Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Someone please show me where a 3GB 580 out preforms a 1.5GB card because I've yet to see it.
Clock for clock

Last edited by r0bc; 08-18-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

I think it's not about clocks (in fact, i vaguely remember seeing some specs where the 3GB variants use a slower type of vRAM than the 1.5GB ones) but the total amount of memory.

That's specific to CoD though, due to the large texture sizes and the way they are shuffled in and out of vRAM.

Let's just say that with the graphics engine update in the upcoming patch i wouldn't be keen to buy a new GPU until i see the new patch in action, because it could all be subject to change very soon.
If for example memory management becomes better and the game swaps textures in and out of vRAM in a more efficient manner, it could be possible for everyone to up their texture settings one notch without having to buy a new GPU. In such an example my Ati 4890 1GB would probably be able to run high textures and 1.5GB cards might be able to run original size textures, with no additional money spent.

Another example, getting a 64 bit executable would allow us to use more RAM which would in turn allow the sim to load more textures in there, so instead of having to access the hard drive every time the GPU wanted a set of textures, it would access the RAM which is much faster. Buying an extra bank of DDR3 sticks to double RAM from 3-4 GB to 6-8GB (depending on triple/dual channel configurations) is much cheaper than a new GPU.

I think it's one of those times that it's best for us all to wait
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
Someone please show me where a 3GB 580 out preforms a 1.5GB card because I've yet to see it.
Clock for clock
That's easy: London is the place where the 3 Gigs come in handy

It isn't faster fps wise, but it's keeping all the textures in its ram, which completely eliminates the stutters. At least, that's what I saw, when I tested it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
I think it's not about clocks (in fact, i vaguely remember seeing some specs where the 3GB variants use a slower type of vRAM than the 1.5GB ones) but the total amount of memory.
Yes its slower but most likely due to higher latency from the 64x32 modules and increased memory controller overhead.
Higher clocked cards are faster then lower clocked cards of the same spec ... obviously ... that's the only reason I added clock for clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
It isn't faster fps wise, but it's keeping all the textures in its ram, which completely eliminates the stutters. At least, that's what I saw, when I tested it.
That's cute ..... it sounds alot like the placebo effect

Besides something like Metro 2033 DX11 at ultra high resolutions and crazy amounts of anti aliasing where you get a little better minimum framerates I haven't seen much of anything that shows a 3GB is faster then 1.5GB