Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Approved Member

Sometimes if someone is following you the option to run is gone. They might be faster or already be in firing range when you notice them. If you can not run then it is time to burn up some of your energy turning to evade those cannon shells.

In that situation I would think about trying to trick my pursuer into flying past me into my gun-sight, or I would keep dodging his shots until he might lose his patience and come down to or below my energy level, it happens all the time.

Using energy to fight might not mean that you have the advantage or are using your great energy to attack, but you might be using your opponents energy advantage against him by being able to turn sharper than them, by not blacking out as easily, exceeding your G limit as easily or by knowing they may be overconfident and careless.

An advantage is a very nice thing to have in your hand, but it is easy to lose or have it taken from you unless you practice and know exactly what it can do for you.

S!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

If you don't let yourself get slow and low then you still have the option to avoid in 3 dimensions instead of just the most draggy horizontal plane.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

REALLY low and slow can be an art though, especially if there is interesting terrain involved. Many IL2 pilots are not good at flying really low and I have seen quite a few end up hitting the ground while they were trying to make passes on a low target.

Of course really low but at a medium to fast speed might offer more.....
Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

It's okay if you've got help coming or friendly AA not far to get to. Been there, done that.
Ever had bombs dropped in front of you because you were so low?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGunz View Post
Ever had bombs dropped in front of you because you were so low?
If I was not the first one to purposely take a pursuer out with a bomb drop I was probably one of the first.

I know I did it on Aviar's dogfight server ten or more years ago. Before mods broke up the community and many servers had large populations it was a regular thing to see as the idea was passed along with everything else. Recent changes to bomb models have made it different but it can still be done.

More than anything I have probably taken myself out with bombs by forgetting to set a delay........
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

First time I remember low flying planes getting bomb-blasted was early 1998 in RB3.