Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Welcome to reality.

See any hardline shadows on a sunny day? Do you see the reflections and glare on the glass?

There are plenty of easily created and modeled lighting effects in standard graphics APIs that have nothing to do with modelling photons or ray tracing.
Hrm, hard to say what all I see on the back of the guy's head. I definetly see reflections all over the place, and if you call that a sunny day I'd hate to know what you call cloudy!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Approved Member

Tanner, let's assume there is no reflection in the canopy even at the highest settings. Can you think of a better way to mention that than "There is every indication that those stunning cockpits are ridiculously inaccurate with respect to lighting"?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Not when the Original Poster is hawking the "stunning cockpits" as some exemplar of the technical prowess of the game and of Maddox Games, or as a reason of have faith in the product.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I can't say I know what shadows look like inside a fighter cockpit. The video you linked really didn't provide conclusive evidence one way or the other, and for all we know at higher settings than the OP's video there are reflections on the canopy. We certainly see light reflections on it in a few of the videos scattered on the forums. I can see where you might be concerned, but I have not seen any evidence that supports your claims about the in cockpit shadows being wrong, and even if they aren't 100% accurate I don't see how you can declare the visuals in the cockpit as anything less than stunning.

Last edited by Kikuchiyo; 03-29-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Rereading and corrections for accuracy
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Welcome to reality.

See any hardline shadows on a sunny day? Do you see the reflections and glare on the glass?

There are plenty of easily created and modeled lighting effects in standard graphics APIs that have nothing to do with modelling photons or ray tracing.
Holy Crap Tanner ! Whiner much? Your complaint is the most anal of all the posts I've seen on any site about this game . Please don't buy it , Oleg doesn't need your business ...

Last edited by pencon; 03-29-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: because
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Sternjaeger

Tanner, I fly in real life and you do get "hardline" shadows in the cockpit. The intensity is all down to the quantity of sunlight coming down at you..

You don't even need to be in a plane for that, you can see that in your car: go out at sunset on a roundabout and have some turns around it to see what I mean
Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

"2. There is every indication that those stunning cockpits are ridiculously inaccurate with respect to lighting. Glass is not perfectly transparent. Those sharp shadows are indicative of something more like the absence of glass especially glass the thickness of which was found on these planes. Glass reflects, refracts and retransmits light. There is nothing of those essential qualities of light and of glass in these "stunning" cockpits."

Tanner you definitely take the cookie for anal retentiveness, I made a comment in another post about professional whiners like you, I mentioned that even if God himself created this game and it was perfect beyond belief, people like you would still find something to criticise, you can't help yourself

Congratulations though because now you have some purpose in your life, you will be able to sit on the sidelines and constantly snipe in the forums over every little thing to do with this game

Just saying.........

Last edited by 123-Wulf-123; 03-29-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

uber turd
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Not when the Original Poster is hawking the "stunning cockpits" as some exemplar of the technical prowess of the game and of Maddox Games, or as a reason of have faith in the product.
Do you know of any WW2 sims with better cockpit graphics than in this game?

Sadly, I suspect you'd complain even if you got your hands on a real Spit.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
Do you know of any WW2 sims with better cockpit graphics than in this game?

Sadly, I suspect you'd complain even if you got your hands on a real Spit.
Strop trolling, contribute something to the discussion or contest a point instead of making these snarky jabs at people (and I stand by this no matter who is being criticised, even if I disagree with them).
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

Helicon, as soon as you get moderator status I'll start to take you seriously.