Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

Still no source, i wonder why.......
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Only in emergency or special operational conditions the aircraft is flow at the "maximum rpm/boost for level flight" (later called "all out") limits and not above.
Read above it.....

"rpm limitations are directly associated with similar limitations on boost pressures also defined in relation to the operational condition".........

(vi) It may only be exceeded momentarily during aerobatics, fighting manoeuvers, or when diving.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpp View Post
Read above it.....

"rpm limitations are directly associated with similar limitations on boost pressures also defined in relation to the operational condition".........

(vi) It may only be exceeded momentarily during aerobatics, fighting manoeuvers, or when diving.

Dowding:

Quote:
"The use of the automatic boost cut out control enables the pilot to get an emergency boost of + 12lbs per sq. in, from the engine for 5 minutes when the circumstances demand it..."

(ii) Limit of 5 mins, for a maximum of 3,000 rpm at 6.25lb/sq. in. or more.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/dowding.pdf
Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Read above it.....

This is related only to "maximum r.p.m. for level flight", described in paragraph (a) of the (vi), not related to "maximum boost for level flight" described in paragraph (b).
Of course the violation in these condition is not intended. It's caused by the constant speed propeller that has a certain delay before it can counteracts a increase/decrease of engine speed.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Read above it.....

This is a training manual from 1937 and is general to all aircraft types of the time, so what it has to do with Merlin engines with 100 octane and +12lbs boost in 1940 is anybody's guess. Anyway I'd really like to see the anecdotes - and I note the word anecdotes - about the +16 lbs on 87 Octane...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

re the anecdotes,

Last edited by fruitbat; 05-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Approved Member

I'm going to risk a newb. mistake of going back to the thread title, which was "A.P. 129 RAF Flying Training Manual, Part I - Landplanes". I have an unintentionally hilarious 1939 Hurricane manual, which is trying to explain how to deal with spins. It concludes with the following:
Quote:
The instructions laid down in the Flying Training Manual Part I., Chapter III, paragraph 134, are applicable to the Hurricane, but should be amplified in light of the foregoing remarks.
I would love to get my hands on this paragraph 134, which probably says something like "get out of a spin before your altitude is too low." Does anyone have suggestions where to find it? I've got quite a collection of WW2 manuals, but mostly US.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHistory View Post
I'm going to risk a newb. mistake of going back to the thread title, which was "A.P. 129 RAF Flying Training Manual, Part I - Landplanes". I have an unintentionally hilarious 1939 Hurricane manual, which is trying to explain how to deal with spins. It concludes with the following:
I would love to get my hands on this paragraph 134, which probably says something like "get out of a spin before your altitude is too low." Does anyone have suggestions where to find it? I've got quite a collection of WW2 manuals, but mostly US.
Thanks.
If you send a personal message to 41_Sqn Banks, who originally posted the pages from the manual, he could most likely help.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

At least no one has said 16 squadrons

Damn
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
At least no one has said 16 squadrons

Damn
Yes we are all still waiting for the identification of those 16 squadrons.