Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
All of you wondering about HT and more than 4 cores should wait for late June - when Bulldozers with 6 and 8 physical cores are out. Spending extra cash on 2600k (for CoD) is money wasted IMO.
On the face of it that's good advice - except that someone in my position with a below recommended-spec dual core setup that I know won't run the game that well - is faced with spending the 3 most exciting months in the life of this new series being frustrated and annoyed at either bad fps OR low quality screens while everyone else raves about how amazing the game is.

You only get to experience the newness once - why have it messed up when you can do something about it?

Also - I'm taking an educated guess (bet!) that Bulldozer won't actually threaten the SB position as top dog - floating point implementation and no or little benefit from the extra cores for gaming

And yes - patience probably isn't my strong point.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Approved Member

S!

Some preliminary tests have shown an engineering example of BD beating a SB hands down
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Tests run by whom though? AMD?

Oh no - I'm turning into a Fanboy!

----

actually, isn't this just the latest instance of the old computing conundrum? - there is ALWAYS something better and faster just around the corner
Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Some preliminary tests have shown an engineering example of BD beating a SB hands down
Please link your source, otherwise I call BULLSHIT. Why? Because I am tired of people claiming anything they want on this forum and not backing it up.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
And yes - patience probably isn't my strong point.
Look at it this way, you won't have to deal with release bugs. There will be a patch or two out by that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Assumption is a mother of all f***.

I have read numerous rumors as well - I don't believe it until I see it. Even if it beats SB it will be marginal. And the price will reflect that.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
So you say that all multicore-CPUs use hyperthreading?

Now THAT was new to me.
Your sarcasm aside, my comment was regarding the post made on fact that single-core processors are probably not available (and if they still are, who would want to buy one? especially for gaming?!.)

That being said, if you buy a new system, it's highly likely that it will be multi-core and IF it is INTEL (this added just for you), the question of "does COD support multi-threading" can be seen as "pointless" as it WILL or WILL NOT use it and there isn't a thing you could do about it.

Unless, of course, you use this argument to say to yourself "then I'll save money and buy a single-core based system" in which case, it's a logical fail.

So relax mighty Feuerfalke, no one's looking to take your cake.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simace View Post
Your sarcasm aside, my comment was regarding the post made on fact that single-core processors are probably not available (and if they still are, who would want to buy one? especially for gaming?!.)

That being said, if you buy a new system, it's highly likely that it will be multi-core and IF it is INTEL (this added just for you), the question of "does COD support multi-threading" can be seen as "pointless" as it WILL or WILL NOT use it and there isn't a thing you could do about it.

Unless, of course, you use this argument to say to yourself "then I'll save money and buy a single-core based system" in which case, it's a logical fail.

So relax mighty Feuerfalke, no one's looking to take your cake.
It will use it, COD doesnt decide that. If the game uses over 4 threads then on i7s it will automatically switch to hyperthreading and if it only uses 4 the cpu will use HT anyway to run other apps. I5s are not HT btw.