Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Warrior, Paladin, Mage

Warrior, Paladin, Mage Different classes in King's Bounty

Old 10-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Approved Member

I purposefully didn't go for it last time as I knew Demonesses with Anga's Ruby would go first.

I thought you were asking about the thorns for your game. I don't plan on using them this time. I think it would totally break the game to add them to the Sight and/or the Archer critical bonus set. The Blackthorn Crown alone carried my Paladin on Impossible.

I just realized that until I get Tolerance that the Skeleton Archers are going to cause critically bad morale with the Elves. I'll need to get that quickly or be stuck with Catapults.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

Well, only Demonesses first and the rest of the team going after the quicker ones isn't exactly desirable. For me, that is. I want to act first and control the battle right away and most desirably not only in round one but throughout the entire battle.

When you play no-casualty, you have no other choice, you just CANNOT have the opposition make it halfway through the field and be able to reach every unit they please in the second turn, and the opponent just CANNOT fire at will at your support/ranged units with their archers right away. Your melee/tank has to be in their face first, incl. a phantom or an ice ball for those you cannot block. See, your tanks will have their asses beaten and you need time back for those. If the enemy archers just randomly fire one at the Demonesses and two at the Skellies you're doomed to play this battle to round 10 or further to get all the mana to restore the tank and the Demonesses (both lvl 40 --> 60 mana, maybe 90 if you're not a mage and lack the spell power and must ress the tanks twice) you otherwise just had to Time Back once which you couldn't because you had to Time Back the Skellies.

You see the importance of high init.

€dit: think of Dragon battles for example. It is just a MAJOR advantage and changes the outcome of the battle GREATLY if you're able to lure Dragons into an ambush by lining up your two Vampires and the Demons behind each other. No Red or Black Dragon will ever NOT go for that and instead attack your Skeleton Archers or Inquisitors/Shamans/Demonesses w/ever. If only your Demoness act first you're at the Dragons' mercy and they'll just fly in, no matter what. Not to mention the fact that you could easily take out two stacks of Dragons before they even move with your whole team going first.

Last edited by Vulture; 10-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Approved Member

Point taken on high Initiative. I can see how it would be necessary to a no-casualty game. Tactics, too, given the ability to set up Traps for Dragons and avoid area-effect spells when necessary.

I made up a plan for my Mages skills given the amount of runes I'm going to get in my game (I don't think I overlooked any of the extras like +8 Might total for the Tournament battles). My wish list needed over 200 Might and Mind runes, and I'm only going to get 136 Might if I don't miss any, plus however many I can buy. My wish list was obviously just a starting point, and I started looking where I could save some runes. Which Might skills do you go skimpy on? I don't see that I'll have the runes for Dark Commander (would have been gravy for the Skellies) or Night Ops. Do you skimp on Rage Control or Master of Spirits? I was thinking of skimping on the latter and spamming to try and compensate. I'll probably have to ditch a level of Frenzy since I have to get 2 Training for the Archers.

Maybe only get 1 level of Chaos Magic (!) to save on some runes, too? That probably won't go well if I plan on using Demon Portals very often. I absolutely have to get the skills in the path for Tolerance, which is a minor drain. Any suggestions?

Of the skills I definitely want, I'll have an excess of 70 or more Magic runes, since I don't really need Destroyer, and no more than 1 level of Archmage. I guess I'll get 3 Alchemy since there's almost nothing to spend those runes on outside of the Magic Tree. I may even get 3 Necromancy just because of the glut of runes.

I've just got to do a little more tweaking (editing in the units) before I start. I've been making some changes to child bonuses to see if they could be viable this game, too, so it should be quite a different experience.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

Master Of Spirits 3/3 is a must for me. There's no way around it, with any class.

Who the **** needs training, mate ? xD It's not like you'll be using Bowmen without Dragon Arrows anyway. And it's not like the fire arrow does any significant damage. And when you face the opponents where the maximum possible damage is crucial... they're fire resistant/immune anyway xD I don't see the point.

Well, if you only use Skellies from the Undeads then I suppose Dark Commander and Nighttime Operations aren't really important. A nice to have but no must.
Frenzy for me is just a prerequisite as a Mage. You don't have the Might Runes to get +6Atk which only then the skill actually does something. Considering the fact that you have 5 damage dealers in your setup and most of the game no more than 8 targets you won't get far with that. I think Destroyer would be the better Alternative.
Everything in the Might tree you'll need to get to Onslaught3 + 3/3 Master of Spirits and 3/3 Bowmen Commander is what I'd recommend. If you have Runes left still, nothing speaks against Destroyer.

Chaos is vital at least on lvl2. You'll want to have the opportunity to take care of a few damaged stacks that are threatening to come to your base line with a Fire rain or an Ice Snake or a Geyser.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the input, Vulture. Getting one fiery arrow is pointless for the latter part of the game, so that point in Training will save me some. And Frenzy is quite expensive for such low returns. I won't have enough Atk for it to make much of a difference to get +6 anyway, and will free up some runes for Rage Control (?) since I didn't have the runes for the last level of it.

To see the effects, I cheated (and then removed) to give myself two Elven Bows, and it ups the damage nicely (doesn't work on Cannoneers, as it shouldn't)--5-6 base on Bowmen.

Having to go all the way down to Tolerance with this squad was painful. I didn't need several of those skills. I decided against any Reserve. I'll just have a stack of Catapults garrisoned at Kronberg and bring them to Gremlin fights.

I think I'll have to get Chaos 3 to set up Demon Portals to block my front line against Karador, Xeona, and Baal--I doubt I'll have enough Int to Hypnotize the latter two's Demons. I've been quite disappointed how low the leadership cap is on the Hypnosis spell, and my Mage already has insane Int--15 at level 7 (the base will be 25 Int due to all the level-up bonuses, altars, and Intellect Ring permanent bonus!!!). This guy is going to crack the high 40s when fully equipped at level 30. I wasn't planning on any of The Destroyer this game, but it would always be nice. I'm wondering if slapping Kamikaze on a unit I use Hypnosis on will be a nice way to set up a bomb in the midst of the enemy's ranks. Thus far, the buffed Summon Phoenix is holding the troops away from my Archers, but I'm still only in Darion. It still gets killed by the end of the second round.

I just found out that you can fight Xeona as soon as you meet her. I didn't know that before. I'm not using her as my wife, but it's good to know for the future. How low a level do you think you could take her down at? With Mass Magic Shackles, she is a lot less dangerous than other "Boss" type battles.

And I found a new bug: the werewolf in Darion didn't drop his blood, and the game won't let me edit it in no matter what, so that quest is bugged. The hunter just has an empty text box when I go see him. Oh, well. It's a drop in the bucket.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, you can fight her right away. Agree with the mass Magic Shackles. Using that she really is less of a nuisance. Imho the easiest castle fight in late game. Compared to Baal she's a joke.

I never thought about what level you can take her first. I'm mostly in my 20s when I do but then she's mostly an easy bite. I'm 18 or 19 now, maybe I'll go and see. I want her as my wife anyway. Got two Archmage Staves I can't use right now xD
Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

I'll be interested to hear when you take her out. With a Paladin and 3x Sacred Anger, I bet she could be taken down in the teens. With no losses, I don't know. Still no experience there. :p
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Probably, but Holy Anger includes 15 Might and 24 Mind Runes you just cannot spare, not even as a Paladin ^^ So I guess we'll never find out without editing ^^
Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

I managed to get 3x Sacred Anger with my last Paladin pretty early on (at least by level 19), but I wasn't using Undead or Demons that time around, so I saved a ton of runes from getting to Tolerance 2 and Dark Commander. All I gave him was a Banner of True Faith to give him 10 more Mind runes.

Edit: You were right about the lack of damage output on the Archer team. Even with all five units shooting one stack they usually can't even kill it, and I'm only at the IoF. This could get messy. Battles are already a grind. I desperately need Mass Precision, and Level 3 Order to get a better Phoenix. This one dies in the first turn every battle now.

Last edited by Helios; 10-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

Tried Phantom'ing the Royal Thorns or their Sowing yet ? Adding Target to that should compensate for the failure that is the Phoenix ^^ But you'll need Teleport II at the very least I suppose. I really don't see a way that could work to be honest but I can#t stop giving you advice because I want it to work, too xD