Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Approved Member

Geeeez with the bitching! Sure, Clod was promising, the engine management and whatnot. But from the beginning to the last patch, everybody were complaining. Where are we now? Even the developers admitted that it's just not gonna work out! Still people keep 'plaining about BoS. Well tell you what- SIMS don't sell anymore in case you didn't realise. There HAS to be a marketing plan, which in this case means a campaign that speaks volumes to a large audience (russian especially). And the game itself, I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet, as I'm poor. But from what I see, it looks BLOODY good, and judging from RoF point of view, I don't think the physics or damage modelling will suck either. I just want a GOOD, playable WW2 air combat sim. It's been too long. If you want a WW2 plane sim with minimal emphasis on the playability, wait for the Luthier's DCS sim and stfu.

Happy New Year's simmers with hugs and kisses to all! <3
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Are you a tough guy away from a keyboard
Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
Slipball, as someone who was in from Day 1 I don't recognise the picture you keep painting of a near-perfect initial release that was ruined unnecessarily by the devs making pointless and unwanted changes.
The game at release had huge problems.
There were big complaints right from the start about FM.
yeah, not sure where this perfect game on release stuff is coming from myself, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranac View Post
Of course it had problems for you, trying to run sim with two generations old gfx card. I concluded that from your sig.
If you had midrange card from 4xx or 5xx series you would see the difference.
Yes but someone with a top flight 8800 should have been able to at least get the sim to run.. I couldn't even get it to run over water.. with one plane.. That was un acceptible and the main reason why CoD failed initially .. even if there were some who ran it with no problems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I still think Cliffs Of Dover should have had a 'Perfect' graphic mode like the original IL-2 series.

There were lots of people who happily played the original series without even trying to play with 'Perfect' settings, and it took years sometimes for hardware to come out that was capable of pushing some of the effects in 'Perfect' mode. But at least people knew what the deal was, and the game still looked alright in 'Normal' mode.

I think 'Cliffs Of Dover' just wasn't scalable enough in the same way. The hardware on release (CPU and GPU) wasn't powerful enough to brute force good frame-rates at the best settings when there was a lot of action happening, but turning settings down quickly made the game look substandard.
+1.. On it's lowest settings it should have looked like IL2 on Medium or High..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHouse View Post
Geeeez with the bitching! Sure, Clod was promising, the engine management and whatnot. But from the beginning to the last patch, everybody were complaining. Where are we now? Even the developers admitted that it's just not gonna work out! Still people keep 'plaining about BoS. Well tell you what- SIMS don't sell anymore in case you didn't realise. There HAS to be a marketing plan, which in this case means a campaign that speaks volumes to a large audience (russian especially). And the game itself, I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet, as I'm poor. But from what I see, it looks BLOODY good, and judging from RoF point of view, I don't think the physics or damage modelling will suck either. I just want a GOOD, playable WW2 air combat sim. It's been too long. If you want a WW2 plane sim with minimal emphasis on the playability, wait for the Luthier's DCS sim and stfu.
Happy New Year's simmers with hugs and kisses to all! <3
LMAO! Kinda strong but ..

BoS is pretty good regardless to what some say and it is an Alpha at 36%.. The current map is tiny when compared to the final map.. and many of the effects are still not there.. BoS also runs on a variety of rigs .. something CoD did not do very well at all when it was released 5 years late I might add which added insult to injury.. Don't forget if yiou recall folks had been waiting for CoD for quite some time. It was that long wait and the expectations that they engendered and the final product that was installed on folks' drives after that wait that was the main cause of the bitterness around CoD.TF has done an AMAZING job in turning CoD into a viable sim .. and frankly IMO a sim that can only be enjoyed by a few hundred folks ... is not a viable sim. CoD as it is now can be enjoyed by just about anyone with a decent rig and it doesn't have to be top of the line. It can even be a few years old.. Today I can run CoD TF 4.0 on my old rig from 2011 ... which I still have. I should have been able to do that in 2011.

This doesn't have to be a my schlong is bigger than yours kind of deal.. Like it or not BoS is going to be fantastic and you (a general you not a specific YOU directed at one person..) can either enjoy it or not .... Hopefully DCS WWII will be on time give or take a month or two at the most and be thoroughly enjoyable.. even if it has bugs, which is to be expected.. I have no doubt that CoD will continue to flourish and even if development stopped dead in it's tracks where it is now there is enough there to make it the best BoB environment to fly in.. and IL2 will probably still be flown for a long time and I doubt that we will ever see it's likes again in any WWII sim in terms of plane set, theater set and pound for pound playability..

I don't understand why folks have to knock one product over another.. or the adherants of one product over another as if they were Mr. Macy ragging Mr. Bloomingdale. It isn't like anyone here created any of these sims. I have supported every one of the above mentioned sims.. because I am a simmer at heart.. and I would like to see them all succeed... but at this point from what I have seen from the teams involved BoS has the best chance to truly succeed IL2. I don't see a lot of theaters coming from the DCS WWII camp.. nor do I see that coming from the CoD camp within the next 24 months which ios nopt to say that both products will not grow and do well.. but I just see BoS covering at least two more theaters or regions of conflict within the same time frame.

Last edited by Bearcat; 01-05-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

BOS is very good for entry level, so I think the more new pilots the better for the genre.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Yes but someone with a top flight 8800 should have been able to at least get the sim to run.. I couldn't even get it to run over water.. with one plane.. That was un acceptible and the main reason why CoD failed initially .. even if there were some who ran it with no problems..

+1.. On it's lowest settings it should have looked like IL2 on Medium or High..
Man, you're talking about gfx card from 2007. Even that gtx260 is two times faster than 8800gt.
And you're wrong, two of my friends were flying at the release. One had cheap AMD x2 and 9600gt 512MB (~15% slower than 8800gt) and he was flying online and shooting down planes, on low settings and 1300 res of course. Second one had gts250 1GB(=9800gt=8800gt) and he was getting 20-30 fps over land low @1920.
Those are pics from one friend that is still flying on 9800gt and he is regular on ATAG, big map, lots of action.

Does it look perfect? No, low res textures are noticeable on wings and in cockpit. But that doesn't look bad at all.
Same as in BoS but there are no hi-res textures at all. When I see a screenshot with look on a wing and those poor textures its like someone puts finger in my eye.

And I can imagine how the artist who made those beautiful cockpits of 109 feels when he saw them trashed in BoS.
He even wrote few lines on sukhoi. Sadness.

P.S. sorry for huge ss.

Last edited by vranac; 01-05-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranac View Post
Man, you're talking about gfx card from 2007. Even that gtx260 is two times faster than 8800gt.
And you're wrong, two of my friends were flying at the release. One had cheap AMD x2 and 9600gt 512MB (~15% slower than 8800gt) and he was flying online and shooting down planes, on low settings and 1300 res of course. Second one had gts250 1GB(=9800gt=8800gt) and he was getting 20-30 fps over land low @1920.
Those are pics from one friend that is still flying on 9800gt and he is regular on ATAG, big map, lots of action.

Does it look perfect? No, low res textures are noticeable on wings and in cockpit. But that doesn't look bad at all.
Same as in BoS but there are no hi-res textures at all. When I see a screenshot with look on a wing and those poor textures its like someone puts finger in my eye.

And I can imagine how the artist who made those beautiful cockpits of 109 feels when he saw them trashed in BoS.
He even wrote few lines on sukhoi. Sadness.

P.S. sorry for huge ss.

You are wasting your time my friend, it will fail on the mindless. Bearcat is a prime example of what is wrong in our genre. People who don't want to see these sims get too beautiful or complicated, because then an up-grade would have to be done to their rig. And so a great studio has folded, and reputations have been tarnished and even destroyed. The game was a masterpiece on release with bugs that would have been corrected in time, but should have been corrected only for strong PC's.(Oleg might have taken that route, we will never know) llya, the chopped up game that is out there today, is nothing but a sad remnant.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Ok quit the personal stuff and keep it on track .

Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
You are wasting your time my friend, it will fail on the mindless. Bearcat is a prime example of what is wrong in our genre. People who don't want to see these sims get too beautiful or complicated, because then an up-grade would have to be done to their rig.
Yes I know that mate, but I just can't stand when some people write stuff thats not true. You can see on one of those screanshots my friend TURK Can he was regularly flying with c2duo and gtx260, he had problems because Clod needs more than two cores and he upgreded graphic card to gtx670 but no joy , CPU power is needed also.

And I agree with you completely, someone wants nice graphics but don't want to upgrade PC.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post

The game was a masterpiece on release
Why the re-writing of history? I just don't understand. Here's a quote from Luthier;

" We shipped a product that had too many technical issues for us to really focus on finer elements of gameplay. There had never been a point, we're not even there today, where we could sit back, look at the code, and say, hell, what a great foundation, let's build a great game on top of it. "

Here's another;

"Obviously no one here wants to repeat the Cliffs of Dover release fiasco. We really do want to get it right next time."

Or even;

"I can’t even remember anything that was cut per se."

And finally;

"The situation sucks. I see no reason to sugarcoat it with bull. I don't want to go make empty promises or try to prove that black is white. We released a faulty game."

What happened........happened but CoD ain't over yet. Be sure!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Approved Member

Two things:

1)
Not a masterpiece on release, but not broken either. Ran absolutely fine on my machine (i7 3.4, GTX 580 3gig, 8gig ram). I never have understood what happened in the forums on the sims release. Not rational.

2)
Any quotes from Luthier need a pretty big grain of salt.

RedToo.

43 Squadron.

My 'Waiting for Clodo' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee