edited by nearmiss; 01-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

I agree that it is worth that much to me, but they have to have the price much lower. The only way they will make money is by a high volume of sales. At a hundred bucks, they would miss many potential sales. Especially these days, with high unemployment, and a terrible world wide economy.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Approved Member

I reckon the key to a good price would be differentiated sales. I hear many people on the forum say "i would gladly pay 2x over for this" and this is a way to get those people (one of which being me ) to pay a little extra.

How is this done? Different release formats, the cheapest being downloadable, for the bargain hunter, then store bought boxes, for the old fashioned and those who want a physical copy of their purchase, and then a "collectors edition" which has many extra things included (somebody has already mentioned the idea of a map) for 20-40 dollars more. Those of us who have being hanging on since that little bonus cd in 1946 can show their dedication in this way and help the company along.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Approved Member

I like how they touched on the degrading quality of the games, how publishers want quick money rather than quality development you see.

Lots of advice for the video game industry, heck any industry (like movie and music LOL). Look how long Il-2 is going, but games like blazing angels series are long forgotten.

Nice to know Oleg n crew are doing their best to stem the dark tide!

People want quality, not fluff used to turn a quick buck.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

Oleg will know what price is right, but two versions seems sensible. One "expensive" version for the hardcore community and one "cheap" version for the rest, upgradable to hardcore when wanted. "hardcore" contains more airplanes, free upgrades, added stuff,(free patches for everyone of course) and a discount on "SOW KOREA"
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peffi View Post
Oleg will know what price is right, but two versions seems sensible. One "expensive" version for the hardcore community and one "cheap" version for the rest, upgradable to hardcore when wanted. "hardcore" contains more airplanes, free upgrades, added stuff,(free patches for everyone of course) and a discount on "SOW KOREA"
I'm a cheapskate, I don't pay more than I need to for games, the last time I didn't wait for the bargain bin was Oblivion, which was thankfully worth full price to me. I think I expect to pay the full price for SoW BoB, but I certainly won't be paying for a collector's edition.

I really don't see a point to having a discount in with an expensive version, the whole point of the expensive version is that those people will willingly pay extra. Maybe a discount in with an expensive version of SoW BOB on the expensive edition of SoW Korea would make sense, but on the ordinary version it really wouldn't in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie View Post
I've had steam problems, and believe me you do not want this "You're guilty until proven innocent" business attitude.
Offline play should be a simply 'key' enabled, whereas online play can have a semi-drm type authentification, no steam, as it tosses offline play as well.
It makes more sense for oleg to have his own steam type shop.

No steam for me.. I would like the box, thank you !!
You obviously dont know about steam. You can play offline, you just need to authenticate the game then start steam in offline mode from then on...

Also in response to another persons comment - the youplay was the MAJOR killer for WOP on steam because it was additional DRM, and it barely functioned.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
You obviously dont know about steam. You can play offline, you just need to authenticate the game then start steam in offline mode from then on...
You obviously haven't experienced steam problems
Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Try doing that when your net connection has already gone down...