Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhuangzi View Post
Whitehill is completely empty, nothing to loot at all, which I admit is very strange. Not so Portland though, that should be full of enemy stacks and loot.
ok thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDobrev View Post
90 fights in, same lineup: 2 Greens, 2 Reds, Demonologists, Shamans, Demons. If I had a 3rd Ranged unit, I would use it: the demons are pretty much a mop up squad for anything that gets close to my rangers. At Inselburg now, fighting anything I see.

Game has sure opened up. I like where it is going.

Zhu, the Black dragon in Portland is easy if you leveled up your companion's Orc Sword basic skill well enough. If you have, just gulp a rage potion and unleash. Necromancers might help, as they drop the Black dragon's HP down to 800 with PLAGUE, making it possible for Blackie (or in my case Doncho, cause I wanted my lil dragon who gave me the signature back) to drop it down in a hit.

If everything's ok, this battle can be over on round 1.
I've gone a different way so far: Carrius Marrius or whatever his name is in Monteville gave me a Call of Colossus scroll for completing a quest (not fighting this other woman?), so I waited until I was up to 3000 leadership and bang, 2 Archdemons. Man, those guys are seriously overpowered. I killed the dragon with an Archdemon only army but the bigger battle by far was the King of Portland. I had the rest of my team (Demons, Demonologists, Necromancers, Cerebuses) but the issue was the two stacks of Priest of Light and one puny archer stack! I had a lot of trouble with this (level 11 I think) but eventually I figured it out. One stack gets converted by the statue rage skill, one gets the Fear, and the third gets pounded with everything else. Fight took 16 turns but by the end the map was full of Demons and Ghosts etc.

I'm ready to say this: this is the best fun I've had with King's Bounty since Armored Princess, and that was back in 2009 or so!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Aaaaaaah, I so wanted that Call of Collosus scroll!!! And I never got it, maybe cause I traded my 3xRes scrolls for the dark variation of it. Worst thing is, I have never ever gotten to using it. Bummer.

I haven't beaten the king of Portland yet, but I am in no no hurry. He is slim pickings with this squad, mainly because of the new teleport spell. I love it. NO more island to island sailing!!!

Hit level 17. Maxed Learning (+30% XP) and max Order Magic for Level 3 dark Ress. I still have tons of runes to decide what I wanna do. The Lord perk sound really nice, and it costs a shitton of stuff. We will see.

Good times

(Good times translation: Lots of fun = Impy, get the freaking game, get playing and start concocting challenges!!!)

Steam name is DG Dobrev, btw. Invite me, everyone's welcome.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb Demoness early now loss strategies

@Lordwiki PM'd me asking how I defeated the knight that stole the Demon baby.

I thought I'd post here how I did it so that everyone struggling with this battle can benefit.

I've attached our starting armies so that you can see what I was up against and compare it to your situation.

This was a tough fight!

As you can see I only had 5 Scoffer Imps, 2 Blood Priestess, 1 Demon, 2 Demonesses, and 9 Imps vs 12 Guardsmen, 73 Peasants, 18 Bowmen, 72 Peasants, and 145 Peasants. I only had 15 Mana and Fire Arrow for my spell and so I cast it 3 times (once each turn) and that was it for that. I was level 2 and had Power of Spirit and Diversion at Level 1 in the Paladin skill tree for 1 trap.

The key for me, was to prevent the Bowmen from using their Cold Arrow attack because once they do you won't be able to do no loss.

You can use the Imps and Scoffer Imps to work on whittling down the Peasant stacks with their Fireball.

The Demonesses need to move one hex forward to protect your Imps as well as block the Bowmen from escaping and then swap the Demon troop with the Bowmen. The Blood Priestesses also need to move one hex forward for the same reason and then you can use their Bleeding skill on a stack of your choosing. One note about effects like Bleeding: it does more damage the more units there are in an enemy stack. Keep that in mind for selecting a stack to use it on.

You can use the Demon's Run ability to run away from the big stacks, you can use their Bloody Pentagram to increase the morale of your troops, and summon a stack that is going to be used to keep those units away from your troops. Use them to take advantage of that one trap on the battlefield as well.

With this in mind, you should have no trouble whittling down the Bowmen until your Demonesses can Charm them. You should then be able to use the Bowmen's Cold and Fire Arrow abilities on the enemy while marching the Bowmen forward so that they can be used as a meat shield to protect your Imps and female warriors if needed.

Depending on how long you can keep your summoned troop alive, use them to be the first attack and let your Demons attack without the troop being able to retaliate. This will make those stacks more manageable. Your Demons are going to have to absorb a lot of damage in the end, but try to do this until your summoned troop is killed.

Don't forget about the Scoffer Imps' Sneer ability - it can be instrumental with protecting your Demon troop from an inopportune strike. Use the order of movement of the enemies to block each other so that it takes them longer to march down towards your troops / prevents them from attacking your Demon and his summon.

Position your Imps so that their strike and return ability allows them to attack the enemies without the enemy being able to move forward and hit them. That no retaliation is key for whittling down tough stacks.

Remember that the AI attempts to move as close as possible to your troops while still being able to attack. They will never move without attacking or using a special ability (unless something prevents them) so you can use your Demon and summoned troop to prevent them from moving forward towards your softer troops (and you can use them to run further away for another Demoness swap down the road).

You may need to have your Demon troop absorb a ton of damage where they are down to only about 20 to 30 health, but you can also let your Demonesses (and Cerberi if you use them) absorb some damage, too.

Lastly, don't forget about your recharging abilities as you may need to use swap to move an enemy far away and another summon from your Demon troop later will really be key.

This is essentially how I did all the tough early battles, by the way, including this one, the big spider stack in the Catacombs (I also attached a picture for that battle), the 3 Shelter fights, and the 3 Whitehill fights (I used Cerberi instead of Blood Priestesses for most of the other battles).

You can see that you are maximizing your unit abilities, using traps, and trying to keep the most damaging enemies away from your soft troops. Your high hitpoint units can be used to absorb damage so that they only have 20 to 30 left. Lastly, you need persistence - I kept trying and you can get a feel for the tipping point of a battle.

Good luck if you're struggling with these early battles and keep these strategies in mind!

/C\/C\
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_140823_002.jpg (1.13 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg screen_140823_003.jpg (906.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Very good tactic, Matt. The game forced me to try something else though... I did it by ditching the low-HP imps completely, as the enemy hero was "healing" them all the time and there was no way to prevent them from being killed. Instead, I split the Demoness stack in 2. This allows for more swaps around the battlefield, thus allowing you to kill stacks of archers safely, and get your troops out of the fray if necessary.

I love this fight. Makes you really think and get creative.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Approved Member

The knight is rather easy fight, but that big spider stack is indeed very difficult. I guess it all depends how game rolled your enemy stacks. Demoness start seems so fun, and well put with starting troops and stuff you can do. Vampire has vampires, zombies, ghosts, and both skeletons - like there is no hp in compassion to demoness troops. Matt did you manage to do guardians of light with vampire ? I guess that should be nice challenge for Impy.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDobrev View Post
Very good tactic, Matt. The game forced me to try something else though... I did it by ditching the low-HP imps completely, as the enemy hero was "healing" them all the time and there was no way to prevent them from being killed. Instead, I split the Demoness stack in 2. This allows for more swaps around the battlefield, thus allowing you to kill stacks of archers safely, and get your troops out of the fray if necessary.

I love this fight. Makes you really think and get creative.
That is an excellent tactic, DGDobrev, and one that I had considered, but fortunately I was able to get by with the Imps / Scoffer Imps since they are your only ranged troops for Demoness. I don't remember all the details of that fight, but I guess I was lucky that he didn't heal my Imps to where they died (if he used the heal spell at all - I just can't remember as that was two months ago!).

Nonetheless, having another Demoness does have the advantages that you state, the only downside is that you won't be able to charm as high leadership troops as you could with 2 Demonesses, but the extra swap is probably worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjazd18 View Post
The knight is rather easy fight, but that big spider stack is indeed very difficult. I guess it all depends how game rolled your enemy stacks. Demoness start seems so fun, and well put with starting troops and stuff you can do. Vampire has vampires, zombies, ghosts, and both skeletons - like there is no hp in compassion to demoness troops. Matt did you manage to do guardians of light with vampire ? I guess that should be nice challenge for Impy.
Yah, I guess game variability makes all the battles pretty personalized for your playthrough. That's why I've posted the starting pictures so that at least you can see how different the enemy stack is from what you're facing and also give you a feel for what is doable.

I've only played Demoness and have just finished Oakarland and Aralan, but all the comments here have me itching to try the other classes, at least through the Whitehill fight. But I'd really like to finish my current playthrough before I restart with another class...

It sure sounds like Orc and Vampire are much harder, although with Vampire at least Ghosts and Vampires can life steal. With Orc and Demoness, you don't have any healing whatsoever.

Does Orc get the Goblin Shamans (or whatever that new unit's name is) or at least 1 Shaman at the start? If you had one Shaman like the Demoness has 1 Demon that would be huge. Too bad for Vampire they don't give you 1 Necromancer. Seems like that would balance out the other classes as you get 2 level 4 troops with Demoness you should at least get 2 level 4 troops with the other classes as well.

Oh well, I guess that's part of the challenge!

/C\/C\
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Approved Member

Phew, I'm up to 102 fights without loss now, meaning I get the third level of the Grand Strategian medal. I hit the wall a bit at about fight 90 in Inselburg. My team, which I really liked, just wasn't doing it anymore. It consisted of Demonologists, Necromancers, Archdemons (only 2), Demons and Demonesses. This is a great team for spawning units and playing havoc with the enemy, but it's a bad team for keeping everything alive with no resurrection ability.

So, level 5 units it is...

My new team consists of ALL level 5 units in Black Dragons, Reds, Greens, Archdemons and I just got 3 Ice Dragons out of a second Call of Colossus spell. So I think I should be better able to keep everything alive. The next problem I expect will be poor access to more dragons. I have 2 Red Dragon eggs but that's it.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

You got Archies? Grats. I didn't.

My Call Collosus scroll gave me trolls, which was great news. I was very hyped up about the idea of trying to play with Dark Paladins + Phantom, as I am so used to that playstyle, but I wasn't meant to be. Not yet at any rate.

Neoline DG is level 27, 140 fights in. My lineup consists of Red Dragons, Giants (had to ditch the Green Dragons cause I have no way of replenishing them) after the dwarf castle fight, Demonologists, Shamans, and Trolls.

I am very interested to find out how do you get to Galenirim. I have a bad feeling it has something to do with that baloon, and you need silk from spider eggs for it. Well, I had like 200, and I sold them cause I didn't know better. Now I need 100 more, and have like 60 of it.

I am also wasting a lot of time going back and forth, but that's nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know how the quests go yet.

So far so good. I am quite enjoying this
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

I'm at final boss atm, level 73, 450 fights no-loss (haven't done any item upgrading fights) so you get rough idea how long the game is. Still have like 10 quests to do but I'm gonna pass on them as I'm quite burned from the game. Last fight seems fun, but nothing spectacular, just adds spawning I need to replace my dragon riders as there is unavoidable damage, so they are no good for no-loss approach.

Galenirim is pretty late game location like 50s or so, and you get it from the maps. The baloon quest is important tho, as it leads to your ability to fly, so definitely look out for those spider eggs.