Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Thank's Oleg for the pictures. Your latest ones were 5 months ago. If now you keep posting them every week I will start to believe that BOB is for real. I take your word for that.

The picture numbered ........0116 looks very cartoonish in terms of color, contrast etc.
Some effort is needed for the cliffs to be more realistic. In general for landscape I agree with comments that have been already made. You should consider that everybody uses LCD screens and these have the tendency to have more saturated colours (as a visual impact) then plasma or CRT screens.

Airplanes seem perfect. Internal view of the cockpit of the spit is marvellously realistic. There is an immersive feel. On the external side they are beautifully detailed but too perfectly painted. The real ones were never perfectly painted, maybe only at delivery time. They had immediately, dents, scratches and chipped paint, oil and exhaust traces etc. This is true also for trucks, tanks, and in general for all military gear as it was made not to last too long anyway.
I think all objects should show some wear and tear. Hope this will not be neglected.

Last but not least please show us the picture of pilots and soldiers. How do you model humans. In IL2 it was an extremely crude polygonal model with boxed faces etc..
When we are on the ground in the airfields then they will contribute immensely to the immersion factor of a living world.

And if they are even animated (maybe with scripts that could be chosen in the FMB) then you reach for the absolute Flight sim title again.

Keep up the good work and posts.

Gold
Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

Regarding the colors, read Oleg's post please. That's one of the primary areas we're working on right now.

In a next-gen sim like BoB, changing colors everywhere is not very easy. It's not just going into a texture and playing with hue - saturation. There's a complex lighting model in the engine that takes the environment and colors it with the sunlight passing through the atmosphere, which in turn is effected by the weather, time of day, altitude, etc. It's a complex system with lots of variables. To give you a rough example, if you just take the grass texture and make it greener, it may look good at noon from 1000 feet on a clear day, but it'll look horrible at dusk from 10,000 in a fog, etc.

So we're still fine-tuning the in-game lighting, but rest assured most of us own a good pair of eyes, and we're well aware of the direction this needs to go.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Approved Member

The cockpit and the planes are looking very good (that cockpit shot nearly made my jaw dislocate -can't wait to see the thing in motion). Concerning the environment I think it's safe to say "It's just an early Alpha." The first shots of Il-2 I ever saw had little in common with the later product so I guess the same applies here.

BTW Ilya - Did you get the rather lengthy document I wrote a few months back? Oleg asked me to do this ...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post

So we're still fine-tuning the in-game lighting, but rest assured most of us own a good pair of eyes, and we're well aware of the direction this needs to go.

even though I wasn't really worried, that sounds very reassuring. thank you
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150GCT_Veltro View Post
Seriously, what is this? An update about a pre-alpha multiplayer map? I was waiting for Britain not for Jurassic Park.
Can't the developers have ANY fun?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Approved Member

Wink

No, Ilya. Developers are supposed to be solemn and serious and shouldn't even know what laughing is.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Approved Member

Oleg and team: about the radars seens in those lovely screenshots, and regarding that DT is working on it for Il-2, will be functionals and operables in Bob?
That spit over the wood is wonderfull
thanx for the update!

Bombing smurfs since a long time ago...
Old 10-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

These screenshots are fantastic!

Especially the Cockpit shots and the BF110 shot.

But the fresh, green grass, cries out for cows, so where are the cows?

Thank's for the Update! *Big thumbs up*
Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

I liked the text on the aircraft, but the overall paintwork looked too glossy to me, they ought to be somewhat matt. The matt paint on some plastic models probably overdoes the mattness, but the purpose is camouflage, shiny is usually wrong for camouflage.

I didn't like the way the cliffs ended just before sea level, when there is a beach below a cliff often the beach extends quite a long way out to sea at low tide, and the sea washes the cliff face at high tide. Tides around the UK vary from place to place between 1 or 2 metres up to 12 metres difference in water height between high and low tide, and even then, "spring" tides are much higher than neap tides (12 metres is a spring tide, with a neap tide at that place being around 7 metres high ( with the relative low being about 4 metres high (for a difference of about 3 metres))).

I look forward to the release of SoW, I suspect the decision to drop OpenGL is a good one.

Last edited by Igo kyu; 10-23-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Approved Member

Well, I liked the map, anyway...

As Ilya pointed out, developers must have some fun once in a while.

I won't comment on the textures, as it's an Alpha, anyway...

But, holy ****, the Spit and the 110 look AWESOME!

As our bad-humoured friend spoke about Jurassic Park, could you guys model some dinossaurs after the rest is done?