Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Hows your fps with other planes in the immediate vicinity? My fps is good until other humans are nearby (i only fly online, no single player here) then it drops like a rock to near single digits. One minute 25-40+ fps then a couple planes enter the area and drop to 8-14 fps. This is much worse over ground at under 1K but becomes unplayable while others are close by.

I dont know why a few human controlled planes can cause such a drop in fps?
What is your ping on the server where this happens?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hows your fps with other planes in the immediate vicinity? My fps is good until other humans are nearby (i only fly online, no single player here) then it drops like a rock to near single digits. One minute 25-40+ fps then a couple planes enter the area and drop to 8-14 fps. This is much worse over ground at under 1K but becomes unplayable while others are close by.

I think that you experience that because of the slow processor.
On this video you can see similar situation that you described, recorded on unlocked phenom x4 B55(practically same as yours) and slower graphic card 5770.
Game settings was mid to high and processor is OC'ed at 3.5 GHz.
What I saw on some benchmarks(not mine) on every 500 MHz of speed you got gain of 7-8 frames in average and smother gameplay.
This was recorded before beta.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
What is your ping on the server where this happens?
Im in CHicago burbs so ping to the ATAG server is pretty good, I belive its in Chicago is it not?

I think its more a poor net code and graphics engine. My video card is much higher than a 5770 and should perform much better. A few planes shouldnt tank fps like this. A phenom II X4 3.2ghz is plenty for this sim. I have had to lower settings to low and medium to try and get a more stable fps over land when dogfighting. Havent had a chance to play yet, maybe tonight.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Oldschool61; 05-11-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Im in CHicago burbs so ping to the ATAG server is pretty good, I belive its in Chicago is it not?
I think so, so ping really shouldnt be an issue... dunno.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

My video card is much higher than a 5770 and should perform much better. A few planes shouldnt tank fps like this. A phenom II X4 3.2ghz is plenty for this sim. I have had to lower settings to low and medium to try and get a more stable fps over land when dogfighting.
Sorry, but without offence 3.2 GHz is not plenty for this sim, this speeds are enough for lets say old il2.
I posted this tryin to help you.
Try to OC your processor, it is not rocket science now, you can find tutorials
even on youtube,and I'm shure you will see benefits.

S!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

I have the same processor and dont have too bad of Frame Rates....
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Approved Member

my game runs worse with every launch of the game...i get continually launchercrashes(even offline now), and stutters and freezes seem to get worse with every gamestart....
its really funny that you are "glad" that after more than a year we still have launcher crashes...
Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

A lot of people who had severe LE crashes enabled SSAO and Shadows which seems to work for some (but not every one). MP was a disaster regards CTD for me with this patch - you can see my specs and I get good performance with a 2.7Ghz Dual Core. My 17in monitors native resolution is a mere 1024 x 768 which helps and I don't bother setting any AA.

If you have a decent GFX card, I would take note of BS's comment that, lowering Textures, is not going to give an improved FPS with this alpha. Most of my settings are High and Medium except with trees 'off'. SP I disable clouds as they cause stutters and freezes.

I sympathise with you guys having problems on better rigs - it was driving me nuts too! This alpha seems to generate a lot of shader files, I would delete them if enabling SSAO, exit CloD and let ClOD rebuild the shaders on a fresh start.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
... My fps is good until other humans are nearby (i only fly online, no single player here) then it drops like a rock to near single digits. One minute 25-40+ fps then a couple planes enter the area and drop to 8-14 fps. This is much worse over ground at under 1K but becomes unplayable while others are close by.

That is exactly what my experience is with CoD online. Everthing's smooth as silk (FPS ~40-50) until a few human players come into vicinity, then FPS drops badly (Single digits). Strange enough, this is not the case offline. I have tested with more than a hundred AI ac in the air, and there was barely a slowdown.

Perhaps this is due to AI's being subject to extremely simplified physics (if any) and FM/DM compared to human players, which means a whole lot more data must be transmitted back and forth (bandwith) and processed client-side (CPU) when flying online against human players.

Anyhow, it detracts from the online experience. Hopefully the finalized patch will address this issue, among others.

Regards
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker_71 View Post
That is exactly what my experience is with CoD online. Everthing's smooth as silk (FPS ~40-50) until a few human players come into vicinity, then FPS drops badly (Single digits). Strange enough, this is not the case offline. I have tested with more than a hundred AI ac in the air, and there was barely a slowdown.

Perhaps this is due to AI's being subject to extremely simplified physics (if any) and FM/DM compared to human players, which means a whole lot more data must be transmitted back and forth (bandwith) and processed client-side (CPU) when flying online against human players.
Each player's FM routines are computed on his own computer, and only the flight path data is transmitted to the server, which then broadcasts it to the other connected players.

What you experience is most probably because of the flight path interpolation routines, combined with the networking ones. I haven't tested the alpha/beta/gamma patch yet, but if this is the case, it is very bad. it means the renderer is waiting for the all the networking info of a game tick to arrive first, and only then renders the current frame, and that there are no flight interpolation/prediction routines to provide the renderer with predicted positions of player objects, in order to allow the rendering of an "approximate" frame without having to wait for the other nearby player's network updates.

To check if this is really the case, the FPS must vary with your network latency, and also with other nearby-player's network latency too (the worst one of the rendered players would establish the pace).

Also, it can be caused by nearby player-only rendered effects (for example, the engine exhausts, as it was the case in the months after the release).

To check if this is the case, drop down your effects settings in the game, and watch the online with nearby-players FPS.

Last edited by adonys; 05-12-2012 at 10:31 AM.