Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
You just don't get it. The developer didn't the time to finish the game because the funding ran out. They either had to release the sim unfinished to generate the needed cash to finish it OR CANCEL IT ALTOGETHER.

Which would you prefer??????
There is nothing to suggest this happened.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
??? Nothing except every day of the past year...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

For your 40$, you got what you paid for: a video game.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
It couldn't be more obvious.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
It couldn't be more obvious.
lol, I seem to remember me saying these exact words during development.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Actually, it was Oleg who said they had to release back in November due to lack of funds. I remember it very well, because when the date slipped everyone was up in arms as usual, with many quoting a famous phrase at that time by Oleg as an answer to releasing in November: "i want and i need".

This suggests that they got an extra "lease of life" so to speak to work on it a bit more, hence the delay to the spring Russian and EU releases.

All i'm going to say is, imagine getting a November release and the reactions it would cause, if half an extra year of development wasn't enough to produce a finished sim and resulted in the current forum wars.

Many of the people who are upset now over the unfinished state of the sim where the same people who were going grumpy about missed release dates back then and it just goes to show one thing: the community often has conflicting wishes and some time getting their wish can be detrimental to their own long term enjoyment of the product. Just imagine what state the sim would have been back in November and getting that version for your $40.

This should tell everyone to take everything with a grain of salt and not rush to speculation right away, nor think that everyone of us is always right, all the time.

We've all been going "let us have it, bugs and all, we can't wait to try it" and when it happened we all went "oh, i said i would be happy to just try it on my PC, but i didn't think it would be in this state".

Come to think of it we all got what we wished for all along, a premature release so that we can look at the pretty planes on our own screen instead of via Oleg's screenshots every Friday like we did back during development (even though it happened due to lack of funds and not our own requests), but not all of us could take the consequences of our demands being fulfilled. It's as simple as that really and it shows us all that we can make mistakes and have done so in the very recent past

Most of us regulars in this forum knew what we were getting into all along (especially after the initial reports from the Russian release).

Like it or not, there are things beyond our immediate control and that won't change, it's the nature of life itself. Lighten up and go fly in the meantime
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Blackdog, any conflict of emotions is inevitable. Pre-release, any idea that the sim would be in this (dreadful) state was completely out of the question. The sim had been in development (at various stages) for years. It's like being set a disseration to write in a specific length of time, having that time extended and extended and then handing the damned thing in unfinished. I'd go so far as to suggest that such an event would be completely non-sensical, but the sad truth is that CloD's poor state is comprehensible; there were issues within the development team and, clearly, a lack of funds (and perhaps a feeling that they had all the time they wished).

So with this in mind, of course people who moaned about the length of development would moan about the state of the sim. It's just crazy that a game which had been in development for so long was in such a pathetic state. And, really, that word describes the game perfectly.

TBH Blackdog I don't think anyone realised what they would be getting all along. We had members saying the updates were all extremely old (Freycinet advocated that constructive criticism was unnecessary because the team already knew about any faults, and was thus fixing them) so this suggested that the team were withholding an absolute gem which would astound everyone on release. Even from reports from the Russian show, the argument that the machines didn't have enough RAM soon quashed any argument that the game was flawed (...) so realistically, the sim really did throw the cat amongst the pigeons (albeit an extremely old cat which was probably deaf, blind, and riddled with several diseases).
Whilst the community may have asked for the game, 'warts and all', I think from Oleg's comments about the photorealistic aesthetics, many thought the bugs would just lie within the gameplay. Clearly this wasn't the case either.

CloD can become something special, but it will be a long road. I don't think any more can be said about it. There are elements of it which can both astound you and frustrate you, but one would seriously hope that within two years, the former far outweighs the latter.

Last edited by philip.ed; 07-28-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Oleg also said he needed to release in 2007, 2009 and 2010.