Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
Your chart is for an E3, and secondly, it does not specify boost level for the engine.
And the performance difference between E-3 and E-4 was?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
Correctly balanced Servers should see players restricted in the numbers of Spitfires which may be selected, (as well as 25% 109E1's present during the earlier phases of the battle, and negligible numbers of E4's prior to late September) thereby putting the majority of those in British aircraft in Hurricanes.
There were more E-4s around by late September than all Spitfire Marks combined...

On 31 August 1940, fighter units (excluding JG 77) reported>

375 E-1s,
125 E-3s,
339 E-4s
32 E-7s on strength,

Most of the E-3s had been already converted to E-4 standard.

By July, one Gruppe (Wing) of JG 26 was equipped with the Bf 109 E-4/N model of improved performance, powered by the new DB 601N engine using 100 octane aviation fuel.
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Approved Member

Of course its interesting to note still more e1's than e4's at that point in time.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
Of course its interesting to note still more e1's than e4's at that point in time.
And..? They only differ armament and arguably the E-1 armament was more practical against fighters. Performance was the same. Ever since the beginning, there seems to be trend that the ration of cannon and machinegun Emils was roughly 1:1.

Some of the photos I have seen hint that the idea may have been that the leader (attacker) flew a cannon armed Emil while he was covered by an E-1 with MGs.
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Approved Member

And it is just what it is.

there are still many people here who perpetuate the myth that all 109's were cannon armed during BoB, i know you know better.

I imagine that the performance would actually be marginally better for the E1 no? slightly lighter and marginally less drag from the wings i would guess, maybe you know more on this?

Not sure irl I prescribe to the machine gun version being more adequate against fighters, but certainly in game i do, this maybe due to the fact that many of us have thousands of hours more shooting practice in our virtual life's than real pilots during the battle had.

I'm sure you have read 'Spitfire on my tail' and whilst that prescribes to the leaders having cannon armed versions, I very much doubt that that was a planned policy, merely that the leaders got the better equipment with what was there to go around, and from JG to JG the equipment levels varied due to many reasons including politics.

It also shows in Ulrichs case anyway, that once he got a cannon armed 109, his kills went up.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

E-1's were maybe a km/h faster and weighed 35 kg less, giving it marginally better climb. In other words, the differences between an E-1 and E-3/4 were considerably smaller than production tolerance, even if I think that in a computer game a relative 1% difference should be somehow modelled.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtD View Post
E-1's were maybe a km/h faster and weighed 35 kg less, giving it marginally better climb. In other words, the differences between an E-1 and E-3/4 were considerably smaller than production tolerance, even if I think that in a computer game a relative 1% difference should be somehow modelled.
thanks JtD. I did say marginally, lol!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Approved Member

The prob is that, E1 and E4 does not differ only by the guns. There was also a range of modification implemented at the level of the units. So 35 kg is a difficult assumption that I don't know were you sourced it from.

Does it include only the canon, the canopy, the added armor etc...

I think that devs should concentrate on what is representative of the period. We don't need E7/N, 100oct and what ever. We hve already seen the mess with the Mig3U and alike. No more!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Sorry for being unclear, it's the difference between E-1 and E-3, speeds as tested by Messerschmitt and weight from the manuals. E-4 might be a bit more again, but values would still be inside production tolerances.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfürst View Post
On 31 August 1940, fighter units (excluding JG 77) reported>

375 E-1s,
125 E-3s,
339 E-4s
32 E-7s on strength,
The source for these number is ____________________ .