Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

I was drooling over the latest screenshots again and there is this “gun camera” switch.
Currently it’s in the off position, might it be possible to put it on?
Maybe?

Niels
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Hello everyone!

I saw this site with the BOB SOW for sale, is something true, or is it a mistake?

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1021...n/Product.html

~S~
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

S!

Pablo: the release date there can be whatever, has changed over the years All we need to know is that SoW is now close to be ready

I find this discussion of the realism and what is modelled quite interesting. There is a camp that basically want the fiery furball action with minimal input from themselves, the mediocre that wants some more than just the same old fruball over a certain place of map and then some that could live with all the complexity of the simulator. The last group being propably smallest. I belong to it.

Why? First of all I do NOT challenge Oleg's vision and what he has said, everything due it's time and 3rd party. That was made clear by Oleg. All is just my own views of the issue. For me realism means going all the way, there are no shortcuts because something is not convenient or allegedly fun. I want to learn, challenge my skills to the maximum while I fly the sim. To see if I am up to the challenge! I want the experience reflect something from over 70 years ago, within the limits of a computer game can generate.

It is not being masochist, it all comes from my work! I maintain, repair, arm, refuel, do checks and inspections, change parts and lead a team to get things done within a schedule. And all this happens by following PROCEDURES to the letter, there are NO shortcuts or "I do not want to do it because it is boring or smears my hands". It is 100% by the book and regulations or nothing, you are responsible for the work you do, the pilot depends on your work.

What this has to do with SoW? Well, even I would be the 0.01% minority that enjoys starting the plane all the way, monitor temperatures and pressures, trim, do checks..I would do it! There are pilot manuals out there fairly easily to get and printed. I miss something during the procedures and the sim might punish me with a bad engine performance or even a malfunction. It happened IRL and and they had no REFLY. The manuals are there to make it safer and to make sure you do not cross the limits.

You have to remember that back in WW2 most pilots got training in plane systems(not in super detail, but something) so they would have an idea how the plane works thus giving them some knowledge what could go wrong and where if they abuse the plane or cut corners. SoW models systems and other things in more detail than anything up to date so I expect it to surpass IL-2's very simplified CEM for example. So realism is the only option for me.

Therefore I find it amusing that many just want the "instant action gratification" and realism to a level that only is favorable for them. Even with 100% realism we lack a lot of the work load a real pilot had. Sure a limitation of being a game and lack of equipment(switches, controllers, you name it) but nevertheless with a sound approach doable to make a challenge.

End of rant. I patiently will wait for SoW and see. When finally can double click on it's icon on my desktop I will know how it is done. But I have faith and trust Oleg's vision.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BLW=Pablo View Post
I saw this site with the BOB SOW for sale, is something true, or is it a mistake?
Y.A.S.P. - Yet Another SoW Preorder.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Oleg, will we see hedgerows like this in SoW? (which are currently missing from the shots posted)

Petham area:

Hadlow; one of my more local areas

Hadlow tower; I wonder if this is included in SoW?

A nice shot here of farmland. A good colour indicator, despite what you say about lenses, this is exactly the colours I see with my own eyes in the summer-time. The farmland layout is probably too modern though.

A LOT more here: http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/Portfolio.htm I understand that these shots are fairly recent, but they provide a great view of the landscape IMHO. Take it or leave it Oleg
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Approved Member

I jump a little late on the discussion, and get a bit confused about what will be modeled. I understand that realistic parameter of engine and system operation will be modeled, but we will not have clickable all switches, buttons and lever because a lot of them were only needed for start up or shut down procedure only.
I'm more than fine with all that, but i would like to know if we will have clickable swiches, knobs and buttons for things that are used during flight. For example:
- Turn on/off internal light
- Same with external lights
- Activate weapons or bombs (dont know if any planes of BoB had something like this, i'm just guessing here for giving an example).
- Change radio frequency
- Knobs of instruments like altimeter or other

And thigs like that.
I mean, i like realistic procedures but i know most don't like them and in favour of leave them outside, but for everything that is used in flight, including radio equipment, i would like to know if we will have them clickable.

Thanks a lot Oleg for the time given to us to answer our question and discuss this motters! Its one of the thing a apreciate most about you and your team.
Take care and keep it up!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Oleg, will we see hedgerows like this in SoW? (which are currently missing from the shots posted)

Petham area:

Hadlow; one of my more local areas

Hadlow tower; I wonder if this is included in SoW?

A nice shot here of farmland. A good colour indicator, despite what you say about lenses, this is exactly the colours I see with my own eyes in the summer-time. The farmland layout is probably too modern though.

A LOT more here: http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/Portfolio.htm I understand that these shots are fairly recent, but they provide a great view of the landscape IMHO. Take it or leave it Oleg
nice pics...these shots look pretty close to them i think, a early build of SOW on the IL2 engine.
Oleg tells us SOW will be close to this.

By furbs9999 at 2010-10-25

Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Agree 100%

Flying a King Air from Toledo to Chicago is the most boring thing I've ever done on a computer. FSX lasted about 3 months on my hard drive. I realize that everyone has their own idea of "fun", but honestly, there is nothing "fun" about a flight procedure simulator.

Nothing.
That's your personal opinion however, isn't it now? Because it certainly is not mine, or of the multitude of people around the globe who want it even more complicated than i do and spend 70 dollars on a 747 addd-on.

I don't have FSX, i fly it on a friend's PC quite often though and what most people talk about here are widespread misconceptions. Actually, the way it works is the way Splitter described it. When you need to be scanning the sky outside, you can be scanning the sky outside. The rest is just an accurate simulation of a real pilot's workload, because in a real aircraft you have things to do even when nothing's happening. How is that a bad thing for a combat sim, having stuff to do during the uneventful cruise to the combat area, when it won't even detract from your ability to wage combat when you need to? You see, it's simply about personal preference. Some people like wonder woman view, some like unlimited ammo and some like cockpit view and limited ammo. It's the same thing with this as well and there is a market for it, especially now that MS closed down their FS franchise.

The procedures are the tip of the iceberg. Up until the 30s there were no checklists in the real world either. Why did they invent them? Because planes got complicated and people were crashing left and right when they forgot to turn on switches, that's why. SoW might lack the checklists but since it will have the systems modelled, you are going to need them anyway sooner or later and then you'll have to come up with them on your own. Which is a good thing to be honest, because then people will realize that it's not a big deal at all for 40s designs that lack computerized instruments and complex electronics and they all share the same type of engine operation. Then they'll realize that it gives them stuff to fiddle with during the uneventful parts of the sortie and stuff to exploit in combat and it will all settle down.

The single FSX aircraft i've flown most is a payware Catalina add-on and it's quite a handful initially. However, it don't fly it with a book on my lap. I know the operating limits and fly according to them, because the knowledge is not in memorizing row upon row of numerical data (most of the times instruments are color coded anyway to show the permissible and non-permissible ranges), the real knowledge is knowing how each parameter affects the other. Then i can fiddle with keeping the neeldes in the green and by the time i've done this while settling into cruise after the climb out, i've shaved 5 minutes off the boring trip to the target area by doing something that matters in my aircraft's ability to perform well. This is what's been missing from prop sims, taking care of the ride so to speak. Clickable pits and procedural checklists are a by-product of this complexity, not the main goal. If you want to fly the complex way that's closer to reality you'll need to make a few notes,mental or real, and a way to interface with the switches, that's all.
If not, then by all means go to your options panel and set these options to "off", but let the other people fly the sim the way they think it's fun for them.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, my feeling is that some people in the IL2 community don't want to lose their full switch "bragging rights" so they try to dumb down the difficulty level collectively for everyone, in order to be able to say they still fly at what the sim calls 100% difficulty.

Let's face it, people who fly full switch in IL2 but don't want to learn about intercoolers, carb icing, over-torque or how a real engine works, will not be able to fly full switch in SoW now that systems modelling has been confirmed by Oleg Maddox. A guy who's used to executing 10000ft dives with radiators open, climbing with rads closed and running WEP on low prop pitch will have lots of nasty surprises and broken engines in SoW. That rubs some people the wrong way i guess and instead of choosing a difficulty setting that corresponds well to their lack of willingness to learn new stuff, they want to limit the scope of the sim because they're ashamed to say they don't fly full switch anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
Maybe, but I don't think it's fun to spawn, press I, jam throttle to 100%, and leap into the air, climb for 5 minutes, and then commence TnB for a bit, and then repeat 30 times. If I wanted that, I would be playing Hawx, or Ace Combat 6.

I get so bored of online mash-ups, that sometimes I find myself flying two-hour long sorties in a TB-3 just to keep it interesting.

Now, if the procedures actually meant something, which according to Oleg, are above and beyond anything out there at the moment, coupled with an awesome FM that conveys the "feel" of flight, then we have a real knock-out winner.

I feel that having a complex system is vital in a combat flight sim. Currently in IL-2, the automatic system in a FW-190 doesn't provide anything to a pilot over the La-7's rudimentary one, which can allow it to fly at 100-110 pitch and power all day even without touching the rads. Having to set the right pitch, radiator settings, manifold pressure, before even thinking about commencing a bounce would mean everything in combat, and make things so much more interesting.

In any case, no one's going to force you to lean, or open your intercoolers, or whatever. It's going to be optional, so why worry?
Ditto.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
nice pics...these shots look pretty close to them i think, a early build of SOW on the IL2 engine.
Oleg tells us SOW will be close to this.

Yes, I remember that However, notice the trees in that early-build Furbs. They look like Christmas trees. Now look at the trees in the pictures I posted; they all have rounded-foliage and the trunks are barely visible. For me, this is an important aspect that makes the landscape look British. SoW seems to be going this way, but for me it's too early to tell yet.
That early build did look nice, although personally I do prefer the look of WoP....(if one ignores the green filter. If the field textures had more warmth, they'd look awesome)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot 2010.10.24 14.30.11.jpg (360.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

I know not yet released the hardware requirements for the game.

but I'm buying a new video card to play the ROF, and I wonder if I will at least be able to run the SOW BOB with this new GPU ...

I thought the GTX460, will this card will run the BOB so nice?

what GPU you use in this pics Oleg ?