Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Hi everybody, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I've heard many complaints on here from people saying "I don't like X so I won't be buying the game unless it's fixed!" I thought most of these posts were silly, but now I find myself in a fairly similar situation. Here's the deal: I'm going to be dropping over $100 on this game if I get it, since I need to get a flight stick as well. So far I like the game. I DLed the demo and enjoyed it. However, if I'm going to spend $100 I expect to get a game that's complete. This lack of cockpits for some planes has me concerned that this isn't so. It's not difficult to model a cockpit. Just get a photo from a book and make the dials and switches. My little brother can accomplish far more complex modeling jobs in a day and he doesn't even have any formal training! If I was an arcade player, I wouldn't care, but I intend to play in sim where there is no external view. I can understand if the game was rushed by the publisher, but I need to know the following before I can make up my mind on a purchase:

1) How many aircraft do not have cockpits? Is it just the bombers or some fighters as well? I understand if you're not allowed to post the exact list of planes, but I think a generic quantity isn't too much to ask.

2) What plans do you have for fixing this issue?

I'd be perfectly happy buying the game even if it only had 8 cockpits, just so long as a patch was promised. If it's only bombers & there's no patch then I might accept it (grudgingly), but if it's something like "all Axis planes have no cockpits and there likely won't be a patch" then I'm not buying. I know my single purchase isn't a big deal, but I have a feeling many others share my concerns. Seriously, cockpit skins are an integral part of flight simulators. It's as if Activision announced that some of then guns in their next Call of Duty game weren't going to have skins, just wireframes! I've been really looking forward to this game since i heard about it and I sure hope I'm wrong about this, because if not that's a huge disappointment.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger7 View Post
It's not difficult to model a cockpit. Just get a photo from a book and make the dials and switches. My little brother can accomplish far more complex modeling jobs in a day and he doesn't even have any formal training!
You know what though, it shouldn't even be this difficult because the cockpit models already exist. The developers don't have to make them from scratch. All the cockpits are already present in the PC IL2 / pacific fighters / 1946. I'm sure they just import them in albeit a few graphical changes.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKFAM View Post
That is the price we pay for gaming becoming a multi-billion dollar industry.

Gaming by gamers for gamers died a very long time ago.
This is very true, now the bacon is paid by people who "waggle"

Hopefully the game will gets lots of downloadable content and get supported for a good long time. I will make sacrafices in realism as long as the dev doesn't abandon the game like so many devs do.

and this will be my first real complaint, the lack of cockpits is pretty inexcusable to me. I model in MAYA hence the name and I can churn out accurate cockpits ready for texturing in about a day, and that is a pretty detailed model. Hell if you want I can churn two out using Hash animation master since I am so good with the splines. Kinda dissapointed.

But I am still getting the game to support the dev, hopefully they will repay us loyal sim fans with something via DLC or in the next game.

Last edited by MAYAman; 08-06-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfield View Post
You know what though, it shouldn't even be this difficult because the cockpit models already exist. The developers don't have to make them from scratch. All the cockpits are already present in the PC IL2 / pacific fighters / 1946. I'm sure they just import them in albeit a few graphical changes.
Good point. I didn't think of that. What the heck is going on Anton?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger7 View Post
This lack of cockpits for some planes has me concerned that this isn't so. It's not difficult to model a cockpit. Just get a photo from a book and make the dials and switches. My little brother can accomplish far more complex modeling jobs in a day and he doesn't even have any formal training! .
um , no you have no idea what you are talking about...
its very difficult to model a cockpit.

lets see your brother model a scale p51 cockpit , fully mapped in 1 week please.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparlan007 View Post
Their being lazy is whats going on.

~~Sparlan007~~
you shut the **** up right there , anton and his team have worked their asses off to bring us this game and more particularly the demo itself.

Just because they could not model every single cockpit of the planes doesnt mean they are "lazy"

it means there were time/money constraints you silly prick
Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Guys, this not a place to insult each other, especially the devs. First and last infraction goes to Sparlan007. And Guiltyspark, never use such expressions here we a all normal people and can cope without such things.