Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviar View Post
Are you sure NOTHING was done regarding this issue? After applying the 4.11.1 patch, I can now play my 'bad' missions in coop mode without any lockups.

The only problem I still have is loading these big maps into the FMB. For instance, the Solomon maps refuse to load most of the time. Once in a while they will load but I haven't figured out the 'trick' (if there is one) to getting them to load every time.

However, I'm happy that now my Solomon map missions are actually playable without locking up.

Aviar
You've been very helpful in providing missions to test, so we did manage to fix some stuff. But for example 'Stress test mission' still causes lock up after some time.
I'm not sure what's going on with DCG missions lockups that I see reported.
I guess I'm off to play some DCG campaigns.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

In case it helps, I've attached the mission that caused my lock ups in 4.11.1 (generated by DCG 3.47 beta6).
I've run it 3 times now, 2 times it locked up after ~30 min flying, the other time I tried the workaround explained by Jameson here and it did not.

Thanks for the support, and for the great work you're doing!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DCG_Normandy.zip (10.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeikov View Post
In case it helps, I've attached the mission that caused my lock ups in 4.11.1 (generated by DCG 3.47 beta6).
I've run it 3 times now, 2 times it locked up after ~30 min flying, the other time I tried the workaround explained by Jameson here and it did not.

Thanks for the support, and for the great work you're doing!

That 'workaround' may or may not work for offline play but obviously could not be used with an online mission or a mission played offline in Coop mode.

On another note and just out of curiosity, what does this part of the 'workaround' mean? ---->

"The only thing I've found that works is to pause when it starts to lock up..."

In particular, what does "...when it starts to lock up..." mean? When I was experiencing lockups (in 4.11), the mission would simply lock up out of the blue. There was no 'start' or warning. So, once the mission was locked up, are you saying that following this 'workaround' would unlock the mission?

*Could it be that the person who wrote the 'workaround' instructions MEANT to say '...The only thing I've found that works is to pause BEFORE the mission usually locks up..."....?

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

Last edited by Aviar; 05-12-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Hi Aviar,

Yes, you're right, it's just a temporary (I hope ) "fix" just for offline missions.
I also did not understand the part "when it starts to lock up", for me it happens suddenly too. So the time I tried I just did it at the start of the mission, and as I said I had no lock up.
Maybe just luck, 3 tries are not a very thorough testing... But for my part, I'll include that in my engine start and warm up procedures from now on

Y.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Aviar, problem is like when in some missions planes spawn and there is a slight lock up, but it reoccurs at ever decreasing time periods until "applications tried to read memory at xxxxxxxx, memory could not be read" message appears. Thus I pause the game to stop it fully locking up. I have not had the problem onine but then it's been a while since I been online, I did not think this affected online play, but will stand corrected if this is the case. Regards.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Aviar, problem is like when in some missions planes spawn and there is a slight lock up, but it reoccurs at ever decreasing time periods until "applications tried to read memory at xxxxxxxx, memory could not be read" message appears. Thus I pause the game to stop it fully locking up. I have not had the problem onine but then it's been a while since I been online, I did not think this affected online play, but will stand corrected if this is the case. Regards.
It looks like you are having a different issue than I was having. I never had anything like "...ever decreasing time periods..." or any kind of error messages once my game locked up.

Also, my lockups were occurring online as well as offline, as I host a lot of coop missions.

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

Last edited by Aviar; 05-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Approved Member

Since I recently restarted playing Il2 after a couple of years rest I had to start from scratch. I have two installs. One is 4.11.1 with HSFX 6 and the other is 4.10 with SAS DBW.
I have several of my old favourite missions...all of which are large and what you would call stressfull. They either will not run or get the lock-ups after about 8 minutes into the mission.
This happens on both installs.
I am now using Win7 but previously when they ran OK I was on WinXP and that was with 4.09 and 4.10 and HSFX 5.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Well, well, well. I don't spend much time on these forums any more and just ran across this thread; one of our squad members discovered it, probably while researching the lock-up issues we are experiencing. Our squad has a custom build of 4.11.1 and HSFX 6, flies in the AKA on-line war scenarios twice weekly, and experiences what seem to be random lock-ups in the game *all simultaneously", meaning that five or six of us will experience a game freeze at precisely the same moment.

It's maddening, and nothing we've done in trouble-shooting the issue has found the cause. I thought the problem was squad-specific and hence a problem with our game build, but that isn't correct; others in the campaign not in our squad also suffered the freezes and now I see that the problem is more wide-spread. At least I can stop chasing my tail.

I can affirm that 4.11.1 did not fix the problem.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Approved Member

Being an old machine code programmer from the early 60's the words that jump out for me are:

"This is why it seems like some sort of paging or memory issue."

With only 8k of memory on a IBM 1401 we experienced a lot of memory constipation.

Its worth looking in this aspect, no matter how much memory, real or virtual paging you have.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Approved Member

It's been over 7 months since anyone has posted to this thread so I have pretty much forgotten about it. Since it has been 'revised', I'll add just a little bit more info.

Since it was released, I have been playing HSFX-6 pretty much non-stop. HSFX-6 is based on 4.11.1 and it is interesting to note that I have not had any lock-ups at all. I can also load all of the maps in the FMB with no problem.

This is unlike 4.11.1 stock, where I still get the previously mentioned problem of not being able to load some of the bigger maps into the FMB.

I sometimes wondered if possibly the problem might be with my computer...maybe the memory, or something like that. But since HSFX-6 is running flawlessly, I'm inclined to think the issue is with the stock version.

I'm curious as to why the problems arise in the stock game and not in HSFX-6. They are both running version 4.11.1 and in theory should be very similar. Is there something in HSFX-6 that has fixed the issues that I (and others) are having in stock 4.11.1?

Let's see what 4.12 brings to the table.

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

Last edited by Aviar; 05-25-2013 at 06:54 PM.