Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
'The language of the Universe is mathematics' - can't remember who I'm quoting, but have you ever tried to explain differential equations to a dolphin?

If so, what would you say was the dolphin's overall aptitude for calculus?

But I agree with the pub part.
I remember reading that too and thinking "typical human presumption"

mathematics is the language of nerds, it's just a form that we use to interpret what's around us, but it's a key of reading that we invented.

As for communication skills, the day you'll be able to use your sinuses as a sonar I'll agree with you

..can I have a pint of Bombardier now please?!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
..can I have a pint of Bombardier now please?!
Most certainly sir. I find it a little strong for my pallette I'm afraid.

It's a nice warm soapy pint of Theakston's Best Bitter for me I should say.

All this 'extra cold' nonsense. It's just not British.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Approved Member

... So we're out camping (as in tents) in the middle of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada.
It's pitch black for real, and all of a sudden the weirdest, strangest looking light starts soaring up on the horizon...

Missile test? Maybe, as it was unidentifiable, no one got abducted, but everyone in the group thought it was one of the most amazing experiences...

The world is amazing beyond belief when you consider that there's not even a flea living anywhere else outside of our atmosphere ( that we know of )

But, the thought of something being out there is just plain interesting...
It's the wonder of it all!

Anyway, if a civilization was capable of getting here, they would probably take one look at our mess and do a U-turn! Why waste their time! Unless they want to use and abuse us!.... Oh, that's right, they already are!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post

At the time it wasn't possible to test this particular aspect (your example, not every aspect of his theories) experimentally but over the years it has.
It has been shown also, that in some cases, particles can and do TFL
(Quantum Tunnelling)

Quote:

If I'm going 50mph in a car and turn my headlights on, the beams still go the speed of light to the observer at the side of the road. The 4th dimension of time adjusts.
light travels faster than the headlights producing it do, so it makes it hard to understand yourthing there
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 08-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
It has been shown also, that in some cases, particles can and do TFL
(Tunnel Diode)

light travels faster than the headlights producing it do, so it makes it hard to understand yourthing there
Link for the Tunnel Diode effect please. If it's what I'm thinking of, there is no actual travelling FTL here but another effect I believe is called quantum tunneling.

The light from the headlights to an observer would not go any faster than the headlights themselves although to you (in the car) it may appear so. Time, in this sense is different for the observer than yourself.

Read the article or do your own googling and you will get a better explanation than from me.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
equal and opposite reaction, the throw of the ball will create just enough opposite force to slow the train enough so the balls travel is never faster than light.
We have a winner!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

What happens if the light source starts in say, America, then crosses into Canada, would that metric thing make something blow up?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
What happens if the light source starts in say, America, then crosses into Canada, would that metric thing make something blow up?
Is the light properly regulated and received proper approval from the regulatory body that controls it's function?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Approved Member

Apologies Sternjaeger, a bit sharp yes, but not directed totally to you. It was more a statement on the "consensus/ heretic" thing which has plagued the world since Adam was a boy.... the catwoman jealousy was in direct reply though

Quote:

Link for the Tunnel Diode effect please. If it's what I'm thinking of, there is no actual travelling FTL here but another effect I believe is called quantum tunneling.

yes, you are correct there (post amended and no more Coopers for me tonight )

Quote:

The ight from the headlights to an observer would not go any faster than the headlights themselves although to you (in the car) it may appear so.
(I believe you mean 'L'ight - point taken )

correct in that the headlights aren't travelling as fast as the light they are outputting and we agree (it seems) that the viewport of the observer does have effect on that which is observed

Quote:

Time, in this sense is different for the observer than yourself.
the thing about time is; a (us) 3 dimensional person cannot understand the 4th dimension, any more than a 2 dimensional critter can understand the 3rd dimension.

I'll explain it this way: all we see/ understand of the 4th dimesnion is as a shadow of what that dimension is. eg draw a cube on a sheet of paper (2 dimensional x / y that paper is for this purpose). Now try to explain what height is (Z) to that which has no concept of "up" to explain what a cube is.

Quote:

Read the article or do your own googling and you will get a better explanation than from me.
In the 5th dimension, gravity isn't valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post

equal and opposite reaction, the throw of the ball will create just enough opposite force to slow the train enough so the balls travel is never faster than light.
EOR plays out in the shoulder and hips... even if some made it through, the ball still travels from the rear to the front of the carriage

try again
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 08-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
EOR plays out in the shoulder and hips...
Which transfer the force to the train... Bongo nailed it.