Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Approved Member

Lol, still not convinced the Calliope is broke. Saw it again today, it cut loose one full barrage on my dad's Pzr IV E and all it did was take out a track. Its just an even more powerful Anti-Infantry tank then the standard Sherman
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

Yeah the Calliope is fine. Its only really good vs inf and it has shorter range then all other rocket artilleries (only 150m).
Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

I lost 8 infantry squads and a small tank against this thing!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Well then your where blobbing, so its your own fault.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

I personally don't have a problem with the Calliope. Playing against it, I know my opponent used a lot of points to get it, and it just means it's time to make a push and take that mobile tin-can out. Playing as Americans, I skip around it, as it's too costly by other things I can get out by that time.

I fear I have a lot to say on balance issues as well, for the most part on armor. It's starting to get boring to have Russians spawn 2 SMG sections, and then very shortly after followed up by a T-34. This is beginning to get asinine because you don't have any real means of AT that early(I've managed to disable T-34's countless of times by using a Puma up close, but nothing more than that; A mildly intelligent player knows well where to keep it out of reach of inf. AT), If you try to move up a Pak.40, it'll get he bombarded before your get it close enough by the larger number of infantry that can spot it(Because everyone knows the Pak.40 was just a 9MM gun in disguise), and mostly the same story if you try a Panzer III/IV(If you turtle to save up the points to get them). I don't mind the effectiveness of their guns, it's just it's nearly impossible to take the T-34's out early game as they waltz over you, spewing HE rounds as if it were Halloween candy. The Sherman/T34's armor is a little too strong, German 75MM guns have a lot of trouble taking them out in this game, which is pure bullshit. I keep needing to call in a Nashorn to get a lucky shot on it(the gun on this tank is too inaccurate, but boy does it make for a nice explosion when you're lucky enough), then it just gets plinked by a small 45MM and under armored car that's even further out behind that very Sherman/T-34 you just took out! Now you're out too many points - GG.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Approved Member

I dont buy the Calliope either as Americans, mostly b/c I play w/o Artillery but even with I dont buy it. Its Sluggers and 76Ws haha.

As for the Russians not dying and the Pak 40s being junk...my dad has played like 20+ games since 1.17.5 came out and has not been able to blow up anything (Mostly Russian Armor) with anything the Germans have. Also, his stuff gets 1 shotted by everything....no joke. Just last night we were in a Brothers of War mod game 3x3 match and he put 6 AT nades on the back (engine) of some Panther and it didnt do anything at all to it. Then He commenced to roll his T29 down the road, it got hit w/ 1 AT nade on the front Armor and it died. Also, early in that match he had a M18 and a 76W fire point blank into a Pzr III...50mm long barreled one and didnt do anything to it. His tanks commenced to die....Then in the regular 1.17.5 matches he fires 10-15+ panther, Tiger, King Tiger rounds into Russian armor it doenst die or disable, then the Russians fire and Boom, dead. A few days ago I played in a Tank only match like 8v8 or something and there was some Su152 sitting side to me on a hill, my Panther commenced to pop it like 4 times in the side from like 60m or so and it lived. That same panther got detracked on a hill and got into a slugging fest w/ like 4 Russian tanks for like 5 minutes from about 50-60 away and only managed to kill 1 of the Tanks then it died. I even rolled out King Kitty and it got 5 ft from my Deployment some got hit by some SU152 w/ one round and it blew up, turret went one way the tracks and wheels went another....its like dang, Russian Armor is pretty wicked now. The Germans just shoot further, thier guns suck worse now then before...even the King Tiger doesnt blow stuff up and i go mostly for side or close shots
Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

Tank balancing? Why should the tanks even be balanced in a game that simulates war? The reason why people have always invented new weapons is to be better then their competitors. I don't think somebody would want a tank that is just as good as an enemy tank rather then a tank that is better then both. The side with the better and more guns usually wins. Otherwise, WWI would still be at a stalemate.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Approved Member

For myself, I don’t really appreciate the tank battles in MoW: too gamey/arcade for me. The MoW tanks just don’t have enough range for a more realistic tank action. In more realistic games, you would just love Tiger 1: massive range (about 2km), very good fire control and high penetration. Tiger 1 could take out many Shermans or T-34s before they could even get close to it. The MoW Tiger 1 is not even close to its might.

Therefore, in MoW, the task of tanks seems to limited to provide support for the infantry and that’s about it.

I wonder if DMS will make any improvement in that area in AS.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzaD View Post
...Therefore, in MoW, the task of tanks seems to limited to provide support for the infantry and that’s about it....
Thats the main reason tanks were created.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
Tank balancing? Why should the tanks even be balanced in a game that simulates war? The reason why people have always invented new weapons is to be better then their competitors. I don't think somebody would want a tank that is just as good as an enemy tank rather then a tank that is better then both. The side with the better and more guns usually wins. Otherwise, WWI would still be at a stalemate.
I fully agree to this point. But the truth of the matter is, Germany is exactly that innovator you're talking about. Granted they had lower numbers, but they were far better in terms of combat effectiveness. Here in this game, I feel they've implemented this factor(German tanks being more expensive, while allied tanks are cheaper - thus in larger numbers), but they've seriously failed to implement the fact that for their cost/lower numbers, they were far more effective.

It needs to be more realistic is all I'm asking for. Balance is pretty much okay, it's just the tank/AT armor, and armor penetration values of the guns that need a workaround.