Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Lewis View Post
Artist..That sounds pretty much what I was trying to achieve.....although being the novice I am I have no idea how to implement what you have described in the script...Where does it go?....How do I put this into the game so that I see it in the controls?....
Well, an answer would turn this thread into an autohotkey tutorial, so I'll try to keep this really short: AutoHotkey_L (which I am using) is a program you must download (here) and install. After that you run AutoHotkey-scripts (double-click on a .ahk file) and AutoHotkey will bend and transform keystrokes as defined in the script you run (e.g. transforming a single Shift+1 into a sequence of keystrokes and mouse movements). So it's outside of CloD and just manipulates the input CloD is getting.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Approved Member

Ok, I've been following this with great interest but I'm a little confused. I have a 19inch monitor (LCD) and I sit approx 1m from the screen. What FOV should I use to render the world 'real' as in what I would see if I was sitting in a spitfire in real life?

I simply want to see the world as a real spitfire pilot would see it....so which FOV should I use?

Excuse my ignorance but it would be great if the intelligent guys here could help me achieve this.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFeckit View Post
I simply want to see the world as a real spitfire pilot would see it....so which FOV should I use?
You'd have to find someone who would let you fly in his real spitfire for that - in other words (assuming you've got no pilot license and a close friend entrusting his Spit to you): impossible ...

... if you do not plan (and be able to finance, build, tackle) a 360° (vertical and horizontal) translucent plexiglas dome with a battery of beamers - and even then it's not the same.

The used FOV is a matter of compromise of realism and feasibility: A 19" rectangle (your monitor) at 1m distance would show (in real life) little more than the sight (try with 20°-30°). That does not make sense at all. The pilot could see the temperature gauges in the lower right corner with a flick of his eyes (not moving the head at all), we - with Freetrack or TrackIR on a 27" monitor - have to move the head.

Go with what you are comfortable with to be able to control the plane, find the enemy, and hit him.

Artist

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for your reply Artist. I feel I should have been more specific. I would like to see the outside world, I.e. the world outside the cockpit, to a correct scale as if I was sitting in a spitfire. For example, if a 109 is 200m away in front of my cockpit then I would like to see that 109 rendered to scale such that it woke look the same size as if I was actually sitting in a spit in real life.

I'm at a loss to explain myself more clearly.

Thanks in advance for any light you or anyone else could shed.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFeckit View Post
Ok, I've been following this with great interest but I'm a little confused. I have a 19inch monitor (LCD) and I sit approx 1m from the screen. What FOV should I use to render the world 'real' as in what I would see if I was sitting in a spitfire in real life?

Excuse my ignorance but it would be great if the intelligent guys here could help me achieve this.
30 degrees is about the correct setting for what you ask there, but... that setting means though you would be flying in a "tunnel vision". CoD has outside view set to 30 degrees and is for obtaining real life type snapshots (screen shots) as you would with a real world camera.

Phat, you won't get an accurate 180 degree field of view on any size flat screen monitor, because the sreen is just that - flat. The screen would need to be curved and perhaps wrap around the viewer, as well, the game/ sim would need to be coded for that, to be free of edge distortion and depth distortion.

Ideally... an almost perfect set up (current technology) I feel, would be that of using several monitors (say 3 for instance) utilising a 90 degree FoV but instead of just setting the FoV for that to 90 degrees (and still suffering the associated distortions) each monitor would be set to use a 30 degree FoV on each. This however, would have to be coded from within the game/sim itself, a minimum size of monitor would also be required and three VGA...

Also to keep in mind, having a "screen" too big with the user sitting too close may cause dizzyness (due to the viewer's real peripheral vision being interfered with) and or eye strain and headaches. An arm's length and bit is a good distance to sit from the monitor, as this also allows a little bit of leaning forward, when coming up to take the shot, with no adverse viewer health risk (dizzyness, eyestrain, headaches)
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 07-27-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
30 degrees is about the correct setting for what you ask there, but... that setting means though you would be flying in a "tunnel vision". CoD has outside view set to 30 degrees and is for obtaining real life type snapshots (screen shots) as you would with a real world camera.

Phat, you won't get an accurate 180 degree field of view on any size flat screen monitor, because the sreen is just that - flat. The screen would need to be curved and perhaps wrap around the viewer, as well, the game/ sim would need to be coded for that, to be free of edge distortion and depth distortion.

Ideally... an almost perfect set up (current technology) I feel, would be that of using several monitors (say 3 for instance) utilising a 90 degree FoV but instead of just setting the FoV for that to 90 degrees (and still suffering the associated distortions) each monitor would be set to use a 30 degree FoV on each. This however, would have to be coded from within the game/sim itself, a minimum size of monitor would also be required and three VGA...

Also to keep in mind, having a "screen" too big with the user sitting too close may cause dizzyness (due to the viewer's real peripheral vision being interfered with) and or eye strain and headaches. An arm's length and bit is a good distance to sit from the monitor, as this also allows a little bit of leaning forward, when coming up to take the shot, with no adverse viewer health risk (dizzyness, eyestrain, headaches)
Wolf If you have a look at what I was proposing in another thread here, it was a about a curved rear projection system for that exact reason! So we are in complete agreement!
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=32985
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

I hadn't seen that threads/ posts Phat, thanks for link and insights
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

I remember seeing somewhere a thread about projecting a 3D image on a plexiglas half a semisphere support standing around player's head.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
I remember seeing somewhere a thread about projecting a 3D image on a plexiglas half a semisphere support standing around player's head.
Give a try to TrackNoir, free face trackir with your webcam. I use a laptop and once you set up the curves well...it really works nicely.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Approved Member

S!

Finnish Virtual Pilots Association built 2x 109(G2 and G6) simulators for 2 Finnish aviation museums. They use IL-2 1946 and the 3 back projected renders to bring 270 degree FOV

It was quite awesome to test it out, but it wouldn't do for an online flyer as you have no rear view. And with a HW cockpit it wouldn't be proper to turn the views

Pics:
http://www.k-silmailumuseo.fi/mersusimu

Note the non-real-like Revi in the first pic, it has been now replaced with a properly working one, as in, points to one point independent of ones head movement.

And from cockpit:
http://www.fsnordic.net/discussion/i...topic=101069.0

But more on topic: I really wish the devs would give us changeable FOVs for the 3 predetermined options. With a 30" monitor the 90 degree FOV is a bit tunnelish, and I use 120 degree FOV in old IL-2 with San's FOV changer.

I'll give Luffe's trick a try and see if it works for me.
AMD 1055T Hexacore@3,4GHz - 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - ATI 6950 2GB, flashed to 6970 shaders - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - 30" LG W3000H (2560x1600) - TM Warthog Stick + Cougar Throttle - wooden DIY pedals with Hall sensor - FreeTrack