Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
The thing I find with BOB WOV is its harder to setup your joystick to make the Hurricane as solid a gun platform as it really was. That said the DM in BOB WOV has some of the same problems as the IL-2 damage model. You can do significant damage to an enemy and still have a hard time catching him to finish him off. Although I know Buddye has been tweaking the DM to slow down the damaged aircraft in WOV.
Buddye works his bumm off, and he definitely is an anchor for the BOB II. The AI performance is friggin' world class awesome. Now, if I could knock some planes down... LOL
Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Hurricanes with cannons... that'll do it. LOL
Nothing to laugh at.
There were Hurricanes with cannons during BoB.

Quote:
I think you've done right thing with console game. Console players like a lot of high quality graphics, fast action, explosions and lots of victories.
I think, you completely missing the point.
In BoB there WERE hundreds of planes in the air. Try reading historical books or whatever.
Noone promises you a lot of victories, if you'll play in 'simulation' mode.
Damage Model in our game makes plane easir to strike down, that's true.
But that affects ALL planes - and your plane as well. Fair play.
It is easier to get killed, if you are not afraid of combat. Like it really was in WW2.

Quote:
I hope you do well with BOP. It certainly won't hurt to have renewed interest in WW2 Combat flight simulation. Personally, I've got a $4,000+ PC, a $1,000+ in Controllers and have absolutely no thoughts of going to console games. I'm an adult, so sitting in front of TV with bowl of chips and a Monster drink and pushing buttons at light speed is not how I see myself.
PS3 allows to use peripheral.
You know, consoles are cheaper than same PC.
That's because of:
* Sony PAYS for it. You are paying for PC, at least 30% margin (or more). Sony PAYS from it's own pocket for each unit. To make it cheaper for you.
* There MILLIONS of same hardware. Much more than any videocard for PC. Mass production makes things cheaper, you know.
* Consoles are DESIGNED for games, in hardware.
* There is no Windows running on it, taking 30% of CPU and memory.
* There is only one hardware, so you can optimize the game for it much better.

So I think, your 4000$ PC is actually XX% worse, than 499$ PS3. I know it is painful .

Last edited by Anton Yudintsev; 08-28-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
The thing I find with BOB WOV is its harder to setup your joystick to make the Hurricane as solid a gun platform as it really was. That said the DM in BOB WOV has some of the same problems as the IL-2 damage model. You can do significant damage to an enemy and still have a hard time catching him to finish him off. Although I know Buddye has been tweaking the DM to slow down the damaged aircraft in WOV.

I had the same problem with my joystick and "BoB WOV"...I could never get it "set up right". I never felt "connected" to the aeroplane. Aeroplane response would always "lag" or it would be "twitchy"...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Approved Member

the bottom line, Anton, is that no RAF fighter should be able to shred wings off of any plane with a half second burst of .303 fire... it just didnt happen... EVER. the .303 had no EXPLOSIVE power like that of a cannon shell.

the ONLY way to break enemy planes appart with the .303 was to hit an ammo hold or explode a fuel tank...

also why did they choose to go with the x12 MG hurri and not the much more common 8... are we flying the MkII hurri or the mkI?

also the "mkIX" in one of the vids need to be reworked... the engine section of the fuselage isnt long enough... right now its the same length as the mkI, with just the mkIX exhaust ports. the front windshield is also wrong on the MkIX the armor glass was moved to the inside of the cannopy after the mkV was produced.

lastly the 109E in the vids has the wrong armament, it should have 2 mgs firing from the top of the engine. the vid shows a single cannon firing through the spinner which is obviously incorrect for that variant.

it seems like the production team is just mix and matching types of planes together which is really disappointing.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
Nothing to laugh at.
There were Hurricanes with cannons during BoB.

I think, you completely missing the point.
In BoB there WERE hundreds of planes in the air. Try reading historical books or whatever.
Noone promises you a lot of victories, if you'll play in 'simulation' mode.
Damage Model in our game makes plane easir to strike down, that's true.
But that affects ALL planes - and your plane as well. Fair play.
It is easier to get killed, if you are not afraid of combat. Like it really was in WW2.

PS3 allows to use peripheral.
You know, consoles are cheaper than same PC.
That's because of:
* Sony PAYS for it. You are paying for PC, at least 30% margin (or more). Sony PAYS from it's own pocket for each unit. To make it cheaper for you.
* There MILLIONS of same hardware. Much more than any videocard for PC. Mass production makes things cheaper, you know.
* Consoles are DESIGNED for games, in hardware.
* There is no Windows running on it, taking 30% of CPU and memory.
* There is only one hardware, so you can optimize the game for it much better.

So I think, your 4000$ PC is actually XX% worse, than 499$ PS3. I know it is painful .
As you like it.

I use my PC for a myriad of things, not just playing games. I only do Combat flight Simulator type game BOB II WOV, IL2, but even then not more than a few hours a week.

I do all kinds of other things with my computer, which are a great deal more important to me than playing a game. So... for me a console to play games in front of my TV is very specialized and would be a waste of money for me.

My computer choice is great....feeling no pain.

Good luck

Last edited by nearmiss; 08-28-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Approved Member

PC is for work, not for gaming.
That was exactly my point.
So it's price shows nothing about it's ability to play games in better (lower) quality.
PC will evolute, and consoles won't (for next 4 years).
But today's 4k PC will become old trash after 4 years as well.
Moreover, console will play all games in the same FPS and without driver errors or whatever even after 10 years.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
it seems like the production team is just mix and matching types of planes together which is really disappointing.
It seems to me, that you are one of those guys, who knows everything better.

We are using a lot of materials, and historical consultants as well, paying them money, and you are measuring fueselage length in trailer.

I really don't want to continue that discussion.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Approved Member

This is just looking awesome. I'm going to buy a PS3. I'm not going to buy a PS3. I'm going to buy a PS3, I'm not...............
Old 08-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
PC is for work, not for gaming.
That was exactly my point.
So it's price shows nothing about it's ability to play games in better (lower) quality.
PC will evolute, and consoles won't (for next 4 years).
But today's 4k PC will become old trash after 4 years as well.
Moreover, console will play all games in the same FPS and without driver errors or whatever even after 10 years.
So will the console, and the games date just as fast for consoles. Since kids don't have alot of money the games and consoles to have potential for longer lifespan. A kid may not be able to afford the latest and greatest console and games, so they buy one that is a little older and play with it.

Then there are the kids that constantly rag on their parents for a new updated console. The parents reluctantly jump into that, knowing full well an arsenal of games will have to be bought to keep junior happy.

Regardless, I don't think there is a meeting ground for the PC/Console until the console allows for elaborate interface connections, i.e, as a PC. I don't think that would be a bad thing overall. Afterall, whenever I change between the BOB II and IL2 I have to reconfigure abunch of things to get either game to work correctly. I don't play either on the Vista, so I have a dual boot to XP. Yeah, it's a pain in the wazoo. It's would be great to just pop in a disk, and everything worked properly.
That would require standardization of many things to work, and from what I see... Sony, Nintendo, Xbox are not going to yield up anything to outside vendors. The have fewer problems when they have control of the whole console and it's interface products.

Last edited by nearmiss; 08-28-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
It seems to me, that you are one of those guys, who knows everything better.

We are using a lot of materials, and historical consultants as well, paying them money, and you are measuring fueselage length in trailer.

I really don't want to continue that discussion.
Might want to pay them a bit better then...there are some obvious inaccuracies I've seen so far. If this is to be an authentic experience then the details better be right. Doesn't have to be rivet for rivet...but the look of the planes and the armament better be right. Or the right types better be used.

If the time period is supposed to be Battle of Britain then the most obvious types should be Spitfire Mark I and Hurricane Mark I. The Mark I.b was a rare type that failed in the front line role. The early Hispano cannons it was fitted with jammed after only a few seconds of firing at best. Only a couple of squadrons flew them and while they appreciated the hitting power...hated the fact that the cannons jammed and wanted their old Mark Is back. So for a rare type...its showing up surprisingly allot in the trailers. Looks beautiful...but if its going to be accurate...if thats your audience....then it should be accurate.

Last edited by IceFire; 08-29-2008 at 12:37 AM.