Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
The Mustang in the video lost power as it was coming in (did you notice the puff of smoke?) and the pilot had to let her settle well short of the runway, the berm that the plane hit was supposed to be the edge of the field. I would say that considering the circumstances, that was an excellent landing.
yep, there was a failure with one of the camshaft gears if memory serves. The pilot could have put her down flawlessly had it not been for that stupid bank on the runway edge. With such a sudden power loss the pilot had pretty much little to do, all he could do was hanging on to the stick and hoping the Stang would keep its tail down. If it wasn't for that ramp it would have been just a rougher landing, but it's worth noting that even on such a hard hit only one landing gear leg bent slightly.

Here's Sally-B doing the same thing, although with all engines working all the pilot needed to do was give it a bit of throttle and help her down gently

Quote:
As for the speculation about landing versus parachuting, I can certainly see the reluctance to jump out of a perfectly land-able aircraft. Hartmann belly flopped some 17 or so aircraft before being forced to bail out of one that was literally falling apart. Parachutes were an unknown quantity, landing a plane was, even if it was damaged.

It will be interesting to find the real story. If it's indeed there to be found.
well belly landing per se is a risky business with such aircraft on a rough field, let alone on a rocky desert! Don't forget you're coming down at 90-100 mph! We don't usually wear parachutes on the T-6, because it has such a sturdy wing that you can easily put it down in a field, but on the Mustang we always wear a chute: belly landing can be catastrophic because if it flips you're dead, since there's no armour headrest or protection frame to save the canopy from crushing. That's how the late Paul Morgan died unfortunately, and it's definitely an ugly way to go.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Approved Member

I was at Sywell the day Baby Gorilla flipped over, saw the whole incident unfold, really sad.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
I was at Sywell the day Baby Gorilla flipped over, saw the whole incident unfold, really sad.
I'm glad I wasn't there, I never met him but my friends there always told me he was an absolutely fantastic man he was. His P-51 Susy was a real cutie, it's in Germany now I think.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Approved Member

He had a corsair too, what happened to that?

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
He had a corsair too, what happened to that?
AFAIK there was nobody else in his family that could fly the planes, so they decided to sell them. They held on Susy for a while, but it eventually went.

EDIT: The Corsair went across the pond apparently, and it also seems that the Sea Fury is being restored abroad.

Last edited by Sternjaeger II; 04-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Great video! Thank you!

If you are insecure: use more bullets.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

WOW... Thx for sharing this!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Approved Member

Wow that was awsome!

Cheers for posting
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopSnoot View Post
thank you for posting.

I always find it incredible that the F15 was first in tactical use as far back as the mid 70's, so far ahead of its time then but still going strong now.
It was intended to replace the F4 in 'nam but never made it in time.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Approved Member

Great video.

Now imagine doing all that in a tiny 1,000hp fighter getting to 200m in order to shoot at someone else. Then go further back and imagine being in a 110hp biplane geting to 10m...

Hood