Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timej31 View Post
There is no logic sir. I only believe what my eyes tell me. Not what anonymous people post.
Exactly 'no logic' sorry but you aren't making any sense. The photo proves nothing about 777 being in trouble you'll need to post some evidence to support your statement.

The 777 guys also seem to know how to run a business and are clever with their marketing. I'd never buy a WWI sim because I'm not interested. I got the free demo, started playing a bit and I've now bought 5 planes.... what happened? Now I'm reading up about WWI aircraft etc.

I think 1C has become a little complacent because there is no real WWII competitor in this market.

As for the Bristol, I was going to post that they were easy meat for my DR1 as I'd knocked down a few. Then my young career was cut short by the rear gunner of a Bristol offering me 'a light'. I don't smoke but he 'lit me up' anyway....
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Approved Member

Well said xnomad.

My point exactly, no need for me to say any more.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Here what's going on.

Quote:
just translation of Loft: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthrea...=1#post1648753

--- original
В РОФ звук готов и мы только подключаем самолеты. Система нашей работ отлажена и работает отлично. У Валерия было достаточно свободного времени что бы поработать и в 1С. Он мастер своего дела и очень любит то что делает, а там сейчас работы очень много. Я конечно обо всем этом знаю, мы согласовали все моменты с Валерием. Надеюсь его сотрудничество с командой 1С будет плодотворным. Его работа по по самолетам РОФ будет идти запланировано. Так же обязательно приглашу Валеру в свой следующий проект.
--- translation, in [] - my comments
Sound [subsystem] in RoF is ready, we are only adding new planes. Our workflow [in that area] is rather tuned and performs greatly.
Valery had much free time and got opportunity to work in 1C. He is professional in his area and really loves his work, and they [CoD team] have much work now. I, of course, don't know exact details [about mentioned work in CoD team], but we came to agreement with Valery about it. I hope, his coworking with 1C team would be fruitful. His work on RoF crafts continues as scheduled. Surely, I will include him to new project [team].
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150GCT_Veltro View Post
Here what's going on.
Quote:
just translation of Loft: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthrea...=1#post1648753

--- original
В РОФ звук готов и мы только подключаем самолеты. Система нашей работ отлажена и работает отлично. У Валерия было достаточно свободного времени что бы поработать и в 1С. Он мастер своего дела и очень любит то что делает, а там сейчас работы очень много. Я конечно обо всем этом знаю, мы согласовали все моменты с Валерием. Надеюсь его сотрудничество с командой 1С будет плодотворным. Его работа по по самолетам РОФ будет идти запланировано. Так же обязательно приглашу Валеру в свой следующий проект.
--- translation, in [] - my comments
Sound [subsystem] in RoF is ready, we are only adding new planes. Our workflow [in that area] is rather tuned and performs greatly.
Valery had much free time and got opportunity to work in 1C. He is professional in his area and really loves his work, and they [CoD team] have much work now. I, of course, don't know exact details [about mentioned work in CoD team], but we came to agreement with Valery about it. I hope, his coworking with 1C team would be fruitful. His work on RoF crafts continues as scheduled. Surely, I will include him to new project [team].
I have been hoping there might be some crossover between these teams, both Jason and Ilya are on good terms as far as I know (only from what they have posted, dont know them personally), so maybe they can keep some of their skilled workers in a job until they are needed again, win win for we flight simmers.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Sensible use of resources, me thinks.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

the two development teams are far away from the "RoF vs CoD flamewars" that from time to time appear in the forums !
Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
the two development teams are far away from the "RoF vs CoD flamewars" that from time to time appear in the forums !
And Thank God for that!

Both teams have some very talented members and since they're both Rusiian, both based in Moscow and both working on simulators based on propeller driven aircraft it would be fantastic to see them help each other out if and when the need and opportunity arrises.

Certainly competition is good for any commercial enterprise. But in a market as small as this one friendly competition is the way to go. Cut throat competition (as seen in many bigger markets) would only spell the end of combat flight simulators as a genre.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

What get's me most is not performance or bugs but design (all software has bugs and always will).

Only now that I've played with ROF's misson editor do I understand what 1C are trying to do with the FMB, because ROF's editor is designed for gamers to do something complex, and the FMB is for programmers to do something (they think) simple.

I really do think 1C have just no idea how to make a game. They're great at sims, and I'm sure Clod will be a great sim, but will it be a great game?

It would only have taken a little understanding of human behaviour to change the game dynamics, for example just one tree in a thousand with a hit box will keep people from flying through trees. It doesn't have to be each and every tree with a perfect hit model for each and every leaf.

777 seem to have the insight that it only takes one tree in a thousand with a hit box.

I bet 1C are feverishly looking for ways to give each and every branch a hit box 'cos that's more "real", even though it would kill the game.

And then, after six years of development, the new trees will have the leaves on upside down, but that's a whole different story.....
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8tive Delay View Post
starting an Rof thread here is like starting a ManU Thread on a ManCity Forum.

I can only say: I bought ROF 2 Month after release and it was a bit of a mess. But in no way it was in a condition like CLOD is. I don't know why people here keep saying this. oh wait ... yes: this is a City forum.

Get over it people. Someone else did a better Job with another sim. IL2 is not untouchable and has to compete other sims nowadays. That said: competition is good for us simmers and the market.

Edit: oh one more thing. Q6600 @2,4 GHz Oced to 3,2. GF: 460 Gt 4 GB of Ram. ROF nearly maxed out at 1920 x 1200 4x Anti Aliasing. View Range (of forests and objects) set to medium (tht's like max before 1.019). Saying that CLOD could come anywhere near this eyecandy with a system like mine or ROF wouldn't be able to look TOP on a system like mine, is either ignoring the truth or pure and simple frustrated rof bashing. TRUTH & FACT
Sure, competition is good and i do agree there should be no "untouchables". The rest of your post i disagree for a very simple reason, RoF just doesn't do it for me for a combination of factors that go beyond the superficial graphics comparisons.

I installed the demo, completed 5-6 sorties in the dynamic campaign during the span of two afternoons and haven't touched it since because it gives me the same feeling CoD gives to others: "A,B and C are so good that it's a real shame they implemented X,Y and Z the way they did, it spoils the overall feeling".

In other words, it's personal opinion and there's nothing to get over.

If i wanted to make an objective comparison instead of a subjective one i would rate RoF better for the short term due to having overcome its first two years of troubles and being a stable piece of software, while rating CoD the better choice for the long run due to the amount of extra objects it includes and how many of them it can support in a mission. Even today in its current, bugged state, if CoD runs on your PC you can create missions with hundreds of objects and no noticeable drop of performance, but you can't do the same in RoF no matter if it runs maxed out on a medium spec PC. CoD's problem is inconsistency of performance first and foremost (for example, i run it fine on two year old hardware, others struggle with current high-end PCs), not the lack of it across all platforms.

Last edited by Blackdog_kt; 07-06-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
yadda yadda...beat a dead horse.

I purchased RoF on the day it was released.. it was a mess, clearly a Beta, had numerous problems & issues. 2 years latter it is a gem. I hope CloD has a similar path.
+1 to that...