Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

Not sure if you're aware of this, but no one paid extra for early access. We actually paid less for early access. So the people who want their money back are idiots.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthursmedley View Post

ooooo my dears, how your critical standards have fallen and how the same old CoD-trolls who could never say anything positive about CoD are now lapping everything up that shines and glitters in the RoF-BS marketing spiel !!!!

that night time chocolate-cockpit with its little christmas lights and moody lighting effects might look PRETTY, but IT DOESNT LOOK REAL and it does not simulate what the cockpit of a historical ww2 aircraft would look at night with its instrument lighting on ! (and yes, i have seen the real item).
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 11-27-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
Well Jason rules with an iron fist over there ...
lol exactly !

if you try and have some honest questions or are even slightly critical of ANYTHING related to the RoF-BS project at their forums it gets instantly deleted and people get banned for repeatedly doing so. if you say anything perceived by their mods as being in any way negative it's removed instantly, giving to the casual or uninformed visitor to their forum a misleading impression that all is well. the main other RoF forums are also filled nowadays with disgruntled users complaining about the current state of that game, so it doesnt bode well for the future of RoF-BS

and they also heavily censors any type of normal discussion on important missing features, like: no coop, no offline content (it is strictly online only and requires a net connection), their pay2win strategy with a perpetual trickle of releases of uberplane addon aircraft so only the ones with deep pockets can win online with better aircraft, lack of end user new map making and complex mission making tools, no end-user and 3e party made new content etc...., all of which can only be described as trying to create a misleading impression of the lack of importance of some of these missing features, lack of overall content of a ww2 battle that was a huge ground based slogfest between 2 major armies (just look at the landscape previews, it is empty lifeless, and dead), their hidden pricing and sales policies, and the pay2win sales model being used.

even worse, some of their moderators and marketing drones are shouting insults at posters in other forums as well (while masquerading as "normal forum users" and not identifying themselves as stakeholders), trying to plant misleading information and manipulate the discussions to give it positive spin and drum up prospective new (uninformed) customers

not exactly a business style that inspires confidence
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 11-27-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

The Freidrich looks rather nice. The more detailed ground handling makes it a bit of a handful on takeoff and landing. Too much throttle while taxiing will have the unwary turning a full 360 very quick. So nice to be back over a patch of the motherland though.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

interesting shots, thanks ...that unlock list looks as though it may be long

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

Just had a quick look, only the 20mm pods if you scroll down. Perhaps they'll add some other stuff later when they are out of alpha.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
and they also heavily censors any type of normal discussion on important missing features, like: no coop, no offline content (it is strictly online only and requires a net connection)
There is no such thing as "important missing features" in an alpha version of a game.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Just had a quick look, only the 20mm pods if you scroll down. Perhaps they'll add some other stuff later when they are out of alpha.
Yea the scroll bar definitely has some room then for more

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post

ooooo my dears, how your critical standards have fallen and how the same old CoD-trolls who could never say anything positive about CoD are now lapping everything up that shines and glitters in the RoF-BS marketing spiel !!!!

I think this guys got a question for you Zap.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=41077
Old 11-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
I tend to disagree with you on this. There are already some demonstrated features in BOS that break new ground - the quality of the pilot figure models sets a new standard, with animation used during normal flying to provide a very believable representation, and also animated bailout sequences.

The new cone-lighting used for the Soviet aircraft landing lights (and vehicle lights) is very impressive. Also interior cockpit lighting that is visible externally.

The quality of the ground-handling physics in the recent dev update video - again a new standard of quality there. They also say that FM is modelled to a new standard too. Time will soon tell.

The idea for the single player campaign of having server-generated missions with server-generated ground units, friendly and enemy AI flights, etc is new and potentially could be very immersive.

If the recently trailed AI is as impressive in reality as it appeared in print (vastly expanded sets of maneouvers) then it will be something special.

Stalingrad is apparently modelled to a very detailed level beyond what has been attempted before in a flight sim.

So I'd say there are already features that are ground-breaking. The focus for the new game seems to be on 'immersion' - if they can achieve that then I'll be happy. I was fortunate enough to be gifted a premium edition of the game a few weeks ago (after initially deciding to hold off on buying) so I'll be interested to try it out and judge for myself.

I wanted to test out the alpha version before I commented, kendo. Over all I like it and do hope the additions you feature come to fruition, and I won't comment on AI until I try it for myself. It's only fair.

The pilot animation, while very nice looking is the same three movements over and over again. Heck, the LaGG is going down the runway at full speed and the pilot wipes his nose ( brow). IDK if I'd be doing that in real life. The fact he does it every ten seconds is ridiculous, IMO.

The light cones are a nice touch, but to me are nothing but an extension of RoF's lighting effects as a burning plane reflects the light on water or land. It's very good. I'm glad they implemented the effect, but I was expecting good lighting anyway so as I said in my last post it's not ground breaking.

The ground physics add a lot of realism and I find the handling to be above any flight sim I've flown. Well done.

I haven't see Stalingrad, but honestly I'm not impressed with the few cities on the map so far. They are too generic and repetitive for my tastes. It's like they were positioned on graph paper and the builings and fences were built at rigid intervals. Now, they may be place holders and we may see something as beautiful as RoF's cities...... but in all candor those don't come anywhere near the scale and depth of CoD's London or Cannes.

The rest will be shown on release and I hope you're right - that we'll get detailed, immersive off line campaigns with superlative AI. To me, that's the holy grail of combat flight sims.

I think this is the evolution of IL2. It won't have the detail of CoD - or maybe even some of the physical/graphic realism, but I think it'll be a very nice sim, and I look forward to more development. Hopefully it will meet our expectations.

As I said earlier I have CoD. Now I have BoS. If DCS' 1944 sim has positive news, I'll have that too.