Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: When will the next beta patch be released?
thursday!!! 1 0.74%
this friday 18 13.24%
during next week 15 11.03%
during the week after the next week 12 8.82%
in three weeks 9 6.62%
after a month 12 8.82%
two months 2 1.47%
three months 5 3.68%
this year, hopefully.. 20 14.71%
in two weeks 42 30.88%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
Sorry.. I didn't mean to imply that some PCs are not experancing crashes.. What with all the variations in hardware and software these days I am not suprised at all.. What I did say is 'some' PCs are not experancing crashes.. Which to me means, CoD is now tasked to find out what is specific about those PCs that is making CoD crash.. Hence the dump files section in this forum
+1
I'm running of a two year old system (specs in signature) and don't have the crashes. It's running as smoothly as IL2 online. (uses to stutter badly in IL2 especially when there was any Flak!)

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
+1
I'm running of a two year old system (specs in signature) and don't have the crashes. It's running as smoothly as IL2 online. (uses to stutter badly in IL2 especially when there was any Flak!)

Cheers!
I just don't get it. I have a system similar to yours but 3.6 ghz, more ram (6gig) and a later video card GTX 580 and mine stutters like mad and has poor fps whenever it gets the slightest bit busy. Fps tanks over London and whenever I start destroting prey with my guns.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I run it at 3.6 ghz and a GTX 580 with 6gigs of ram Win64, do you think my velociraptor is too slow for this sim and is causing all the stuttering?
I do get some slight stuttering when flying low over the London, but only when looking side ways over my wingtip at close trees and building going by. I can't prove anything, but I really think having the sim, copy of Windows, and Hota peripherals on a separate SSD helps. There is not alot of background apps taking up memory or cpu cycles, and its never searching my other drives for anything.

You may have some background apps or the harddrive needs defragging to cause your major stutter problems.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip

Last edited by Chivas; 12-06-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I just don't get it. I have a system similar to yours but 3.6 ghz, more ram (6gig) and a later video card GTX 580 and mine stutters like mad and has poor fps whenever it gets the slightest bit busy. Fps tanks over London and whenever I start destroting prey with my guns.
I haven't been near London and stay at reasonable height over other big towns where possible. I haven't noticed stutters when I'm shooting other planes, though on the rare occasion the other plane warps out of my gun sights, which can happen before I pull the trigger and I've put down to the Print Screen ploy!

There are a lot of funny inconsistencies which will hopefully be removed when they put out the new graphics engine.

One of the few things I have remembered from my career as a computer programmer is that it's easy to fix an error that can be consistently reproduced. Intermittent errors are the hardest ones to fix.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 12-06-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
I agree that it has to, but thinking realistically how can it be even possible in the real world? Luthier - 1C, Oleg - 1C, 1C - UBI contracts all have/had non-disclosure clauses. Luthier mentioned in March or April something like please do not ask me questions answering which would get me fired the next morning. Yes, theoretically UBI could announce it as beta but we do not know if retailers or Steam would accept a beta. Thus it probably was a "stop-loss" decision to release it as it is (having an alternative to shut the project down completely).

My understanding is that new engine with too many features, too much detail and new technology exponentially increased workload and required resources which was not accounted for because no one attempted similar titanic projects in the past. (Think about why none of studios in more technologically and financially developed western countries never created anything comparable in complexity and detail in air- or even land- or sea-sims.)

Oleg accepted that he made several mistakes in the beginning of development trying to make a perfect product.

There is nothing we can do about this reality besides investing more money in MG, or applying for job with MG if we are good, or advertising CloD to friends and online buddies on other forums, or encouraging the team to overcome difficulties with our support, trust, positive and constructive attitude on the forums. Luthier said in March that they need our support and trust to break through (as they have to fight for continuation of financing by publishers I think. Oleg mentioned on his Youtube channel last spring just after the release "... if they allow the team to finish...") .

Psychologically people often feel better when publicly blaming others, busting and bitching. Internet forums is a perfect place for this. People are not stupid not to realise that their bitching discourages the team, newcomers and even investors/publishers who read these forums, therefore harming further development of the product, but keep doing it because it makes them feel better. Perfectly understandable. I did it several times on sukhoi.ru forums too.

PS. If you want continued support for the series, please help the devs every day in proving to publishers that this is a great product worth continuing investing. If you do not what further development but just a revenge you can do the opposite and be happy when the project is shut down coming here to say "I told you that it was crap!".
+1 Ataros! I love IL2 and CoD is my primary combat flight simulator even though I own all modern flight sims, RoF DCS series ect! I'm really looking forward to see IL2 improve and expand in the future

Last edited by Sven; 12-06-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Skoshi and Chivas,

I don't have crashes either, but the stuttering is intermittent and persistent where ever I fly. FPS are brutal over cities and I also have my peripherals on another drive. Funny thing is, I try turning things down and it doesn't make much difference. I will wait to see what the next patch gives us.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Skoshi and Chivas,

I don't have crashes either, but the stuttering is intermittent and persistent where ever I fly. FPS are brutal over cities and I also have my peripherals on another drive. Funny thing is, I try turning things down and it doesn't make much difference. I will wait to see what the next patch gives us.
Comparing your system specs to theirs is good, but may not be conclusive. Go to technical forums and discuss your issues there. You might resolve some things by posting config files.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I still choose C
Just to be crystal.. I never said you could not choose 'C'! You are more than welcome to your opinion! All I was pointing out is your choice of 'C' ake opinion has no merits! As in nothing to back up the claim that CoD qualifies as an 'alpha' product.

Quote:
Most fits CoD
IYO not IMO

Quote:
And I'm not upset.
Ah that is good news! I am glad to hear you figured out what API means!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I've never experienced a crash or freeze with COD, but I have a relatively highend system, with very few background programs running.
Same here.. Well ok I do recall the game locking up maybe a handful of times.. but that was so long ago I don't even remember which patch it was that happened with

Quote:
Infact I run COD on a separate SSD with only a copy of Windows 7 64bit, and Hotas peripherals installed on it. My every day computing is done on different HHD.
Me too! And it is my opinion that the reason I don't see the stutters that most are reporting has alot to do with the fact that I am using a SSD.

Quote:
I just reboot my system to the COD SSD whenever I want to fly.
I have not done that yet.. Next time I do a clean up Im going to do the duel boot thing

Quote:
Until the sim is better optimized your going to need a very clean fast system to experience less problems other than feature issues.
Agreed 100%

Quote:
SSD's aren't that expensive anymore. You can easily pick one up under a hundred dollars.
True dat

Quote:
Unfortunately combat flight sims have always required high end systems if you want to run it with all the bells and whistles turned on.
Bingo!

This is not a cheap 'hobby'.. Flight sims are not your run of the mill eye candy game that only requires a good vid card.. Flight sims are typically much more demanding on your PC resorces than most games
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
+1
Just more proof that the PC is more than likly at the root of most peoples problems.