Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Approved Member

Hmm, this sort of thing explains why Ubi are half a billion Euros of turnover away from making a profit.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Approved Member

UBI see the future of gaming as XBox fanboy 13 year olds and bored 30 year old cougar mums playing farmtown while chatting on facebox.

Forget UBI, they are useless.

Instead ... every one of us that can write and take a screenshot should immediately upon getting a hold of CoD write a honest review of it and submit it to as many game sites in their own country/region as they can.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Well, now that I have found out about the requirement to have a Steam account to play the game, it's all moot anyway.

I won't be buying it.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Well, now that I have found out about the requirement to have a Steam account to play the game, it's all moot anyway.

I won't be buying it.

Why not wait before jumping to conclusions. Wait until release, if the info stands and it's still not to your liking you can rant and rave all you want, but that's not going to change the outcome. Nobody put a gun to your head to pre-order. It's actually a stupid thing to do with any video game from a smart consumer standpoint. Unless you don't mind the risks associated with being disappointed, maybe you should hold off until actual users start reviewing and depicting their experience with the game.

These I"M NOT BUYING IT BECAUSE OF THIS posts are the equivalent of a 3 year old temper tantrum...no offense.

Last edited by Defender; 03-07-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post

Why not wait before jumping to conclusions. Wait until release, if the info stands and it's still not to your liking you can rant and rave all you want, but that's not going to change the outcome. Nobody put a gun to your head to pre-order. It's actually a stupid thing to do with any video game from a smart consumer standpoint. Unless you don't mind the risks associated with being disappointed, maybe you should hold off until actual users start reviewing and depicting their experience with the game.

These I"M NOT BUYING IT BECAUSE OF THIS posts are the equivalent of a 3 year old temper tantrum...no offense.
well sometimes true

It really depends if you are saying it for dramatic effect or just actually stating how it is.

In actual fact if the boxed edition requires steam I couldn't be bothered either. That's not some idle threat to impress people on the boards its just the truth.

As an example with D&D 4th edition I made the decision not to get invovled quite early and have never seen any reason to revise it. At the time I was heavily involved with the Wizards official campaigns had written a number the of official published modules published for Living Greyhawk so a lot of people accused me of throwing a tantrum and claimed I would give in eventually.

In actual fact I was just stating a fact, the new 4th edition D&D (which is kinda based on PC games and WoW rather than traditional RP games) was designed to get a constant turnover of young teens with moneyed parents interested. They would would buy all the books and then 6 months later move on to some other interest making Hasbro/Wizards much money but destroying it as a viable long-term gaming system.

I see UBI's attitude as very similar, a viable long term player community is not important to them, the only concern is short term cashflow and sales.

So be it
Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Approved Member

It really does amaze me the number of people I would have thought were interested in CoD but who cannot countenance Steam. It's a pity. Oh well, things will always change, and at some point in our lives, we become resistant to change per se, and then we die. It has always been such and it always will be as such.

Farewell to those of you who cannot come along for the ride.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
It really does amaze me the number of people I would have thought were interested in CoD but who cannot countenance Steam. It's a pity. Oh well, things will always change, and at some point in our lives, we become resistant to change per se, and then we die. It has always been such and it always will be as such.

Farewell to those of you who cannot come along for the ride.
I think the whole point is that UBi see the big money being in 15 year old online gamer fanbois who already have every 1st person shooter in existence and already have steam.

What the community will lose out of this is the long term people with a vast historical background who are not gamers .. and what it will acquire is more online "Halo/Quake with wings" gamer types.

To be honest UBI will probably make WAY more money this way and is very unlikely to care about the occasional person that mainly plays offline and does not have or want steam.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Approved Member

Actually, it's been suggested that 1C may be a force behind the requirement for Steam, but we don't know if there's any truth in that.

This Steam business is a little offtopic to the original thread title, or to your points. Nevertheless - as you've probably gathered - I think Steam is great. Kids that are into Halo have their consoles. As for mums that play farmville; well, I doubt they use Steam - is it something to do with this cougar expression? I'm not quite clear on how that comes into it.

At any rate, Steam is a godsend for gamers that like even playing fields and convenience, and also for developers who can circumnavigate piracy and reach greater audiences. If they choose to publish directly on it, they make a greater profit than they would going with conventional routes. Clearly, though, 1C are taking both journeys. I guess they've weighed it up and know what they are doing.

Anyways, I'd like our community to come with us, but recognise that change will always leave some at the wayside. Such is life.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post

I won't be buying it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. . . . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

AHAHAAAAAHHhhhahahahahahahaaaaaa. . . .

Yah Right! You'll be buying it day one! If you are serious about not buying it then there is no reason for you to keep posting on these forums. . . Right?

Don't be silly, you're not fooling anyone.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Approved Member

im very certain that if you want to play the singleplayer campaign of CoD im pretty sure you wont have to be logged onto steam...

Steam is just there for MP purposes... and for installation verification...

bottom line steam is just a software program that (can if you wish to) store your games in a library. and allow you to download tons of games directly to your HD.

its incredibly harmless...

you guys will buy the game an enjoy it when u realize how simple and non-invasive it all is going to be...

im glad they are getting steam involved... it will be much more organized and reliable instead of the ubi server crap. Plus its a great platform to show the game off to a much larger group of customers... and that will help Maddox Games in revenue.

and after all, dont we as a community want to have the fan-base grow... not be this cult-hit-of-a-flight sim?