Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Approved Member

You could've put that into the Haas thread really...

Anywho, Shamans are made for this fight, so are Emerald Greens. Healing Totems heal Dragons. With 2 Batons, 2 Dragon Slayer's Swords and Rahha's shield you should beat the fight with no losses with a single stack of thorns if you ask me ><
I'm exaggerating of course. Get a Mass Dragon Slayer out if you can and you should thrash him.
As for Giants there is no other solution that to kill them asap. You have good enough troops (resistance-wise, defense-wise and Health-wise) to withstand damage from the Dragons and if you're not lined up stupidly the damage should focus on two or three of your units so it is for the best if you kill them first. If you can't, you can't. You'll just have to eat the earthquake/s, then.

Also I cannot believe that you have no regular Vampires. That is impossible. In every Carved Coffin there is one at least and they are in every graveyard in the game. At least 20 of those in all of Endoria. And in the Land Of The Dead there inevitably are some for sale (it's hihgly unlikely that there aren't ANY). Also with all the ghost ships and Undead castles (Necrocom, Karmag etc.) there just can't be no Vampires or Vampire Bats. Check the savegame scanner, seriously. There you have your 5th unit if you're unhappy with Shamans (although I can't imagine how one can be unhappy with a 15-stack of Black Dragons attacking a Totem Of Death, wasting their turn xD).
Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
With 2 Batons, 2 Dragon Slayer's Swords and Rahha's shield you should beat the fight with no losses with a single stack of thorns if you ask me ><
That would be too much in asingle game, there are games without batons, but two batons...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You could've put that into the Haas thread really...

Anywho, Shamans are made for this fight, so are Emerald Greens. Healing Totems heal Dragons. With 2 Batons, 2 Dragon Slayer's Swords and Rahha's shield you should beat the fight with no losses with a single stack of thorns if you ask me ><
I'm exaggerating of course. Get a Mass Dragon Slayer out if you can and you should thrash him.
As for Giants there is no other solution that to kill them asap. You have good enough troops (resistance-wise, defense-wise and Health-wise) to withstand damage from the Dragons and if you're not lined up stupidly the damage should focus on two or three of your units so it is for the best if you kill them first. If you can't, you can't. You'll just have to eat the earthquake/s, then.

Also I cannot believe that you have no regular Vampires. That is impossible. In every Carved Coffin there is one at least and they are in every graveyard in the game. At least 20 of those in all of Endoria. And in the Land Of The Dead there inevitably are some for sale (it's hihgly unlikely that there aren't ANY). Also with all the ghost ships and Undead castles (Necrocom, Karmag etc.) there just can't be no Vampires or Vampire Bats. Check the savegame scanner, seriously. There you have your 5th unit if you're unhappy with Shamans (although I can't imagine how one can be unhappy with a 15-stack of Black Dragons attacking a Totem Of Death, wasting their turn xD).
Hmm, Im not focusing on the giants in the first round, but it is just so to save lots of enemies attacks, I pretty much decimate the dragons on first turn. Ive recently tried this setup: Knights, Anc Vamps, Demons, Sprites, Sea Dogs. I would have made it if wasnt for a mistake where it was all fine until there was the cyclops left and he hit my anc vampires so there was no way to bring them back... I was trying sprites cuz they take no damage from earthquakes, but Im not sure they are made for this fight since the cyclops tend to pick on them, but they deal great amounts of damage to the cyclops and giants. I dont understand how the giants can be so sturdy, sure they have a bad ass defense but they have no resistances whatsoever...

The Sea Dogs take any dragon stack in 1 hit, even without dragon slayer, but what I said I do is mass battle cry + mass dragon slayer turn 1(I have all the utility/buff spells maxed btw), that is a staple and that is why I tend to go for the dragons first(the knights takes 2 dragon stacks first turn, and the demons take another, then I send the sprites to hit the bone dragons, but they usually leave one single bone dragon alive, those usually go for the ice ball I cast in front of the cyclops. usually on end of first turn there are usually 1-2 dragons stacks alive. Problem is when he starts casting armageddon turn 3[when I start ressing my units kkkk), sometimes he doesnt, but I never know....... I always dispel his sheep/pigmy. Ive been using helplessness on the giants turn 2 they seem to help.

So far I have tried these units:

-Knights, staple(2x dragon stacks gone in first round, if not 3 from retaliation... also have speed 3 with pilgrim boots xD, and can also tank giants later on, maybe I should circle attack a dragon with a giant on the side instead of another dragon?).

-Demons, staple?(Takes one Dragon Stack out first round, retaliation kills other dragons, and can also harass giants later on or summon if far away).

-Anc Vamps, staple?(They seen very good, only kill dragons 1 hit if its critical, can also tank giants, but take some time to actually kill them(armageddon time if its too late xD).

-Shamans(very good support unit but Im not sure if Im playing them right, should I cast totem first turn in front of cyclops? also they have low fire resistance... which can be annoying with black dragons flying over them, also the healing totem sometimes doesnt heal my dragons wth? or am I going mad, it seems like they heal at random).

-EGD(good to pick on the giants with them but they need shamans assistance, and also when I have them I cannot cast timeback on other units otherwise if they die they are gone forever, I usually cast timeback on Sea Dogs who are picked on... also they dont hit as hard as Id like, they need 2 hits to kill a dragon stack).

-Sea Dogs(these guys hit so hard, I have Mirabella, they usually take a dragon stack first turn, then get picked on by black dragons flying over them, and haas likes to pigmy them, second turn if there are 2 stacks grouped together he does some serious damage, when I use them though I have to save timeback for them at end of second turn).

-R Snakes(good, they love to critical hit the dragons which means KO, also no retaliation rules, but they need at least 1 ress due to earthquakes and low fire res, Im not completely sold on them).

-Sprites(no damage from earthquakes, would like them to 1 hit KO the bone Dragons, have to constantly take care of them as they might fall like flies any minute, when using them I have to make sure I kill as many dragons as I can on turn 1, after that they can deal serious damage on giants and cyclops but it has to be on end turn, not sold on them)

Units I tried but did not impress me:

-Griffins(no damage from earthquakes, but just wont cut it on the damage department).
-Horsemen(low damage imo).
-Ghosts(average damage, also their ressing ability is not as powerfull as the vampires, and sort of hard to keep track of the ldr count, seems more like a child I have to take constant care xD, maybe Im not using them properly).

Units I might try:

-Demoness(with or without the angas ruby?, if its with, it means no rahhas shield, see the dilemma here xD, even so Im not sure they will do enough damage to grant a position over demons).
-Bone Dragons?
-Vampires(regular ones are not available in my game, I have triple checked in teh scanner, only a couple of them in a crypt, and I cant sacrifice anymore since this is the last fight).

If u have any ideas on strats or how to properly use units plz enlighten me. I thought I was having a hard time doing that wisdom haas incarnation(Geyser every single turn with no exception xD) with no losses but this is getting the cake. Also Im using the face of pandemonic since it decreases enemy units init, however since Im battle crying always first turn Maybe it would be better to use the elven crown instead?

Last edited by Madstrike; 09-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Approved Member

@msp: well, that's what he said he has. Btw my Paladin game, which when I started didn't know the scanner existed, so that wasn't even hand-picked but random, had 2 Batons.

@Madstrike: you're trying too hard. And you're overanalysing things. You're doing fine. The reason why you can't annihilate everything in 3 turns is because that's just how it is ^^
But I have a few suggestions because I see some difficulties in your play

1. The dispel-trick only makes sense if Haas has to pay 40 Mana (lvl 4 unit) for the Sheep and YOU only pay 5. That requires you to bring lvl 4 units and higher only :> The dispel trick is only there to drain his mana so you don't have to fear (m)any Armageddons. If you bring lvl 1 units and give him the chance to sheep them for 20 or pygmy them for less it's no wonder the dispel doesn't do anything.

2. Shamans are there to distract the enemy with the totems and heal Dragons (but not the undead) with his Axes and the Healing Totem. Their atack itsself is irrelevant so their order of priorities should be:
a) Heal up a low hp stack of unhealables/ressables like Dragons to prevent death
b) Distract an archer or anything else, offer an easy target for hard hitting units to keep damage off your strikers.
c) Block Paths with a totem in the way that going around it costs the unit a turn so it decides it might as well kill the totem instead.
d) Set up a nifty trap for Red Dragons who think the can score a nice Flame Breath by placing a totem in a row with, say, one or two of these: Ice Ball, Phantom, Summon. Knowing the Reds will go for that gives you the chance to put Trap in front of that line. Or just for Black Dragons unless they choose to Fire Flight over them ^^

3. You might consider divorcing Mirabella and instead just get Xeona ^^ I don't see the point having your wife for just one unit in your army while with another wife you either have bonuses for more units or better item slots. And well, Xeona is the clear winner with 2 Weaps and an Artifact.

4. If you change your setup to an all-lvl4+ team and decide to oom him you won't have any of these problems. Just make sure you annihilate Giants first before they get anything off, block the Cyclops so they can't throw and avoid more than 1 or 2 of your units being hurt by Dragon attacks at the same time. As long as no 20 stack of Reds fires through all your units at once you should be fine.

5. Definitely yes to the Elven Crown. It's a 1000 ldr. That's huge ! You should have first dibs through the Ancients Vamps

6. RSnakes are good if you want to take him down fast but for a drain mana attempt where you can ress up they're too fragile and too low lvl. 3 guesses why Sprites are a pain in the ass for this approach.

7. Demonesses are fine through their Fire Resistance although both, her charm and Infernal Exchange spells are useless in that fight. You can't swap Black Dragons, everything is in close quarters anyway and there's no male humanoid in his setup. So what's left is a unit that has one no retaliation attack every 3 rounds. I usually don't bring them but there are by far worse picks.

8. You can't avoid Armageddon entirely. There is no lucky 3rd round devastation of Haas :> I mean, I'm sure others can do that. I for one have never been able to just smash him like that. And since I play no loss per se I don't feel the least bit bad about it

9. The Vampire thing is your own fault ^^ They ARE in every carved coffin, even in the Marshan Swamps as I said and not in "one crypt" as you put it. The savegame scanner can't tell you what's in coffins and it doesn't show it, either. You just sold the carved coffins or dismissed the vampires you pulled from them early in your game. Shame on you xD Because they're the only lvl 3 unit you can bring to a drain mana attempt as Haas almost never crowd controls them, hell knows why. But well, since there's no battle left (big mistake. Remember for the future: keep one upgradeable item (especially that of Human race because of the Gremlin fights) to sacc up whatever you need in case of emergency :>

10. about the Ancient Vampires being left over with only Cyclopses left: why didn't you just sacrifice something living for those and resurrected them a turn later ? ^^

About the 2 Geyser spamming Dragons (Wirz and Zerro, I just did them both because I'm in the Lab in my current game ^^). Both have weaknesses. One has a ridiculously low leadership and poses no threat (for a strong damage dealing army). The other one can be tricked because the only other spell he does is Phantom and that costs him 40 Mana each. Did you know you can dispel a Phantom and kill it with that ? He phantomed 54 Ancient Vampires out of 124. Gone with one click and guess what he cast next round ? Right, Phantom. 1200 Fire Dragonflies. *click* :> So I played him like I play Haas. Two Vampires, Demons, Shamans, Inquisitors (I was too lazy to go get my Black Dragons from Daloer) and just oom him, eat his Geysers and play "kill the 1000hp healing totem" with 8 poor lonely Ancient Vampires when he was oom :>

Hope I could help you.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

Oh, thanks for all the help, man I totally forgot about sacing other creatures for the vamps... and that was a lucky 3rd round without armageddon lol. Anyway, even If I do bring only lvl 4 units, and prolong the battle somehow to make him spend his mana on sheep/pigmy, sometimes it is just not possible to double ress 2x units, and single ress another 3x units(Im talking about over 200 mana just on ressing), where do u get such mana????I have chargers at 5, 3 rage, 2 mana, giving 8 each at the cost of 35. I guess EGD do help here, but I always find myself needing his mana drain ability, when its almost over, so its not very helpfull since he will kill the surviving unit. If I try the mana spring/cloud of poison on my summon trick, the cloud always travels to the enemy unit. Should I use inquisitors? that would severely weaken my fire power, but I guess in teh end it would mean I can ress everyone? My max mana is 114, so its not like I can go on ressing endlessly, but still what would it be better keeping a lone giant left when trying to get the mana, or a lone cyclop?

I have mirabella, not because "I want to use sea dogs", its because I have 2x batons, and I only have shitty artifacts and weapons(except for the 2x dragon slayer swords xD), and a shitload of boots/helmets/shields, it was more of an equipment choice really, also the portal is closed so its not like I can get xeona anyway, unless I backtrack to one of my older savegames, which Im not rly keen on the idea atm.

In the end I think I should take a different approach on my spell selection, In the first turn battle cry seems like a given, but Im not so sure on mass dragon slayer, maybe I should bless the team instead, and attack the giants(retaliating the dragons), or helplessness on one of the giants stack and attack them? Even though these spells might seem worse than dragon slayer, it might be worth trying. I just hate leaving those black dragons flying and hitting sometimes2/3 of my units.

Last edited by Madstrike; 09-15-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Approved Member

Mass bless is a terrible idea with Ancient Vampires

Just check back with my tips on distraction techniques to avoid damage to more than 2 units at once. Especially about Phantoms. Did you know that in 9 out of 10 cases the AI prefers to attack the Phantoms instead of other units within range ? Try a better positioning altogether and make use of Distortion magic, not so much Kaboom. With 2 Swords you have enough damage. You don't need Dragon Slayer so much if you want to outlast Haas rather than insta-rape him ^^

About the mana: At a max of 114 Mana it is very easy to get the mana to ress everybody up using chargers (your mistake, they are supposed to be 3 each, not 2 mana only and give 10 mana/rage, not and magic spring even without Inquisitors. Plus, your Ancient Vampires should be full anyway and your Emeralds, too. Makes only three units that must be ressed. Plus you can spare one unit the Armageddon if you just Glot's Armor it which saves another ress or sacc. Having Concentration at lvl 3 and maybe even wearing a "Well Of Mana" Belt that should be a piece of cake. My Warrior only has 80 and can pull that off. But well, he has 3/3 on Chargers ^^

Another trick is to watch the effectiveness of your resurrects. If for instance you have a stack that didn't lose too many units you can, instead of resurrecting them, sacrifice them for one that is slightly over 100% effectiveness. After that they both have, say, 80% or whatever. This way you can spare a third ress and only need 2.

The next trick is that Time Back works after round 2, too :> If you don't have the mana to ress, use sac lvl 2 on something else for 10 less mana and Time Back after that.

But if you ask me, you should just smash him and not care about losses. I mean your character is misspecced, you threw away good units, your Spirits aren't levelled perfectly well (4 rounds rest on Time Back is devastating and discouraging to restoration attempts; your Chargers suck), you're a little mal-equipped (24 Def ? Oo) and your wife gives no synergies, plus I'm sure you haven't played no-loss throughout the entire game, have you ? So on your victory screen there will be losses listed anyway, so who cares ? ^^ It's best you take your experiences from this playthrough onto the next where I am sure you'll ace it beginning to end :>

Last edited by Vulture; 09-15-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
(although I can't imagine how one can be unhappy with a 15-stack of Black Dragons attacking a Totem Of Death, wasting their turn xD).
I dunno, seeing your stack of demonesses one-shot 15 blacks with a crit is happier (I just finished a play-through, and that was how the fight started for me).

At any rate, I did it with lake fairies + sprites + demonesses + demons + inquisitors (notable items: anga's ruby, whip, demetrius, dragon slayer's sword, face of pandemonic. 27k ldr, 34/16/22 atk/def/int). Haas had one stack of blacks, 2 of greens, 2 of bones, 1 of reds, 2 of giants, 1 of archdemons, 1 of ancient ents.

Basically the fight went:
-soul drain the scariest stack (28 reds for me)
-fairies+sprites go after green dragons
-demonesses+demons go after blacks/reds/archdemons
-bone dragons commit suicide by attacking my demons (seriously in the first turn my demons killed something like 9 reds and 44 bone dragons)
-kill archdemons
-time back lake fairies
-kill giants
-reduce ent stack to 1
-drop ball of ice next to ents
-resurrecting time

Haas had 1 ent after 6 rounds, the fight lasted 25 or so with resurrecting.

EDIT: Also I'd ignore the giants to start with. Giants do poor damage and have a crapton of hp, plus they can only attack every second turn. You can prevent an earthquake doing 500 damage to 5 stacks, or you can prevent red dragons doing 6k damage to 1-2 stacks. Your choice.

Last edited by dainbramage; 09-15-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Approved Member

yeah I guess ur right, I do have enough damage, and anywho my rage spirits all suck like u said, cant rely on that 4 turn rest timeback kkk, or those crappy chargers for that matter. Ill prolly try out crossworlds now, do u know of a database for the new units in the cw exp? I havent found them anywhere, and does the scanner works for cw? sry asking this here, but looks like ur the only one around here willing to help xD. I might come back to the legend after that one.

ps: oh I did it: with shamans, EGD, knights, demons, and anc vamps. I wasnt rly trying I think I just lucked out with a critical from my demons on his cyclops stack, otherwise the armageddon would come for sure xD. Anyway, this time around I spread my troops a lot more, and cast helplessness on one of the giants from the get go, and started pounding on them, he just kept pigmying/sheeping my creatures(shamans and demons are his favorite targets), he also likes to hypnotize my demon summons, lol. It helped also that I phantomed my shamans for more totens cheese and target. Also I left my vampires at first relatively unguarded to let the dragons pound them, since they res themselves so fast. Sure this was on normal with a mage, but this was my first playthrough of the legend so Im happy for it xD. Regarding the no losses, yeah I had quite a few losses in the beginning since I wasnt aiming for that, only started doing it after I got to the islands, but still good, maybe afterwards I go hard mode no losses on the legend, but first I wanna try crossworlds.

Last edited by Madstrike; 09-15-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Congrats, Madstrike. Going for no losses is almost definitely better served for later games what units are good and what kind of opposition you'll likely be up against. I'm still figuring out how useful different units are.

@Vulture: Your 10 point post is printer-worthy for future reference. Thanks for sharing all of that! You've been a great help with this game!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Approved Member

@drainbamage: that is probably why your fight lasted 25 and mine 10. Nuff said

@madstike: I don't know the least thing about AP and Crossworlds, I'm sorry. I think they're flops :/

@Helios: pleased to hear that. I could also learn things from you and/or remember them while re-writing them for you (your item list helped putting things in perspective, that was well done!). Plus, and that I'm the most thankful for, you sparked my interest in this game again xD I would've never played this old unfinished Warrior game without you and Madstrike appearing on the forums asking questions. I used to be here just to troll people ever since the big boom ended in late 2010 and the forums became deserted.

And I already feel like playing another game ! Probably Mage with a heavy archer team. I'm thinking Hunters, Cannoneers and Skellies with Shamans and Emeralds (Ancient Bears/Griffins until I have Time Back lvl 5). I'll need an Elven Crown to make up for the morale loss suffered because of the Dwarves.