Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I only had around an hour with the game, but I didn't get any audio glitches in that time. I'll no doubt be giving the demo a serious work out in the next few evenings, so I'll post if I encounter any issues!

Thinking about the demo today I think what impressed/pleased me the most is that Gaijin have really "got" the source material. The Apache has appeared in numerous games and although its often cosmetically accurate, its very rare for its technology to be correctly represented as well. There have obviously been compromises made for gameplay purposes, but there were a lot of little details that I kept noticing - can't wait to try and spot some more later!
You'll know it (glitch/bug) if you see it. Well hear it. Its basically like a constant never ending gunfire sound. Annoying really. But Pope has come up with a theory about how it appears. It may just be a 360 prob.

Playing alot today ive noticed things looked good inside the apache, but the dials etc dont really work. They will on sim mode though im sure. For example, the temp gauge and fuel gauge dont change. They stay as they are. They stand out though because they are bright green and in the middle of your cockpit. The only one that changes is RPM gauge. Im not to worried about all this though as its only realistic and ammo etc replenishes. On sim mode it does not so it should be fine for that. Cant wait.

Theirs a small visual glitch to, could anyone else verify this for me please?

If your engine gets shot enough and gets damaged (top left of screen it will say "engine damaged") the visuals will show the engine looks a mess. But... theirs a little pylon/rod thing that is just above each engine. When your engine gets damaged this pylon/rod looks visually wierd. It just appears connected to fresh air, touching nothing but stays with the apache. Nothing big really, just annoying to look at haha. Though not to much bother because i play from in the cockpit mode 99% of the time anyway.

Hope your all enjoying this game
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Approved Member

Why is everyone posting about a sim mode?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro View Post
What do you mean?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
According to the previews (if I read them correctly), then there is a "Veteran" mode which is as close as the game gets to full simulation. I believe this is the mode people are referring to when they talk about the "simulation" setting*.

* Someone please correct me if I'm talking crap here!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
According to the previews (if I read them correctly), then there is a "Veteran" mode which is as close as the game gets to full simulation. I believe this is the mode people are referring to when they talk about the "simulation" setting*.

* Someone please correct me if I'm talking crap here!
Ah right, now i see what he meant. My fault for not realising. Yeah "Sim" mode were talking about is the next difficulty up in the apache game which is not in the demo. It makes things harder, gives you limited fuel, ammo, and fly only in cockpit view. For the players that fancy that extra challenge
Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Ah right, now i see what he meant. My fault for not realising. Yeah "Sim" mode were talking about is the next difficulty up in the apache game which is not in the demo. It makes things harder, gives you limited fuel, ammo, and fly only in cockpit view. For the players that fancy that extra challenge
I think they call it Veteran difficulty but all I heard about it was that you just get one Helo for the entire campaign.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I think they call it Veteran difficulty but all I heard about it was that you just get one Helo for the entire campaign.
Yup, Just 1 life, limited ammo, limited fuel, cockpit only view....... though when you run out of ammo you can return to base or to a landing zone and re arm and refuel plus also repair.

Exciting eh?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

Speaking of landing...

Has anyone tried landing yet on the landing zones/heli pad on cockpit only view? How did you find it?

I've tried it!! Loved it!! crashed a couple of times, but slowly getting to grips with it. Takes me a while though. I like to attempt my landing, then switch to external view once im down and my engine has shut off to see just how close i am to the middle. Its a pretty hard thing to do unless im going wrong somewhere!!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Yup, Just 1 life, limited ammo, limited fuel, cockpit only view....... though when you run out of ammo you can return to base or to a landing zone and re arm and refuel plus also repair.

Exciting eh?
Strangely, I find it easier to fly in cockpit mode on realistic. It seems like the assists in training make turning and diving too sluggish. Landing is hard though, you have to come in real slow to stop yourself from burying the helo into the ground. I need to play around with the sensitivities more.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Strangely, I find it easier to fly in cockpit mode on realistic. It seems like the assists in training make turning and diving too sluggish. Landing is hard though, you have to come in real slow to stop yourself from burying the helo into the ground. I need to play around with the sensitivities more.
I must admit i do also prefer flying in cockpit view, everything seems much more fun and you have t opay much more attention. And the fear factor that kicks in when you pull back on the stick to much and your nose goes up... priceless haha.

Ive found with the landings, i come in slightly to the side of helipad, get level with it and then slowly bank to the left or right before setting it down. Other times i will just get roughly on top of it and use the free look to make sure i can see the perimeter of the landing pad in my left and right windows. If i can them i know im on the money, then slowly set her down.

I always fly from the pilots view aswell, never from the gunners view. Just doesnt seem as authentic if i do?