Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

IMHO, this is an hybrid between IL-2 (FM, DM, basic design of planes) and SoW:BoB (plane textures, terrain, countryside, ground objects) adapted to the powerful GPU of the consoles, destinated to get some cash to keep the wheels of SoW:BOB running.

I have noted that some of the main fighters shown here are Hurricanes with 12x.303 machine guns and Spits with 2 x 20 mm guns. No "Battle of Britain" planes. So it seems that they come directly from IL-2 planeset (Hurricane MkIIB and Spitfire V), maybe with improved textures according to the graphic power of a console. I can't say anything about the Me-110 and He-111 versions. It seems to me strange not to have chosen a Hurri Mk.I available in the IL-2 planeset. More firepower in the MK.IIB?

DM of the damaged Hurricanes reminds me very much the IL-2 DM, eventhough it seems more detailed. However, a damaged Hurri, with some of the control surfaces almost broken, seems to manoeuver very well, though. The way in which some of the planes shown in the footage turn and roll reminds me the way the IL-2 AI planes do. I would guess that the FM will have be more simplified for such a console game.

Mr Subbotin , the spokesman of 1C, says:
"...there's a new damage modeling system where your plane can get chewed up pretty badly, to the point that it has gaping holes in the wings and fuselage, and that will affect your aircraft's handling on the more realistic difficulty levels....""

For a newcomer to flight simulation, this could be fantastic but, we, the old IL-2 pilots, know that this is how our beloved IL-2 performs, so this effects can be achieved easily with the IL-2 DM engine.

Finally, the country side, trees, villages, seems to come directly from the first SoW:BoB promotion videos, from months or years ago.

My conclusion, an hybrid.

www.escuadrilla-fae.com

Last edited by FAE_Cazador; 06-07-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

And don't forget that most of console players don't have joysticks, pedals, etc. By not mentionning a TrackIR,

And one of the most commented features of future SoW:BoB is the full real FM.

How to fly a plane with a gamepad? How to make coordinated turns etc ...? Simplifiying the FM.

Unless a Wii-like control stick would be developed....

www.escuadrilla-fae.com

Last edited by FAE_Cazador; 06-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Smile

WOW:BoB!!!!

I love the look of it.

My biggest worries about BoB were that the trees and towns would be as badly modelled as we've seen in the early devepment pictures of SoW:BoB. I am very relieved that everything here looks almost exactly as it should do. Whether Oleg's team has modelled the lanscape/towns is less relevant to me, as he will without a doubt see this. I would be very surprised though if his team didn't model the landscape/towns as they must have already spent years doing the complex modelling - it makes no sense to do it again from scratch?
It would have been nice to see some small villages/churces/farms/factories, the sort of thing that brings a landscape to life. Though I am very happy with what I see. It is undeniably British looking.
I thought there might be a problem with the large amount of buidings making the game (SoW:BoB) impossible to play. In the least it look promising, even if the towns we see are small, and aknowledging that consoles have high processing power.

If Oleg has been involved in this it certainly explains the lack of update information on Sow:BoB.

It's a great shame if the release of BoB has been delayed because of Oleg's teams possible involvment with this game.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Did anyone notice.... the gyroscopic "wobbles" were present in the clip?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Guys, please stop surmising, as I said this game is not any kind of BOB. Better look at the new update by Oleg: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2040
Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Nice to see the 108 in there, that's been a favourite of mine for a while.

Nike-it, can we expect a comment from someone at Maddox about Birds of Prey?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitch10 View Post
Nice to see the 108 in there, that's been a favourite of mine for a while.

Nike-it, can we expect a comment from someone at Maddox about Birds of Prey?
No, official information will be given later!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Can we expect a video of SoW/BoB any time soon? There is a video of BoP out now,yet the game is not released until next year!!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Approved Member

I doubt it. All we seem to get are a few screenies of planes every few months or so. I guess it's just too much to ask for a real update about what is going on. We seem to just get tidbits to try to keep people hanging on. So much secrecy....unless there is not enough progress to talk about...I vote for the latter.

1946 will keep me happy for quite some time. Apparently, BoB will only cover a small geographical area, and will have a very limited planeset. Much more material in 1946 to keep us busy, so I'll just stay with it.

SoW:BoB? Not really concerned.....yawn
Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

I suspect that, with much of Il-2's source code now publicly available, there is a real risk that Microsoft might try to retake its turf. You realise that, if they were building a sim, they might not talk to us at all. Unlike with Oleg, we might find out about it at around the time its ready for release.

My own theory is simply that Oleg is preparing to release SoW:BoB sometime around Q1 and that Galba will follow a few months later. This would mean that they are busy because they are making progress. Oleg stated in the other thread that the alpha is being readied, the beta isn't likely to be far behind.