Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Nutcase View Post
Cool vid though I really wish they would get the right markings for the aircraft. Hurricanes with crosses and 109's with roundels just ain't where it's at.
one thing i noticed was the raf tail bar also appeared to be part of the roundels layer, as seen on the hammerheading italian plane.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

I suppose if Oleg had any Idea what was going to happen to his "baby", he might have found a more generic name for it. It is, however, what it is and I too will buy it no matter what the hell they call it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

I'll pay $300 for the damn thing if I have to.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Titus View Post
one thing i noticed was the raf tail bar also appeared to be part of the roundels layer, as seen on the hammerheading italian plane.
Like in Il-2 you may select aircraft and select the country (markings).
It is in quick mission builder one of the features as well as online feature.
For Example in Il-2 online I was flying on a "captured" Bf109G or K with red stars.
Users at exhibition simply tried all accessible options.

In campaign mode you can't change the markings.

Where is a problem?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

I sure hope that one day I can fly the Avro Anson 1. It was one of the very first model aircraft I built by myself as a very young boy. I still have it somewhere. It's well over 40 years old now.

I can't explain why I like it, but I do.

I guess it's the same reason I like the Lockheed Hudson/Ventura series aircraft. Lesser known planes that still did a good job.

The new sim is looking wonderful Oleg.

I look forward to another 9 years of enjoyment from your work.

Thanks.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
And Storm of War is perfect for future, when there's not only the flight sim part.

Now I totally agree.

But in this case we don't we're left without a name for the flight sim.

SoW: Battle of Britain doesn't work as you take SoW as an umbrella for everything, like future Tanks sims.

SoW
-> ?(flight sim division)
---> BOB
---> BfM

-> ? (tank sim div.)
--->...

PS: I really don't see a reason to sell the same product with different names on different continents, that's pathetic.
What do they call McDonalds in Russia, or Red Bull?
Right.

Last edited by swiss; 11-10-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Approved Member

I hope the publisher wakes up to the fact that "IL-2: Battle of Britain" makes no sense to the average game consumer and is just confusing for anyone familiar with IL2.

Storm of War is a perfect name for the new series, one that will be more than 'just' a flight sim. The new sim is guaranteed mass game-press and viral coverage from the ground-breaking quality it will bring. No need to try to piggy-back off IL-2's success other than "From the creators of...".

Good luck bringing them around to your (sensible) way of thinking Oleg.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Nutcase View Post
I hope the publisher wakes up to the fact that "IL-2: Battle of Britain" makes no sense to the average game consumer and is just confusing for anyone familiar with IL2.
+1

Also, in Russia 'IL2' probably means something to most people (just as 'Spitfire' means a lot in Britain), but for the average consumer in 'the West' 'IL2' means nothing.

Just call it 'FLY'

Flying online as Setback.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

I agree, a lot of people will be saying, "so when's IL-3 going to be released?" and "Is IL-1 any good?" (People have asked me that very question).

I believe Major_Setback proposed the title Oleg Maddox Flying Games, or OMFG.

-= OMFG =-
Battle of Britain

Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
You're right partly in my opinion. The first IL-2 had the problem in North America of being held in Russia. I've asked quite a few people around here about WWII and how much fighting went on in Russia and many of them don't have the foggiest idea. The first 2001 IL-2 had one of the best box arts I've ever seen.

http://pwned.com/gamecovers/pc/165be...Sturmovik_.jpg
While I probably knew more than the Average American about what went on in Russia during the war, I had no desire to buy a sim about a Russian ground attack plane.

I wanted air to air combat. I wanted to be able to fly American, British, and German fighters. After looking at the original way back when, I didn't pay much attention to the series after that (though I did buy and play Pacific Fighters without knowing there was any connection to IL-2).

Names are important. IL-2 had me fooled into thinking it was only about air to ground. I was ignorant of later add ons that would have made the game a must have for me.

Americans will like a great sim about the Battle of Britain but they would LOVE an add on centered around the invasion of Europe and the bombing campaign against Germany. Hopefully that somehow gets done by someone in the future.

So hopefully they get the name right. Since IL-2 was so popular, that needs to be in there somewhere but not "up front". The name also has to be generalized to cover other theaters and other types of games.

Splitter