Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Warrior, Paladin, Mage

Warrior, Paladin, Mage Different classes in King's Bounty

Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Approved Member

Just a sidenote. If you ever use Dryad/Demoness, you can also use Sacrifice on the charmed enemy troops. Of course, it is less stellar than Hypnotize.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauvhk View Post
Just a sidenote. If you ever use Dryad/Demoness, you can also use Sacrifice on the charmed enemy troops. Of course, it is less stellar than Hypnotize.
I don't know about that... Demonesses + Anga's ruby (or even without they have a high initiative).

Round 1 have a tank unit and the demonesses wait. Demonesses go last swap Tank unit for stack of humanoids.

Round 2 Demonesses go first - hypnotize. Immediately cast sacrifice.

The advantage is you get to cast whatever spell(s) you want in turn 1. It is especially useful for warriors/paladins who do not get high magic and thus cannot hypnotize sacrifice on the same round and it also saves on the mana so you need to spend less time regening/recharging. I have used this to terrific effect on immpossible (I rush to Demonis and grab Demonesses first thing).

Sacrifice is also hilariously mana efficient as an attack spell....

Few other points:

Blind is terrific, it works on undead.

Target is also awesome if you get a big tank unit, becomes even more awesome when you get timeback.

Dragon arrows will turn a stack of undead archers into an unstoppable killing machine.

People love phantom and it is very useful in certain situations, but to be honest, I can achieve almost the same or better crowd control effect using target/blind for a fraction of the mana cost.

Stoneskin vs. gods armor... God's armor prevents more damage but is pricey from a mana standpoint and it also requires a hefty investment in order. I tend to focus on distortion first (for all the awesome spells) and then chaos (solely for sacrifice efficiency, everything else is useless to me, except perhaps for demon portal).

This is coming from an impossible difficulty warrior/paladin player. Mages may find other things more useful (especially if they are lucky enough to get their hands on armageddon).

Last edited by Amiable; 12-31-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

God's armor is stuck on max resistance, so only good about it is that it provide resistance agains all types of damage (but astral )

Target is great, but it has limits on: mind immune enemy, level 5 enemy units... than Phantom works fine... that is why I use Phantom, sooner I get used to Phantom tactics better later on... so even if phantom tactics may seem too difficult and expensive early on, you will adopt the "way of phantom" and will be excellent player till the bittern end of this game, but using target spell instead will leave you blindfooted against cyclops, dragons, archdemons etc...
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatts View Post
God's armor is stuck on max resistance, so only good about it is that it provide resistance agains all types of damage (but astral )

Target is great, but it has limits on: mind immune enemy, level 5 enemy units... than Phantom works fine... that is why I use Phantom, sooner I get used to Phantom tactics better later on... so even if phantom tactics may seem too difficult and expensive early on, you will adopt the "way of phantom" and will be excellent player till the bittern end of this game, but using target spell instead will leave you blindfooted against cyclops, dragons, archdemons etc...
Yeah I agree, late game phantom sees a lot more use (when you have higher level stacks and more of them), but early game I prefer target. But I find if you are clever about your tanking unit you can usually get higher level folks to focus on them. (Im having fun now running a dryad unit up front and having her cast her summon thorns ability, for some reason the high level mobs LOVE to attack her and/or the thorns - thorns are like sweet delicious cake to dragons).

I'm a bit lazy though, I like to end battle battles at near full mana/rage and I find if I use phantom I end up spending a lot more time rebuilding one I get combat under control...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

Enemy AI units go mostly for:
1.) your most dangerous unit (your unit dealing type of damage AI is vulnerable to, or is strong shooter, or both)

2.) is weak against the type of damage AI is dealing (Dragons with Fire damage, will most likely attack your thorns as they will deliver much more damage/kills than if the would attack any other unit... +100% damage)

Also sometimes AI goes just for the nearest (this turn I can hit this summoned loser or noone... hmm I take the loser...)

The base logic I see behind AI logic is to deliver damage ASAP, not huge planning or strategy... so you can go for BAIT strategy using any spell or even w/o spells... AI is basically looking on type of resistance/damage and HP, it can't calculate well with it's own skills/abilities and not at all with yours...

So AI brainlessly uses up all its abilities and totally does not try to hinder you from using yours... the max we may await from AI is to try to hinder your shooters... but even this can be avoided by BAIT strategy , so at the end, phantom or target... AI has many logic holes that players who are not first time in strategy world can reveal very fast and so sadly spoil the game little bit (not me, first I am not good stretegyst, that is also the reason for second point, which is : I love to rock'n'roll on bodies of my fallen enemies... )
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

For warriors, top 3 spells:

(1) Hypnotize (Distortion)

Use it to open a battle and complete waste the enemy's turn. The AI makes it a priority to kill the hypnotized friendly unit. Cast it just after evil beholder's special ability (of the same effect) and you get one more turn of hypnosis.

(2) Phantom (Distortion)

Sometimes it is impossible to hypnotize any enemy unit, but phantom works as well. Just clone your best unit and use it to tank.

(3) Sacrifice (Chaos - lv2 is enough)

Great for growing stacks that's hard to come by. For example, only 22 ever-useful inquisitors were ever available to me in my game. With the spell I've grown it to a stack of 300+ by late game. You need some good intelligence to be able to sacrifice a dragon back at chaos lv 2, but you can just buy them later anyway.

These are the spells that I use > 80% of the time. Dragon Arrow and Dispel are handy but you don't need to upgrade them at all.

Last edited by maltz; 01-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltz View Post
Dragon Arrow and Dispel are handy but you don't need to upgrade them at all.
I disagree about the second half of that statement. I agree about dragon arrows - i rarely need more than the 2 (iirc) that the basic level provides, and the upgrade only increases the number of them you get, not their effectiveness etc. Dispel, however, is practically useless at 1st level. All it does is remove all spells on any friendly troop. It therefore cannot be used to remove a buff from an enemy unit, or remove hypnotize from your own unit etc. At second level, it gains the ability to be used on an enemy unit, which is nice, but at third level it becomes truly amazing. At third level, it dispels negative effects from a friendly unit or positive effects from an enemy unit. This is truly amazing, especially since the cost does not increase from level to level, but stays a low 5 mana. It will remove the debuffs put on you without removing the buffs, and removes the buffs on your opponents without removing the debuffs.

Extra hint with dispel: cast it on any phantom troop for instant death of that troop. But you can only do this to your opponent with level 2+ dispel.

I know it means getting levels in order, but I've had a lot of success with a 3/3/1 o/d/c warrior. As a warrior, you will never need powerful damage spells from chaos, the only reason for more chaos is so you can use sacrifice to gain dragons. Personally, I've never had problems with not enough dragons - there are plenty available for sale, and the inquisitors/timeback/gift cycle will easily res them back, with time, except for blackies, of course, but sacrifice can't gain you any blackies anyways. And the extra order means full power from spells like: res, helplessness, bless, battle cry, dispel, divine armor, etc - mostly spells that are more effective on bigger armies.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

That's one of the great things about this game--at different points in the game, against different types of enemies, using different types of characters yourselves, different spells make sense.

Having played mostly as an early-level wizard, my Fireball dishes out a lot more damage than any individual stacks that I have (except maybe a blessed stack of Royal Snakes fighting Undead!), but it there are many variables, and they call change over time.

The fact that there is no single "logical spell progression path" is part of what contributes to the game's replay value!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Fireball, ice dragon thing. Poison skull, flame arrow. Basically take out as many units as possible for they get into mele range
Old 02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Approved Member

Default Useful spells for Mage on Impossible

I am about 2/3 through the Impossible Mage game. Now I consistently pull off 0-loss battles thanks to the following spells:

(1) Resurrection. Obviously needed for 0-loss. Inquisitor + Gift gets better at end game (when your stack of inquisitors grows over your spell power).

(2) Trap. Very effective at stopping an advancing army. Also you... just know where that huge dragon stack is going to land, right?

(3) Mass Lv 3 Magic Shackles. Remove annoying fireballs from all demons!

(4) Sheep. Instantly render a huge stack useless for 2 terms. Better than slow the stack does not retaliate - so you can freely gang up and beat the crap out of it.

(5) Slow. Cast it early on a bad stack and don't worry about this stack for quite a while.

Direct damage spells are losing their appeal. You can still fireball out a huge Royal Thorn stack as there is 100% damage bonus.

Other very handy things:

- Reaper's Time Back - take heavy loss and boom! It never happened! Be careful that the old location has to be kept empty.

- Higher magic. I only have level 2 and it is soooo good.