Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Death to Spies

Death to Spies Stealth action. Professional spy working for the Soviet counterintelligence service executes dangerous operations in the heart of German territory.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Fantastic game based on the demo, though I find the AI unpredictable at times, in that it takes a while to figure out just what being 'hidden' really means. In the first mission a set of 3 Germans spotted me, even though I was laying down, behind a tree, 20 feet from them, and in the bushes.

In many ways this issue seems to stem from the third person view, but from the looks of it, the game switches to a more urban setting later on, so it's not really a huge thing.

For any future expansions or sequels though, it would be nice to have a Splinter Cell like exposure gauge, just because unlike real life, it's too hard to figure out how hidden you are just by your surroundings in most games.

Overall I like this game because as the post above states, it challenges you in a way that most Western/American games simply do not. Making you carry a German firearm, for instance, when in a German outfit is simply masterful--a great touch. It makes the AI feel smart, without having to resort to super complicated, and for that matter, resource hogging AI programming.

Also, I think this game would be better if your character had a Nano Suit and laser guns. Along the same lines, a sweet mission would be to have you rescue some children from a German Labor camp, only to have the children attack you because they aren't actually children, but Vampires.

Please include that level in any sequel.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

This game sounds very challenging, I will have to try it
Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

I'm currently halfway the bridge mission, so I may suggest things that are indeed in the game but just in missions I've don't played yet. That said, here's my take:

-GRAPHICS: Outdated, but still VERY good. This game truly shows what good design can do. I was VERY surprised to see that my crappy ATI Radeon 9800 PRO was able to run a game published in 2007 with every graphic option set to high. Very well done. I'll give it a 7/10

-SOUND: Correct, but soldiers are too silent. More chatter would be great, and made them look more alive. 6/10.

-GAMEPLAY: Just what I expected, and then a bit more Great level design. Good enemy AI. Some glitches prevent this from going higher (see comments below) 8/10

-OVERALL: 8/10

Now, my personal comments. Please note that I'm so far finding the game a bit too easy in the hardest difficulty level, and that some of my comments would raise the difficulty (other will lower it). Some comments are just nit-picking and don't have any impact at all, it's just that I'd find them cool

-It's a bit stupid that you can't stun a soldier if you're not behind.
-Soldiers should hear if a guy just 1 meter away from them gets downed.
-Carrying a long arm when dressed up as officer should raise suspicion (carrying a Thomson while dressed up as Colonel in Los Alamos felt quite cheesy ).
-When dressed up as officer you should get another pistol slot. You're supposed to be carrying a Luger openly and your silenced one concealed.
-It's VERY ANNOYING that you have to be directly behind a guy to choke/cut his throat. It should be easier. Like now it feels like you must be at 180º from where the guy is looking. There should be a wider "window" of a about 20º-30º IMHO
-Even silenced guns make noise. Silenced guns should make at least the same noise as opening a door. Probably even a bit more.
-It should be easier to open/close doors.
-Knife should not be 1hit-kill no matter where you hit the guy (should force you to aim it). It feels goofy to kill a guy by knifing him in the ass
-Some mission should force you to shoot your way out. There are tons of different guns and so far I've never shoot a non-silenced weapon.
-Some mission should force you to shoot your way in I find a pity that you have designed so many good looking soviet guns that don't see any action during the game.

Great game! I'd love to see an expansion/sequel.

Last edited by redscare; 12-07-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscare View Post

Great game! I'd love to see an expansion/sequel.
We are already thinking about an expansion for this one, so stay tuned. Should make an announcement pretty soon.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Approved Member

There are a few more things that bother me. If an enemy throws a grenade at you, there is simply no chance of escaping it. the player should be allowed to run fast for a very short time, like 8 seconds in order to get away from the blast area. Its really annoying that they throw grenades at you and you simply can't get away in time. Its too much trial and error.

Also I think they should make the weapons at least a little more accurate, I know its realistic but its a bit exagerrated especially when the crosshair turns red indicating a clear shot, and when I fire, it doesnt hit the enemy. The developers included an incredible variety of weapons (beautifully modeled and detailed!) but they aren't really usefull when they are inaccurate. Just make them a little more accurate plz. I'm referring mostly to the rifles, but the SMGs should have their accuracy also slightly increased

Also can't wait to see a map editor! Or at least a simple mission editor that allows us to place or remove objects such as vehicles, soldiers and items on the existing maps. It would be such a waste if they don't include one, renember what happened with H&D2? So much modding potential gone down the drain. =\

EDIT: I just realized there are cheats for spawning vehicles and items, i tired them and they work! A map editor may not be necessary if its too much trouble.

Last edited by Sgt.Schnitzel; 12-21-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

I don't agree at all. The game is deadly, and it's OK as it is. Anyway, I've been able to run away from grenades with minor scratches only. But the best way to avoid grenades is avoid raising the alarm in the first place.

Also, all guns have 100% accurary in my experience. The bullet always goes exactly to where your crosshair is in that moment. SMGs too, but those have a bitch of recoil that sends your crosshair sky-high . Just aim for the knees, let a burst go, and you've nailed them with about 6 bullets. I only tried to fight my way out in the "rescue the prisioner" mission. It was difficult but fun. Then I reloaded my saved game and did the mission without raising the alarm.

EDIT: Now that I have finished the game I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that the biggest mission is #5. I expected the game to end in a really long, difficult mission in a map as big as the bridge one. Instead we get that short Embassy mission.

I'd love to see a mission in a Nazi castle like in that WWII movie "Where Eagles Dare" (or "the eagles nest", or something like that).

Last edited by redscare; 12-21-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Hi all. Just registered on here and wanted to say I absolutely loved this game.
When I first read about Death To Spies, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a developer made a game with such a unique premise (playing as a Soviet spy during/after WWII).

My pleasant surprise turned to joy when I actually bought and played the game: well-executed and smart AI, nice visuals and good variety of objectives all throughout the game.

Well done, Haggard and 1C!
Can't wait to hear about the already mentioned sequel. I believe you guys created a solid foundation on which to build a potenially great game franchise!
Cheers and Happy Holidays.!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscare View Post
I don't agree at all. The game is deadly, and it's OK as it is. Anyway, I've been able to run away from grenades with minor scratches only. But the best way to avoid grenades is avoid raising the alarm in the first place.

Also, all guns have 100% accurary in my experience. The bullet always goes exactly to where your crosshair is in that moment. SMGs too, but those have a bitch of recoil that sends your crosshair sky-high . Just aim for the knees, let a burst go, and you've nailed them with about 6 bullets. I only tried to fight my way out in the "rescue the prisioner" mission. It was difficult but fun. Then I reloaded my saved game and did the mission without raising the alarm.

EDIT: Now that I have finished the game I must say I'm a bit dissapointed that the biggest mission is #5. I expected the game to end in a really long, difficult mission in a map as big as the bridge one. Instead we get that short Embassy mission.

I'd love to see a mission in a Nazi castle like in that WWII movie "Where Eagles Dare" (or "the eagles nest", or something like that).
I don't know man, I just tried picking off a guy with a mosin from a distance of ~25 meters, the crosshair was red and he was running right towards me, I fired 3 shots, none hit him lol! Same with SMGs, its not the recoil that bothers me, but they just don't hit the enemy when the crosshair is red. Maybe theres a bug with the crosshair turning red while still not completely indicating a 100% clear shot. I still the have the english demo so I hope this is fixed in the full game.

I still think however that they should add a function that can allow the player to run fast for a very short period of time. Dodging grenades I find is very difficult.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Schnitzel View Post
Maybe theres a bug with the crosshair turning red while still not completely indicating a 100% clear shot. I still the have the english demo so I hope this is fixed in the full game.
I think you're right with that. You cannot rely on the crosshair changing colors.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

It's a pretty good game though a bit on the buggy side.

I always loved the disguise missions in Medal of Honor. This is like a whole game of it.