Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

You say this every time you are out of words?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno13 View Post
Well, in Il-2 WM 50 works a little differently and is only associated with higher boost settings. Don't expect to be able to run 10 minutes of high boost just because WM 50 is engaged with absolutely zero consequences, especially if you're slow and turning

If you do some reading as well you will find that the max continuous operation time could vary, and be as little as 5 minutes. There was a required "cold-down" period before it could be engaged again. Engines that went to full boost for any practical length of time developed cracks and fouled spark plugs and had to be overhauled. Engines that went to full boost without the WM 50 would have seized within a few minutes.

Anyway, I did a quick run in a Bf-109, and it was a full two minutes before the "Overheat!" message appeared (it is a bit conservative, BTW). A little over 15 minutes later, the fuel ran out (I spawned in the air with 50%). There was no loss of RPM or manifold pressure throughout the time that WM50 was engaged.

So what exactly is the problem again?
Who said I expected to run MW50 at 110% for ten minutes every time? But if you have ever lasted for 10 mins before the engine dying out in game, please upload the ntrk.

If 10 mins was historically a rare number that is extremely hard to achieve. Why would they include it into the manual? They must have already left some margin here. 10 mins should have been a quite common number during aircraft service that is not so difficult to achieve.

And we would like to see your ntrk for the test fly you described.

Last edited by jermin; 01-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Caspar is dead right on this. I have been friends with an actual WWII engineer for all my life, Pete. He flew fighters and bombers and was in on the development of the B-17 and B-29 and worked directly for Hap Arnold.
I highly doubt American aircraft engines operates in the same manner as German ones.

Quote:
He said that any aircraft that came back to base and had used WEP, as in breaking the wire at the end of the throttle quadrant to get to WEP, that engine in that aircraft was removed from service to be either overhauled, scrapped or used for parts, the aircraft was not sent back into combat with it.

Also I have worked on internal combustion engines my entire life and know a LOT about them. Even now there is no form of racing where engines are run at WOT for more than a minute or two, everyone has to shut down for turns or the end of the drag-strip or Bonneville salt flats. And sixty years later with all our technology, blown engines are common in the highest levels of motorsports.
Engine overhaul is not modeled in the game and will never be. No one will play the game if he needs to wait for a week for another flight. So your argument is pointless here.

Quote:
If you are zooming and booming in an aircraft and want to keep the engine cool and maintain performance, you have to adjust the prop pitch throughout the entire process. When you are diving and the engine rpms go up you have to change pitch to lower rpms, and when you are zooming back up you have to watch rpms and change pitch to increase them and get the best climb. If you keep one prop pitch in a fight that sees your speed changing from 200km/hr through 700+km/hr, then you are either not going to get all the performance you could be, or you will hurt your engine.
German aircrafts had Kommandogerät equipped, which relieved pilots from the heavy workload of adjusting prop pitch. So your suggestion is useless for German fighters.

Quote:
WWII pilots had one engine to get them hundreds or thousands of miles to battle and then back home again, how do you think they treated it?
Again, this is within the limitation of computer game. It can not be modeled. The original purpose of IL-2 was to portray the air battle in WW2 as realistically as possible. So your argument is pointless.

Quote:
War Emergency Power was just that for emergencies, the last thing to do to save your life and get home, it was not a combat tool but a defensive feature.

Early B-29s blew entire cylinders off their engines right through the cowling on take-off without even going into WEP.

These pilots were very smart and educated individuals that knew everything about the aircraft they were flying. My friend Pete graduated from Yale University for engineering. Dummies did not get to fly fighter aircraft in WWII, and they will not be able to hack flying REALISTIC settings in IL2 Sturmovik, especially as more realistic features are added to it over time.
You seem to have a good point here. But enabling WEP won't always save your ass. You will finally have to use it in combat. That's why it's called war emergency power not run-home-to-mama power.

Just consider this scenario. You 4-fighter squad has spotted an enymy aircraft formation and soon they also notice you. You ordered to begin the battle, but it turns out that enemy aircraft are on your six because they have better aircrafts, skills or any other possible reasons. You ordered your teammates to enable MW50 and tried to evade. But desperately found that you are not able to out run them. The only way to survive is to destroy them. Now, tell me whether you will use your WEP for dogfight?

You might not want to use WEP for dogfight, but sometimes you don't have choice.

Quote:
If you can not handle flying IL2 on hard settings, then you can merely switch them off and fly settings and fly and host servers that match your caliber...... Or, you can create a mod-pack that changes IL2 into your personal version and interpretation of WWII history such as UP and HSFX......
Again, please stop deeming complainers as noobs. They might actually turn out to be better than you.

Last edited by jermin; 01-25-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Ok just conducted some tests, it IS due to the new proppitch.

If you dive with the ta152 at full throttle and auto-pp you will overrev the engine in no time, it only takes seconds.
It like i said below, high power=lowpitch, independent from what speed you're flying.
Manual pp during dives, on the other hand, keeps you out of troubles.

Not sure if this is correct?

Last edited by swiss; 01-25-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
If you can not handle flying IL2 on hard settings, then you can merely switch them off and fly settings and fly and host servers that match your caliber...... Or, you can create a mod-pack that changes IL2 into your personal version and interpretation of WWII history such as UP and HSFX......
It quite entertaining to hear this from a guy who uploads videos of himself fighting AI aces to youtube.
"Be aware, those are four individual AI, not two teams sticking to each other, so it's much, much harder!"
Roflamo.

Btw: Why do you call yourself Jumocock? Or is it jumotail?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Ok just conducted some tests, it IS due to the new proppitch.

If you dive with the ta152 at full throttle and auto-pp you will overrev the engine in no time, it only takes seconds.
It like i said below, high power=lowpitch, independent from what speed you're flying.
Manual pp during dives, on the other hand, keeps you out of troubles.

Not sure if this is correct?
With auto-prop-pitch planes, simply reduce the throttle in a dive. This lowers p-pitch and manifold pressure together. You really shouldn't have MP settings exceeding PP settings anyway.

@ Jermin - I can record a track later today.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Approved Member

By looking at these kind of threads I can come to only one conclusion: this game needs some kind of brand new cheat protection.

Especially with all the self proclaimed "experts" in engineering and WWII history we have here.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno13 View Post
With auto-prop-pitch planes, simply reduce the throttle in a dive. This lowers p-pitch and manifold pressure together. You really shouldn't have MP settings exceeding PP settings anyway.
I'm not complaining, like I said before I usually fly manual PP, sometimes even the 109. And no, I dont burn my engines, neither in 4.11 nor before.

The question is: Is it a bug or a feature?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
By looking at these kind of threads I can come to only one conclusion: this game needs some kind of brand new cheat protection.

Especially with all the self proclaimed "experts" in engineering and WWII history we have here.
+1 x 10¹º
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

All the information is on page one of this thread regarding the new flying techniques needed, including the v4.11 manual excerpt in my post.

Thanks to all of those trying to educate and explain to the rest.

Closed Thread