Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

Default bailout procedure

Is the bailout procedure the same as in il2? I think that there are a lot of new possibilities with the clickable cockpits.

It would make a big difference if we could click the emergency handle of the canopy. If the plane is in a smooth glide downwards it shouldn't be that hard, but in case your wing was shot off... When the plane would be spiraling down towards the ground, it would be good to experience heavy headshakes. Then it will be a lot more difficult to direct your mouse to the handle.
I don't know in how far that could be done for the bombercrew as well... being trashed around in the aircrafts hull, trying to click the escape hatch, could be a terrifying experience.

I've read a lot of horror stories that occurred during the bail out. In the chaos sometimes people not only opened their seatbelt, but also the belts of their parachute...
The real horror of those aspects can never be put into a combat simulator, but every measure to make a player feel a little bit more powerless in the situation of a bailout is a good one, I think. If I just have to push a button like it was in il2, I feel more like detaching from the pilot than only detaching from the airplane.

It contributes to the immersion of a crash, without the need for complex animations of the pilot.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
a bit more images
hi all, dear Oleg, what hardware your use for get this pics ?

and what fps your get in this hardware ?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf-110 View Post
*Drools*

Is it me or those images are low quality?Looks like they are from IL2...
This belonged to one of the first in game shots.
the interior has a lot more details than il2 obviously, but no fancy lightning.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

S!

Whatnot, mikä ettei. Kyllä LLv34 meinaa SoW lennellä Well, to the 3rd party things..we will see after release of SoW and ultimately the tools and documentation what can be done and what not.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Yes sir it is. One shared by a lot of folks I might add.

And the above is pure conjecture on your part. Where did I say I don't want to learn anything? Blackdog your posts are not usually so full of invective, and frankly guesswork, as this one is.

Just another offliner slagging onliners?

Sure sounds that way to me.
Actually i was in a bit of a hurry and that's why it's worded a bit rough. Funny thing is i knew i was setting myself up for a misunderstanding but didn't have the time to do my usual proof-reading routine
To clarify things a little better, i wasn't referring to you or anyone else in particular. Actually i was just hinting at a mentality that i've seen emerge in the flight sim community (and most other gaming genres really), where some people are so enthusiastic about their hobby (good) that they are starting to take unnatural pride in their in-game achievements (bad)...take that from them and they will start to moan a lot.

As for the online/offline divide, i think the distinguishing factor is once again the user's preferred difficulty settings. I haven't flown online in a long time due to a host of connectivity problems, but before that i would usually spend one month flying online and then have a break of a few weeks flying offline.
My experience was that i was actually using higher difficulty settings when flying online. Offline i keep icons and external views on, because sometimes i'm just in it to relax and the AI is a bit too good in some aspects (no overheat, perfect trim, etc). Yes, i like to have it the easy way too sometimes and have impossible carreers where i can "game the game" and score insane amounts of kills...but what i like about it is that i'm not forced or locked into this gameplay style, i can change back to high difficulty settings when i want a challenge, something i wouldn't be able to do if there was not a higher level of difficulty included in the software.

Online, i want the extra difficulty imposed on me because it's also imposed on everyone else and that creates windows of opportunity to exploit in combat. I'm not a hot-shot by any means but i still find it better to run the risk of getting bounced but also have the chance to surprise someone myself, than have perfect awareness but never be able to sneak up on somebody because of external views.

Actually, this is why i'm so much in favor of increased systems modelling. The planes of the time weren't as ergonomically designed as modern ones and they required a lot of "head in the cockpit" time. Maybe not to push buttons, as it could be done in a semi-blind, tactile fashion (just like operating your car CD player by muscle memory and fumbling about a bit, while your eyes are still on the road), but definitely to check the instruments for abnormal parameters that could signify the start of malfunctions or combat damage.

I think that this is missing from prop-driven combat sims and we're also missing out on a lot of potential tactical peculiarities that will be interesting to face. That's what i meant when saying that clicking on stuff and checklists is barely the tip of the iceberg...the core of the issue is having this complexity modelled and i'm happy mr. Maddox confirmed it's in the new game engine, start-up procedures or not.

I can't wait to have a hostile bounce me in a superior but more complex plane, only to see him stall out and wallow in front of my gunsight during his zoom climb because he forgot his carb management and his engine lost power due to icing, or have the same happen to me.
Another one...when flying a dynamic campaign and the enemy is sneaking in below radar coverage to a base that's not on readiness, the campaign engine could place you in the cockpit without a warmed up engine. Usually mechanics would start the engines every now and then, or just use external heaters to keep the oil warm enough for a smooth, fast start. But if the base is on stand-down for some reason (late in the evening/end of day's ops and suddenly a flight of 110s from ErPro 210 appears on a low lever run), you could be in trouble.
Online, this would work by having some form of radar information relayed to you on the map screen so that you could choose the best spawning location...but in a similar fashion if a hostile player approached below the radar you could be caught on the ground with a cold engine.
In both cases, you might have to slam the throttles forward, incure some damage to the engine and have to fly the rest of the mission with deteriorating performance, or you might even have to simply exit the plane and run for cover...just like it could happen back then when pilots and planes were caught on the ground with no warning.

Also, even on automatic, single-keypress startup, engines should fail to start sometimes and require a second or third attempt...it almost happens in IL2 when sometimes the engine takes longer to start, but i've never had a failed start attempt yet where i press "I" and the engine won't start. I think this is somewhat modelled in RoF. It doesn't have a manual startup sequence either, but you can see the switches move in the cockpit as you give the start command and it's possible for the engine to stall and quit instead of starting. It would be a very good compromise to have it modelled like that in SoW.

Clicking or not, flying with a checklist on your lap or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is having the possibility of these things happening (and according to developers it seems like we'll have it) to spice up our gameplay and bring it closer to what we've read about in pilot memoirs and history books, because let's face it, when i can press one key and be guaranteed an engine start every single time regardless of outside air and oil temperature, firewall the throttle without having the cold oil exceed the pressure limits and break my oil lines and then slopilly take off from a bumpy taxiway without breaking anything, it makes things a lot less exciting and immersive than they could have been.

Like i've said in the past when the topic of what we expect from SoW came up, i don't expect a simulator where i can crank everything up to full difficulty and not have to adjust to new things. I expect a simulator where setting difficulty to full will lead to being frustrated, overwhelmed and even scared the first few days, because that's as close as we'll ever get to feeling like a 19 year old reservist straight out of flight school going on his first combat mission

Hope i cleared the offending bits up a bit, cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

Being behind some one when they ail will look fantastic in this sim I imagine.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

news from Russia about new title!
IL-2 Sturmovik:Battle For Britain
announce in russian:
Посетителей ждут эксклюзивные показы «Red Orchestra 2: Герои Сталинграда», Sho 2: Total War, «Ил-2 Штурмовик: Битва за Британию», «Ведьмак 2: Убийцы королей», «Полный привод 3», Inversion, F.E.A.R. 3.
http://games.1c.ru/?type=news
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-JETTer View Post
announce in russian:
Посетителей ждут эксклюзивные показы «Red Orchestra 2: Герои Сталинграда», Sho 2: Total War, «Ил-2 Штурмовик: Битва за Британию», «Ведьмак 2: Убийцы королей», «Полный привод 3», Inversion, F.E.A.R. 3.
This must be the expo Oleg mentioned the other week where they are testing nVidia stuff. Interesting that it is listed as IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Britain and not Storm of War.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-JETTer View Post
announce in russian:
Indeed it seems to be a first official presentation; developers from all over the world are expected to attend this show...But I do remember Oleg saying it would not be an open presentation but more a behind-the-doors one...

But it is the first harbinger of things to come!

JV
Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

The Babelfish translation is of:
"Visitors wait exclusive showings [...]
which jives with Oleg's indication of a closed-door presentation.

I've got to say, looks like they're getting close to Beta... dare we hope for a Q1 2011 release?
It certainly looks like they've got the bones and flesh of the sim set up and are down to tweaking and bug-hunting...