Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

Well I can conceed there are a few problems with steam. I don't see them being any bigger than the issues I've had with physical copies. I've had CDkeys already in use requiring almost 2 weeks to get a replacement key... fun. I've even had an issue with crysis and my dvd drive where the DVD drive, which I still currently use would completely refuse to aknowledge that the DVD was even in the drive, had to use a legit key on a downloaded copy ... not sure where that lands in the grey territory but since EA wouldnt help me I helped myself (only one occasion over the years but thats about as common an occurence as many issues these people are complaining about on steam).

I've used steam when it went beta with the launch of CS1.6 ... wow it was bad then. I bought HL2 and that launch was the first major launch it ever sustained up to that point... it was a mess. In the 6+ years since that point numerous updates and changes have taken place amounting to the fine piece of software that now exists. Millions of gamers use it every day and while the occasional few have issues ... the same # of people have issues with hardware, they just dont have a centralized location to complain about it like the steam forums so their voices are fragmented.

I almost wish 1946 had the benefit of steam, while all of you oldies love Hyperlobby, it was bourne out of necessity and it is definately not a great lobby software. Each person who buys IL2 is not notified that Hyperlobby even exists AND unless someone mentions it to them or they have the common sense to google search for a multiplayer function; they will never know 1946 multi-player even exists. That hasn't been healthy on our online community as the influx of players leaving has far surpassed the numbers of those joining even though many copies are sold a week on steam and other distribution sites. A centralized server querey site like a steam search or some method for game-monitor to hook into is an integral part of maintaining an online community these days.
Secondly, I've never been able to take a damn screenshot in IL21946 it instantly freezes the whole freakin game ... oh the moments of glory that will forever be missed. Suddenly last week steam releases an update that adds a screenshot button to the steam overlay!!! I rebind it to another key and WOAH screenshots that are instantly viewable in the overlay without having to minimize and/or paste into paint and save. I can take 10+ pictures in a few seconds and then go back and check for the best one just like a digital camera. Needless to say I now run my non steam version of 1946 through steam just for the overlay feature. It allows me to take screen shots and to browse the web while on the long bomber flights to and from target ... never get caught off guard like you would if you were minimized. I like steam, it has its annoyances but the gains FAR outweight the annoyances which I can frankly say I've never once noticed.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Approved Member

Awesome steal Novt - considering you visited my account / previous posts since you were arguing with me in the other thread (which "dissapeared").
I posted this already awhile ago, thanks for the credit though!
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...626#post230626

-Also the money still goes to Ubisoft via steam because Ubisoft is the publisher, they are just doing the same crap the devs could do themselves. At this point with the way things are being handled, nothing surprises me about the game or forums tbh.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Approved Member

I reposted a link which FearlessFrog posted on SimHQ, crediting him for his post and also pointing out - as he did in his post - that he found the info on Ubi. Can't see any stealing going on there; I gave full credit as to where I found the info.

Besides, information wants to be free, my dear boy; you cannot run around the internet demanding everyone check to see if you said something first. Or rather you can, and it will be funny to watch. Go for it!

Last edited by Novotny; 03-09-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdfireTrilogy View Post
I almost wish 1946 had the benefit of steam, while all of you oldies love Hyperlobby, it was bourne out of necessity and it is definately not a great lobby software. Each person who buys IL2 is not notified that Hyperlobby even exists AND unless someone mentions it to them or they have the common sense to google search for a multiplayer function; they will never know 1946 multi-player even exists. That hasn't been healthy on our online community as the influx of players leaving has far surpassed the numbers of those joining even though many copies are sold a week on steam and other distribution sites. A centralized server querey site like a steam search or some method for game-monitor to hook into is an integral part of maintaining an online community these days.
Not exactly true, there are approx 300 new users every week. Why is it not a great lobby software btw?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
Not exactly true, there are approx 300 new users every week. Why is it not a great lobby software btw?
There are not 300 new users per week on IL2 in HL, or there would be around the same loss of users.
Number of players waiting/playing is between 500-100 each time I log in.
300 per week would be noticed...

But I do think it's a great lobby. Been using it since 2002
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

Maybe 300 new *logins* a week for those who get banned from servers.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

I think great majority log in only once or twice. 250,000 members on Feb 25th or 26th

edit: Grunch, "unique" members, not just name changes.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
edit: Grunch, "unique" members, not just name changes.
Mmm, I'm not so sure about that...I'm not sure anyone could be bothered to differentiate between new logins from old IPs and ones from new IPs. Anyway, pointless argument IMO.
As for your previous question, Hyperlobby is okay at what it does but it has a very poorly organised and clunky interface - even scrolling through servers is a bit of a chore. The other thing is that it's so easy for disruptive players to just login with another name or another IP and continue being irritating on servers, which making the Steam lobby compulsory would go a long, long way toward curtailing - you can only play your game on one Steam ID after all without effectively pirating the game in some way.
The chat, pager stuff and friend lists are also very clunky and awkward to use. I suppose it all depends on how much you actually want this functionality. I don't really use that sort of thing myself but I think that will change with CoD, got several of my friends looking forward to playing it, and I'd MUCH rather use Steam's overlay and chat than HL's. Certainly people seem to use HL chat and pager messages a lot, but they are really bad compared to other lobbies' offerings.

Last edited by TheGrunch; 03-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
Mmm, I'm not so sure about that...I'm not sure anyone could be bothered to differentiate between new logins from old IPs and ones from new IPs. Anyway, pointless argument IMO.
As for your previous question, Hyperlobby is okay at what it does but it has a very poorly organised and clunky interface - even scrolling through servers is a bit of a chore. The other thing is that it's so easy for disruptive players to just login with another name or another IP and continue being irritating on servers, which making the Steam lobby compulsory would go a long, long way toward curtailing - you can only play your game on one Steam ID after all without effectively pirating the game in some way.
The chat, pager stuff and friend lists are also very clunky and awkward to use. I suppose it all depends on how much you actually want this functionality. I don't really use that sort of thing myself but I think that will change with CoD, got several of my friends looking forward to playing it, and I'd MUCH rather use Steam's overlay and chat than HL's. Certainly people seem to use HL chat and pager messages a lot, but they are really bad compared to other lobbies' offerings.
Main chat which in practice is free, instant, troubleshooting 24/7. Hardware, game hints, tips and guiding, history questions, anything. In the Steam, you have to know someone, or go forums. Thats one huge advantage... I think I link the updates, help with "game loads 5% then crashes" etc. bugs with 5 people every day, and only I sit there on average maybe 2 hours a day... So almost all the log-in time there is someone to help.

HL has forums of its own, I'm sure Jiri respects feedback and suggestions!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

That's a very good point about main chat! Hadn't thought of that. I haven't used Steam for ages...I wonder if you can have chat lobbies for a whole game in that way?