Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

Well dont be afraid to let me get my ass handed to me :p
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Approved Member

Cheers Reaper,
Was starting to feel all alone in my flying coffin!
I've dropped some messages out via psn to the guys that can't always make it on here so I hoping when I get in tonight I'll have a few replies.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Thanks to all that have confirmed for later.
10pm GMT tonight- look out for McQ hosting.
See you all there!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Apiarist View Post
Hi all, been getting back in the air more lately (Xbox 360) and am hoping we can organize some Historical and or Free flight events. People that may be interested in organizing this as they have a lot of contacts.

Bobbysockser
Rambo 360

Let me know if you are interested and I will help out.
yeah i would organize it for xbox. my server goes squirrelly now and then but i am game. we just need to work out a time.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Approved Member

Default Last Night

Hi McQ and Gilly, Hi all!

Would like to share my experience with last night's attempt. I was there at the time and since I had run into Mage before I asked him if he'd like to come along. He agreed, I was thinking that it doesn't matter too much if he's not yet in the picture since I was expecting the thing to start from a text chat with a briefing.

From previous experience I know how difficult it is to keep a lobby 'on the same page', the bigger the lobby and the more complex the mission, the harder it is. Even having a mic doesn't really solve this if the lobby is large. Voice quality goes right down, and then you have the possibility that someone has turned their sound off, or doesn't speak English.

It was impressive to see a full room of 16 players right at the beginning (the plague's over Mcq ). I don't know what everybody knew of the mission beforehand, but I can say for sure that it was too late for Mage to get the picture. He really didn't know what's going on, and perhaps he wasn't alone.
Because of this I started the text chat and was hoping we'd do the briefing there - sorry guys, I didn't mean to hijack your game.

Anyway it didn't catch on. Mage then decided to drop out and since I had brought him in I decided to pass as well. We played a great game of I16s in Club rules instead. There was another opportunity later which I missed since I was in a game with themeistor who wanted to do training for his semifinals.

So I missed the main action yesterday. Would like to hear your experience with the setup and mission!

We got to play some missions when the main show was over and only Zhang from the first group remained. We briefed the newcomers Stapler and Vdomini in the text chat (twice, since they didn't come at the same time...), and later again alfabravowiskey and wakespeak. It takes a lot of time to brief in text chat, especially when you have to do it repeately. I even sent wolfsalt away since i was tired of briefing again. Sorry wolf!

The missions (first 2 vs 2, later 3 vs 3) turned out to be great and immersive. There were a lot of problems however landing the Spitfire in Hawkinge, which delayed the games a lot. We also decided to not use the maps which led to some orientation problems. Here it would have made sense to make landing proficiency and prior orientation mandatory.

So long story short, I think historical missions are a great add on and we should keep writing more 'scripts' for them. But to make a good experience I think the briefings and questions should be all completed before starting a lobby. Even text chat is not good for this, only for collecting all players who are in the picture before starting the lobby, so that they know when to expect the lobby to go live and jump right in (in the correct number of players).

I think it should be known some time before who exactly will play, and by their 'application' for a game event they acknowledge having been briefed, so only a very few questions (or better none) remain before the game. Also it should not be allowed to bring someone along as I tried yesterday.

Hope I don't sound too harsh but I feel it's much more fun playing when all is clear than spending so much time trying to keep it together.

Hope we'll play this again soon!

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 02-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

I think I see exactly what you mean MAC. The challenge is the sync- and communicationissues between the players. Were to do the briefing is a real problem, and I don't really know how to solve it.
The succes last night was the full lobby! The bombrun against Canterbury went of pretty nice. The cathedral was levelled, and the bombers went on to France pretty much unchallenged by the fighters. A bit boring for the bomberjocks...

The odd rogue-pilots is a challenge in itself. It seems to be something like a "law" that applies to this kind of attempts to set up organized missions - there's allways one that don't get the idea, don't have a mic or cope with the language and communication. It be in the lobby or in the chat... A sequel should absolutely provide the possibility to set up private lobbies based on invites to "involved" pilots. My opinion...

I guess we have to be a little patient, and plan long term. The more players we can involve in the pre-planning in here, the better. And then start the mission in the textchat, invite players, do the briefing and then take right off in to a lobby to fill it up quick. It is like u say... The time to organize and administrate each mission steals a lot of focus, but how to solve it due to the possibillities we have with the present lobbysystem, I really can't figure out for the time beeing.

Let's see what the future brings guys, and we'll keep trying till we get it, and don't loose the momentum the game has right now. It's a bunch of skilled players who want to have fun right now. Last night I think we did a fairly good try. Sooner or later we'll make it!

See you in the skies
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Approved Member

Smile

Hi McQ,

I have an idea how to solve it. Whoever wants to organize/host such a historical mission starts a thread and occupies say immediately the first two posts for later editing.

First post:
  • Brief Mission outline
  • Time and Date
  • Player Skill Prerequisites
  • Room Size
  • Participants list

Second post:
  • Detailed Briefing
  • Additional materials (pictures, maps, etc.)

I think the trick is to handle this like a mini tournament. You have to make players commited and familar with the rules. And you have to act according to plan - no additional players who have not registered and have been admitted. Stick to the time. Penalize (yes, sorry) players who commit and don't show (e.g. blocked for next event). And it's the organizer who calls the shots, e.g. who will be admitted to participate and who not.

Hope we'll soon see lots of such events spring up, and work.

MAC
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Good one MAC. I think it might work. It takes a bit of long term planning, but that's okay. The key is the thread to brief the mission, and the discipline to stick to the plan.

Let's see if it is possible. I can't promise to organize the next one, but give me a little time to think about it. I'll be around the forum anyway, so I'll propably throw in some stuff to get it to fly. I have the possibilty to host due to my connection/broadband, so let's see what we can pull off.

And thanks to the players from last night. Well... most of them anyway I had great fun in my E-3 there. The brits put up a good fight!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

a battle of britian where hurris and spits battle the 109s and volkwaffe!!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

On the subject on map orientation: Would it be a fair compromise for people to only use the in-game map to get to their home base? It'd make for a faster setup of teams.

And as Mac said, we had alot of trouble landing the Spit at Hawkinge. It tips over so easily. We eventually settled for circling the airfield.

Last edited by Akula; 02-21-2011 at 09:27 PM.