Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatts View Post
Actually HOMM V 3.1 (Tribes of the EAST - ToE) is all in one pack - it contains the self-sufficient original + 1st datadisk (dwarves) and second datadisk (ToE) - I think its called alone standing - and it is really cheap nowdays, so don't be confused by some "special editions" where you can get some "silver" toys (unless you really wants these toys).

Alos HOMM V 3.1 ToE has many MOD's so you can be sure the fun is 120% of the thrice patched bug-less original (3.1).

Homm V is best online - another reason buying it. (You should be prepared that the scenario becomes very hard very soon, even if playing easy diff -> this is because the maps contain many "traps" and quick save/load will be a must - but as it has map generator and really cool map editor and many many maps for download from fans - hundreds hours of fun goes for sure...

For anyone who has to decide between HOMM V or KB - choose KB (or even better, wait for armored pricness - it will support 3-D googles)
Thanks for that info, Gatts. I just went out and got a copy of Tribes of the East cheaply, so I am about to play HOMM for the first time. When I load it up it says its version 3.0. So I need a patch that lets me play the original game + first expansion, correct?

EDIT: Okay I am downloading the 3.1 patch (120 mb) but where can I find this mod for the original campaigns? Is it going to be a massive download? Do I need to bother with the original campaign at all or can I dive straight into ToE?

Sorry for the off-topic, mods. We could use an off topic forum to discuss similar games etc.

Last edited by Zhuangzi; 11-22-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Approved Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You obviously have very strong feelings concerning the games you like and it doesn't really matter what anyone says.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
You mean this game is not as easy as KB:L is because ai is not that dump? I agree.
Talking that homm3 do not involve strategy combat is... lol?
No offense but i beat both homm 3 and disciples 2 on highest possible difficult mode so well i know what i am talking about .
So did i and it doesnt make either opinion more credible. Disciples was a joke (difficulty wise not fun wise ) and first time i touched HoMM3 after a couple years again i remembered what i didnt like. All the boring cleaning of huge Maps and the fact that low level units quickly become obsolete. I actually think that HoMM 2 was a better game than 3 as far as balance was concerned.

And after all this is Kings Bounty the Legend not HoMM(3) the Legend. So your comparison doesnt make much sense. Both are good games and i enjoyed KB like no game in a couple years. And honestly no HoMM game had an impressive AI either. And noone asks you to pick just one game. You can actually have both on your Harddrive and play them
Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Approved Member

This is another 'The older is better than the newer game' thread, well sometimes that is true but not always, take Diablo 1 and 2, Titan Quest beats them both hands down 100% easy, in fact seeing screens of Diablo 3 make me think Titan Quest still looks better and would play better too possibly.
I like King's Bounty, but then again developers can't please everyone.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

First some very general statements. Usually we don't really know why do we like a game. I can say (suppose) why HOMM V is bad: small number of castles killed the strategy and new battle mechanics killed tactics. But I can not say why HOMM IV is bad. It has many improvements which are very nice by itself. A fraction system, magic system, hero promotion system, battle system in particular were very nice with few minor faults. But overall gameplay was much worse then in HOMM III. I don't really know why.

Second, my position towards Disciples 2: I strongly appreciate its style-atmosphere-art and storyline, but the gameplay for me was slightly too boring. I did not finish expansion campaigns.

Then about KB:L. It has lesser potential and replayability then HOMM III mainly because of absense of random generated games and limited modding possibilities. It's too early to compare campaigns as KB:L expansions are to be made. But the battle system is better then in HOMM III. How do I mark it: a hardcore player have longer way to perfection. Many may have a pleasure of playing but few can make something like "no losses on impossible". So you are always have a way to become better tactician and strategist. It was not so realy in HOMM III IMHO - the cap of perfection was much lower.

And I really like the the concept of rune-sphere system of hero promotions (as well as its concrete implementation). I think it is the first system of that kind in gaming but I know analogies in the area of sensorics. That is what really can provide flexibility and specificity in the same time - that means great variaty of viable pathways and good adaptation mechanism.

It is hard to compare tactics in KB-HOMM with XCOM-Jagged Alliance. The latter have much bigger and diverse arenas while the former have developed magic system and those make different kinds of tactical systems. Now I don't see the way to combine it successfully. Maybe AD&D gives something intermediate.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

@Zhuangzi

About JA3, I read some rumours on a gaming site, and GameSpot has it listed for Q4 2008...But mostly it was just a flippant comment.

As for the HoMM V campaigns: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php

Have fun!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

First i knew it will end this way with someone posting "go back to homm". Blah i will n/c his iq.
Remind how it started because someone posted that kb has different battle mode that homm so i just clear it that is untrue, now when we know it we can go back to topic?
KB:L give me feeling of low budged game, they just copy-paste nearly everything and want money for it?

Quote:
So did i and it doesnt make either opinion more credible. Disciples was a joke (difficulty wise not fun wise ) and first time i touched HoMM3 after a couple years again i remembered what i didnt like. All the boring cleaning of huge Maps and the fact that low level units quickly become obsolete. I actually think that HoMM 2 was a better game than 3 as far as balance was concerned.

And after all this is Kings Bounty the Legend not HoMM(3) the Legend. So your comparison doesnt make much sense. Both are good games and i enjoyed KB like no game in a couple years. And honestly no HoMM game had an impressive AI either. And noone asks you to pick just one game. You can actually have both on your Harddrive and play them
And i have both on my hard drive . As i stated above this topic is about what you dislike in kb:l. Leave homm3 alone, its for TBS what Starcraft is for RTS, 10y and no one can beat it.

About d2 ai i know it was easy because of flaws in ai design on adventure mode but ai in battle mode even when fight there maybe looks simple (it's fake expression) ai is still 10x better that this in kb. . Campaign was easy but if you play skirmish with no save, no load rule it was even interesting .

Ok guys let's end this Off Topic.

Last edited by Smash; 11-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I don't see KB as a strategy game but as a tactical (battle) game. My opinion is not (negative) critic, I like this game (IMHO best in HoMM is II).

Just my 2 cents...

Wenla
Old 11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

I don't agree with most of these criticisms, HOWEVER, the talent tree is sort of a waste of time. THe mage tree is the only one that has any game changing abilities.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metathron View Post
@Zhuangzi

About JA3, I read some rumours on a gaming site, and GameSpot has it listed for Q4 2008...But mostly it was just a flippant comment.

As for the HoMM V campaigns: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php

Have fun!
Thanks very much for that. I paid Aus $25 for Tribes of the East (which is 1/4 what games cost when they come out here), and now with the mod I have three whole campaigns to play.

So far it seems like a cross between Disciples 2 and KB:TL. Graphics are far inferior to KB:TL though. Combat seems less interesting, but I can see that there will be some castle and resource management in the manner of Disciples 2. I still think KB:TL is the better game (so far) but this will keep me busy for a while. I will be on the lookout for the HOMM 3/4 Complete DVD too. So cheers to those who helped.