Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinda View Post
Hehe read my editted post above this is in theory. The adress space needs to be adressable. subtract all the hardware which needs to adress the ram. for instance a 1gig graphics card which isnt that uncommon these days.

and the asking for a link or source is about their being a 64bit launcher for cliffs of dover in the works.
I know.
We should ask to luthier about the 64bit exe.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
If the videos we've seen so far are with a 32 bit exe, and we're to get a 64 bit version soon, it should be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinda View Post
Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.
Sorry you've miss-read my post, I'm saying if we are to get a 64 bit version soon.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 AM
kalimba

I am no expert, but it is easy to imagine that a 50 plane battle over London at full detail will be impossible to acheive , even with top notch gear and super-optimized code, if SLI/XFire, multicore/ multithreading and 64 bit system are NOT eventually available...
And remember those "hidden" features such as "dynamic weather and super clouds" and many other "surprises" that Oleg told us about would totally cripple any system, even in few years from now, without the "SLI/XFire, multicore/ multithreading and 64 bit system"... This game is to big and complex not to include those features that are the only means of future proofing any game for the next 10 years...
But who knows ? Maybe 1C got it all wrong...

Salute !
Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
That doesn't make any sense though, when the game was performing badly at the Russian show they said it was because by some mistake they had got PC's with 2Gb of ram installed not the 4GB. I'm confused now
2GB total! not just 2GB for the game, 4GB= 1GB for OS and 2.6 for game
EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
64 GB SSD SATA II HD
WIN7 UL 64BIT
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Approved Member

Just a quick word about Win, and the difference between systems.

WinXP is not able to run DX10, DX11, Win 7 is.
Win 7 has a way better load balancing and memory addressing behavior.
Though it doesn't matter whether you use Win7 x32 or Win7 x64, you will be able to use DX10/11 with both.
x64 however will result in better performance as long as there's no x86 garbage in the command set. x64 menas that the CPU can work 64 bits (8 bytes) in one cycle, instead of 32 bits (4 byte) that a x86 system can handle.

Unfortunately, IL-2 CLOD is an x86 exe, which means that the added processing speed will not be used. However, you get other things like memory management, and everything that runs in the background worked in x64 mode, which should in fact result in slightly better performance.
To really make a difference, we would need a x64 executable, though. However, to provide that, the devs would have to change memory management and many mathematical helper functions, which i assume are quite a lot.

And another thing:
In an x64 system, all address values are double the size (64 bit instead of 32 bit), which leads to a slightly higher memory consumption. So if you are just using 2 Gigs of RAM, don't use x64.

Last edited by Wurschtie; 03-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.