Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

With regards to the time thing, is it possible to set time with a script? If so it would open up a lot of interesting possibilities. As long as we knew beforehand what time sunset occurs at, the server/in-game time could be reset to simulate advancing to the next day.

What would need to be done in such a case is to find a way to handle airborne aircraft during the time switch.

For example, mission start is at 4:45 am or something similar (as soon as there's enough sunlight to safely takeoff), allowing bombers an early start (if people start flying bombers) and fighters a chance to get some altitude while harder to spot.

Then, one hour, half an hour and 15 minutes before the sun sets, an on-screen message notifies players about this so they can schedule their return to base.

Assuming people play along this could work fine, but with a bit more scripting it might be possible to account for people staying airborne all the way to sunset.

Upon sunset, the script would clear all aircraft from play and return players to the lobby (effectively simulating the end of combat for the day and the start of the next day's operations). Then, we need a way to decide what happens with planes that were still airborne during the time switch.

This would need getting an ID and distance from the closest frontline marker, possibly even a bearing to it so that the script can know if we are behind enemy lines. Then, depending on which side of the lines and how far in we are and coupled with a bit of a random element, we could have a scripted outcome presented to us as a text message.

Think something like player blackdog has safely returned to base/got lost and ditched in the channel due to lack of fuel and is MIA/got lost and bailed out over friendly lines/bailed out over enemy lines/got lost and landed on an enemy field, etc.

Then it's a matter of how much we want to take things further. More variables could be applied in deciding if the pilot makes it home or gets captured/goes missing, like for example proximity of friendly or enemy airbases,ships or ground units. Finally, this could be incorporated into a stat tracking system once one becomes available, so each side's losses in pilots and aircraft get tracked.

I'll leave this here since it's starting to get way ahead of itself. I wish i knew how to code in c#, i've spent quite some time designing the whole thing in my head but i just don't know how to implement it, so i'm just throwing ideas around in the hope that someone picks it up and runs with it

In all honesty however, once we get past the optimization, graphics and sound fixes and start moving on to gameplay related issues, i'd really like to see a server running a full day/night cycle so that we can fly bombers at night. The problem with this would be our real life timezones, it wouldn't be fun for people in Europe to always fly in daylight and people in US to always fly at night, but that too could be solved by such a time-adjusting script by skipping a night to reverse the in-game time's relation to our real timezone.

For example, it's Monday and the server is synchronized with GMT time, so anyone flying from Europe during the evening will mostly fly at night. Then, the daylight portion of the mission plays out but once it gets to sunset it doesn't progress into night flying, instead it advances to the next day like in the initial example i mentioned. This will reverse the in-game time in relation to real time and for the next day people in Europe flying during their evening time will have daylight in-game time while people in the western hemisphere now get the night sorties.

Another way would be to run only a portion of the in-game night time, having a mission run from 4:45am in-game time to 01:00am in-game time and then advancing to the next day with the aforementioned "clean up" of still flying aircraft and randomized outcomes for them. This way, each time we fly during our regular RL gametime (mostly evenings for the majority of people), we'd get a slightly different part of the in-game day: since the server would only run 20h 15min out of a 24h day the in-game time would gradually "creep" out of sync with RL time each day, giving us a different spot to fill.

It's still early days for night time flying, but it would be awesome once they correct the remaining issues with bombers. Searchlights, flak and radio-assisted navigation for LW bombers, same for Blenheims minus the radio-nav, more chances for tactical, team oriented gameplay with less fighters in the air and if someone does hop in a fighter, it would be pretty interesting trying to find and intercept bombers in the dark with nothing but radar vectors from ground control to guide you.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
Don't forget that CoD has the ambition to be one step frwrd in combat aircraft simulation.

Man hve to accept that handling the planes is more difficult than before etc.. etc.. I think that's why we hve CEM. Seems many forgot that point

Take some time to refine the way you fly. May be by doing some slight tuning your perfs will be improved ?
371 hours of Clod nearly exclusive absolved in the 109 do not change anything... Its not the imperfect handling (not that i am perfect - i am far from it) but the Spit IIa is just totally superior.

Winger
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
371 hours of Clod nearly exclusive absolved in the 109 do not change anything... Its not the imperfect handling (not that i am perfect - i am far from it) but the Spit IIa is just totally superior.

Winger
Winger, its been taking out again..fyi
Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
Winger, its been taking out again..fyi
I read it, thanks!

Winger

PS: thanks god. Will be playing there again tomorrow then. Cu up in the air!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Bliss, thanks for the airfield away from the coast.... nice to have that choice and space to get 10K altitude before reaching Hawking - much better for the Mk1a! Gives you the option of giving cover to the guys below with a bit of E or going higher to intercept.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

Bliss did you see my post regarding the bailout/AI script situ?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Tree_UK

Hi Bliss, thanks for all the work your doing server side. May I make a suggestion, would it be possible just for one week, to run a channel map with no AI, no Ships and very little cloud, just make it a pure dog fight server, and allowing bombing and stafing of the airfields. I think this would bring a tremendous amout of people to your server and reduce the amount of pauses/stutters /FPS drop caused by all the other stuff.

Just a suggestion. S!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Hi Bliss, thanks for all the work your doing server side. May I make a suggestion, would it be possible just for one week, to run a channel map with no AI, no Ships and very little cloud, just make it a pure dog fight server, and allowing bombing and stafing of the airfields. I think this would bring a tremendous amout of people to your server and reduce the amount of pauses/stutters /FPS drop caused by all the other stuff.

Just a suggestion. S!
Tree there are lots of dogfight servers! ATAG is awesome because of the AI and the continuous nature of the missions. Bliss please DONT do this!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

Just a suggestion. S!
~S~ Tree

Im not sure i agree with that fella, as stated above ATAG isnt a dogfight server, and having things to bomb should be bringing others into the mix that dont generally wanna DF...I cant see removing them making 'more' people join?

I for one like taking down AI bombers just as much as human players..and tbh if they were not around these last couple of nights i wouldn't of had anything else to do

Clouds- I'm not sure if they are causing Lag or not so that may be an option until they have optimized things further.

Strafing- Im all for that and its the side being strafed responsibilities to CAP
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

Just a suggestion. S!
Only if you and all your buddies are willing to fly the He111s

Pure dogfight is what I am trying to get away from. Bliss is trying to create on-going missions which are objective based.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders