Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
All that said...its a choice. Which I like. because I choose not to have steam installed to I can be part of data collection for marketing and a simpler operation overall without 3rd party crap. When the choice is removed, thats what I have issue with.
You could choose to keep your server up to date. Steam also auto updates the server software btw.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

For anyone who is interested there is already a group on Steam for IL-2 CoD here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IL2COD
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Interesting to note that while it includes that steam line in the UK's ubi post, that line is completely missing in the ubi forums US page which has the same info almost word for word.

Steam is a virus...a control tool and will never make its way back on to any computer system I own.

I didn't buy SH5 because of the forced steam issue.
I didn't buy N:TW because of the steam issue ( and because ETW was such a disappointment and forced me to be on steam to multiplay)
Playing ARMA2 CO is a perfect example of why I won't deal with steam. I can run the game without a hitch, and make choices for myself. Squad members who bought it via steam are forced to take patches the DAY the are released on steam, regardless of settings, keeping them off the server...just as one example. I won't go into the nightmare that is encountered if they want to run mods like ACE2 for example.

While steam might be some kind of neat little thing for games like halo, I have no desire to have my gaming and chat controlled and recorded to be sold by 3rd party companies like valve. They can keep their software...I don't want it again, thank you.
Break out the tinfoil hat
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

Steam is okay, hasn't always been okay, but now it's reliable. I had trouble with Empire: Total War some years ago, but with Darkest Hour and Red Orchestra ( FPS games) I have had zero trouble so far.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

ETW was buggy! NTW is fine by now!

Most of the time on Multiplayer it says " you lost connection to Steam" or "You dropped frome the game" when infact you neither lost your connection nor that NTW crashes or you quit the game! its just ends the Multiplayer battle this piece of crap!!!! I hate it!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
You could choose to keep your server up to date. Steam also auto updates the server software btw.
I am well aware of the options, thanks. For the cost I chose not to spend the money on a true dedicated server that would allow a remote connect to install exe's. But thanks for the helpful suggestions.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
How does Steam specifically "**** up a lot of online battles?" I seem to recall that NTW was pretty dam buggy and that had nothing to do with Steam.

Agree, I personally have Empire Total War, and that game was a mess from the beginning. Was it steams fault? Nope, it was Creative Assembly and their utterly broken game, not steam.
It's funny how some can't tell the difference, if its on steam and broke its suddenly steams fault. Another obvious game with a ton of issues was Modern Warfare 2.. a complete disaster in every way possible, guess its steams fault also?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger27 View Post
Break out the tinfoil hat
You don't read much do you? How do you think they make all their money? Its not game sales as much as you would think. It's data sales.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Quote:
Collection and Use of Information
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.
Thats just the start. Like I said, if you choose to use that service, good for you. I choose not to. Why should I be forced to?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am well aware of the options, thanks. For the cost I chose not to spend the money on a true dedicated server that would allow a remote connect to install exe's. But thanks for the helpful suggestions.
So.....your argument is really more about being change due to fiscal concerns than any actual issue with Steam. I'm not saying I can't see your points, but to be fair this isn't really Steam's fault.

Yes it does suck that sometimes a game works better in an older version than it does in a newer version, but honestly isn't that more a dev issue than Valve's? Steam's "don't autoupdate feature" works as long as Steam is working, but if you shut it down and start it back up it will update anything that isn't up to date. I do agree this feature needs to be fixed, but to use this as some point of vehement despise for the entire platform is a bit over the top you've got to admit.

Edit: was being an ass fixed it to be more polite
Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You don't read much do you? How do you think they make all their money? Its not game sales as much as you would think. It's data sales.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Thats just the start. Like I said, if you choose to use that service, good for you. I choose not to. Why should I be forced to?
Thats was cleverly snipped to make it look as bad as possible, do you write newspaper headlines by any chance? If people read on then it does clearly state:

Quote:
"Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

"Individual information" is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve's products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve's users.