Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Technical problems and solutions

Technical problems and solutions Questions and solutions

Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Well i was having the same prob with the DEP. The underground cave with the Bone Dragons in the Northen Island map.

So I tried several patches... no go since they make my DVD invalid. I thought a reinstall would fix the prob. Didn't. Made a DEP exclusion for kb.exe. No go.

So without bothering about the OS compatibility idea I tried AMD's solution; Fusion. Since I have a X2 CPU which is DEP capable I figure the Fusion util from AMD to minimise interferrance from OS and other programs while playing games should help.

Well I manage to finish that battle with the Bone Dragons and vampires without the DEP error. And have fought several more battles. Don't if it will forstall any errors later in the game but maybe someone else would like to make a go at it too.

BTW my King's Bounty has no distributor (apparantly) and it is marked as 1.6.4

Which patch is this? I am from Malaysia and got the game from New Era distributions.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

BTW I am using Vista 64bit.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

I got the DEP error crash when I talked to Mirabella (sp?) after slaying the kraken. I know its the common bug but the DEP crashes just happen more and more often. I look around online for a bit about DEP and decide to just disable it and I never have any problem again. Look on the internet for info about DEP (search DEP vista to get it) and choose to disable it or not yourself to play the game without frustration. This is how you disable DEP:

Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

That's probably the best solution. I'll try it since i have a save game which has a DEP error

Ok to correct your guide a bit:

Right click on Cmd (at top), and click on Run as Adminstrator.

type bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Restart the computer to apply.

type wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

The number should say 0.

Here is the full guide

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...e-disable.html

Last edited by scorp76; 02-13-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I run Kings bounty on a HP Laptop with Nvidia 8400M Graphics.
Operating System Vista 32

It was almost unplayable until I disabled the following startup programs and services. All are installed with the Nvidia video driver. I have not noticed any loss in features and slightly better compatibility with Media Player.

RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Nvidia display driver service

I used windows defender to disable the first two and changed the startup of the Nvidia display service from automatic to manual.

The biggest help came from disabling the display service.

The same actions improved a friends computer with a Nvidia 8500GT Graphics card. After these changes he completed the game start to finish without 1 crash.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Ive been having the same problems with this. Tried shutting down the DEP function and other things mentioned in here, but nothing have helped.

So yesterday i updated the drivers on my graphic card and after that i managed to play about 2 hours not experiencing any crash, before they were very frequently.

Using GT8800 and Vista32.

Hope this will help someone
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Having the same issue now every time I try to enter the cyclops cave in the dwarf lands. I shut off DEP and it still shuts down the program everytime I try and enter there. DEP shows as turned off, but it is still crashing the program. ANy more ideas?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Approved Member

Same Problem here.

Why is there no patch for this????
Old 05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Same problem here. I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 bit. All my drivers are up to date and I don't get these DEP issues with ANY program besides King's Bounty. Let's go 1C, this should be resolved by now, it's obviously a Vista issue, one primarily seeming to affect the 64 bit versions more than anything else.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This issue needs patching!