Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsher View Post
Tell me what you guys reckon...
Probably OK, but I would still prefer the Wonderwoman view if I were a newbie.

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprera View Post
I'm so happy to see some Italian planes finally and not the usual single presence of a single one just for background reasons.
I hope some of them will be flyable
Indeed! BR.20M & G.50 will be flyable with the initial release IIRC. CR.42 will likely become flyable later in SoW's development simply because so many airforces used it (perhaps with the rumoured Med add-on). If you browse through the SoW update listing thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16073) you should be able to find some G.50/BR.20 cockpit shots.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Approved Member

or here:

http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ger/?start=704
Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
...and there's a video too!

Flying online as Setback.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbag View Post

Tbag you are ..."The Dude"
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafnir_6 View Post
Indeed! BR.20M & G.50 will be flyable with the initial release IIRC.
The Br.20 is a very handsome plane! I look forward to give her a go when BoB comes out!

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Approved Member

This looks nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fieldsb.jpg (917.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

I think a couple of you neglect the fact that this sim actually has to be programmed and has to work with an acceptable number of frames per second on a typical high-end computer.

It isn't possible to just overlay a rendering of the cockpit with a rendering of the full view. Both of those need processor cycles to render and you can't just double processor cycles out of the blue.

Same with adding textures to the clouds. You can't just do that endlessly until you have a photographic rendering. Especially if you want the exact same clouds to be visible from all angles by 25 guys flying online. This is very different from an MSFS add-on hanging big flat photos of clouds up around you as you putter along on your own in a Cessna.

I'd say that before you think of suggesting something that will add complexity to SoW:BoB then try to consider which feature you would want left out. So, you'd have to post "I'd like some more textures in the cloud tops and - to compensate - I think we should give up rendering 50 bombers simultaneously and settle for 40 instead". This is very much the zero-sum game the programmers have to deal with every day.

The major reason why Oleg blew us out of the water with Il-2 was that he employed ingenious programming solutions like the layered textures for great expanses of forests and the twirling one-dimensional smoke for planes going down on fire. You can rest assured that there are a many more ingenious programming solutions in SoW:BoB, but it just isn't possible to keep adding complexity since there is a finite number of processing cycles to work with...

Apart from the finite resources inside the computer there is also the whole issue of a limited programmer team and a clock ticking down to the deadline. By keeping adding to the requests at this moment in time, I think a lot of people are just setting themselves up for a big let-down when they get the sim in their hands. It will be light-years ahead of any other combat sim, but still not live up to impossibly inflated expectations.

Ask yourself if you really want to be jaded and slightly disappointed when you fire up SoW:BoB for the first time, or if you want to fill with boyish joy at the wonderful world opening up to you? - I think it is pretty much up to yourself and to the - possible or impossible - expectations you carry with you.

Last edited by Freycinet; 10-06-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

Freycinet good post...memorable game play should be the main goal. Picture perfect may come down the road as hardware strengthens.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 10-06-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Yes Freycinet, +1