Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lololopoulos View Post
ok I understand why u would need to keep the revs at bay using prop pitch during a Sturzflug (as the official manual put it, lol), but as of now I really don't see how it can benefit level and turning flying, or even climbing. I've heard some more experience pilots say that if u can manage the prop pitch well, it's like being able to drive a manuel car, and in combat u can really gain an edge.
is that really true?
do yourself a favour and pick the 109.
Set the throttle to 1,1 ATA and set the pitch to 11:00. It is as you would fly a plane with a fixed propeller !

Fly level, climb, dive. And watch the changes of the rpm gauge ! the rpm are changing.
To keep the rpm in at the wanted setting, you have to change the propellerblade angle - called the pitch in game.

The Spitifre II, Hurricane 'Rotol' , Ju87 (as examples),are different. They have a ConstantSpeedPropeller, where an automatic is TRYING to keep the desired rpm constant by changing the propeller blades automaticly - this system is the governor !
Ju88, He111, G.50 and Br.20 have also CSP (even when the Ju88A-1 should have historical also a manual pitch propleer like the 109...)

In a 109 and 110, the Pilot himself has to be the governor

Hurricane DH, Spit I&Ia and Blenheim has a propeller with only two fixed settings - in general one (the coarse one, compare it to the 109's at 10:00) for level flying and the other one (the fine one, compare it to the 109's at 12:00) for start and combat . With the fine one you have to be very carefull with the throttle not to overrev the engine ! The coarse one does also not work very good (at least in my Blenheim experience) , because with it it is difficult to mantain the needed engine temperature.....

Last edited by JG53Frankyboy; 07-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
2. What does the hand pump do?
In th Bf109 and Ju87 the hand pump gives you some extra fuel injections to start the engine in colder conditions (minus degrees) like in the winter. At normal conditions it doesnt give you anything right now.

Best, Allons!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Well I know I have found myself very slow sometimes because I am nursing the engine too much, and keeping revs/ATA too low.
Its certainly not 'il2 point and go at 110%' anymore!
True it certainly isn't but after you get over the initial learning curve i find it to be quite similar.

A tip from a magazine on a 109 E flight.

To ensure you don't overdo the rpm on take off set the pitch to 11:30. I now fly like most of the time.

I set the throttle to 90% and now my I use the pitch to keep the rpm around the red arrow... My problem only comes when I spot an aircraft below me and dive its very hard to keep an eye on the pitch enemy and rpm and I normally end up either losing sight of the contact, ignoring my wildly high rpm until I start to shake to bits or forget to stop turning the pitch down which end up in losing all energy as you start your climb back up. All of three of these mistakes usually end in a disaster, but i am getting better and I see this as a huge increase in gameplay over 1946 as its much harder to boom and zoom now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
True it certainly isn't but after you get over the initial learning curve i find it to be quite similar.

A tip from a magazine on a 109 E flight.

To ensure you don't overdo the rpm on take off set the pitch to 11:30. I now fly like most of the time.

I set the throttle to 90% and now my I use the pitch to keep the rpm around the red arrow... My problem only comes when I spot an aircraft below me and dive its very hard to keep an eye on the pitch enemy and rpm and I normally end up either losing sight of the contact, ignoring my wildly high rpm until I start to shake to bits or forget to stop turning the pitch down which end up in losing all energy as you start your climb back up. All of three of these mistakes usually end in a disaster, but i am getting better and I see this as a huge increase in gameplay over 1946 as its much harder to boom and zoom now
I switched from a throttle lever to one of my hat switches to control the 109 pp that way I can have it the right way (Spits and Hurris are still mapped to my throttle) and it stops on release, I just try and match the rpm, reducing pp to keep the rpm's out of the red, I found before I was using the hat switch I would set it for dive and then forget to centre it I would pull out in full course, totally screwed for the climb out, but when you get it right it works well.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Approved Member

Pretty easy to judge just by the sound?...or at least i see to be able to do that for the most part..

You can go way over the red mark on yer RPM's btw just don't leave it there too long..

If your BnZ'n and your trying to keep it inside the limit (red mark) then no wonder your having a hard time
Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger27 View Post
I switched from a throttle lever to one of my hat switches to control the 109 pp that way I can have it the right way (Spits and Hurris are still mapped to my throttle) and it stops on release, I just try and match the rpm, reducing pp to keep the rpm's out of the red, I found before I was using the hat switch I would set it for dive and then forget to centre it I would pull out in full course, totally screwed for the climb out, but when you get it right it works well.
Oohhh good idea and then I can use the lever I currently have it set to for mixture control when the 190 arrives

Thanks tiger

Quote:
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hello all,
As a U.S. customer who just got the game 2 days ago, i‘m happy to report so far I'm enjoying the game!!
I have been a Il-2 fan for quite some time since my middle school in 2004, but I have mostly been a casual player, for example I flew offline most of the time and never used CEM in the old IL-2. I can't believe how fast time has gone by because I still remember taking off for the first time in Bf-109F, and i nosed in and crashed on the run way a couple of times before finally made it off. The feeling was soooo rewarding and the realism really astonished me back then.

Yesterday i made a quick intercept mission in Full Mission Builder, just to test somethings like CEM and see how the new game is different from the old one. That astonishing feeling really came back!! It took me some time to get my G940 set up. I messed around with CEM quite a bit, clicked around in the cockpit. I honestly have to admit it is a lot of fun, and graphics look a loooot nicer than the original Il-2. Before I got the game I thought the terrain would be really annoying but it turned out when I'm actually in the cockpit flying, my attention wouldn't be so much on the terrain (the greenness) than on my dashboard and enemy planes. Really the CEM would give you a full plate!!

Now I have few questions I encountered while playing yesterday.
1. How do I adjust the gunsight range based on my convergence 250? On spitfire there is only "increase" and "decrease" gunsight range, but how do i tell how far it is set to? Some general comments on how to use the gunsight are also welcome! as i never got in deep and messed around with gunsight and convergence in the old Il-2 series.

For what its worth we did some tests and a 200yd convergence needs 350yd gunsight setting. We think its pro-rata for anything else, e.g. convergence x 1.75

If you open an info window (Alt+RightClick) you can get secondary controls up and the gunsight range changes, Compass Ring and Gyro Compass changes will show up in that. You might want to set the font large as its stuck on Blue and can be hard to read at normal size.

2. Right after I took off in 109, the engine started shaking very badly, and 30 seconds later, a message "Governor Failure" appeared. I had both of my radiator open. What could be the cause?

See other posts ref overheating and rpm

3. I noticed that in 109 you can't adjust the pitch? I press increase and decrease pitch but the nob always comes back to its original position?

Its spring loaded, hold it until required pitch is obtained

4. Is there anyway to change the location of the texts? as of now all 3 of the messages are overlapping each other on the top left of the screen.

Yes, see this:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...4&postcount=55

5. What's the difference between oil radiator and radiator?

Oil is for oil, radiator is for coolant (probably posted already)

6. What is a healthy temperature for oil and water?

109 Climb figures in manual:
Oil temperature: 30 to 75 C, up to 95 in short bursts.
Water temperature: 80 C, up to 105 in short bursts.

7. What's a good way of taking screenshots without all the texts and engine setting?

hmmm not sure. Turn them off somehow

That is all for now. Gtg take a final exam

Good luck
Hope you guys r enjoying the game as well!
As well as can be expected just now

Thanks in advance!
Good luck

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Krupi,

If you're flying at 11:30 prop pitch most of the time, you're not utilizing even 1/2 of the power of the 109s engine, like you're driving a car using only first and second gear.

Use more control, let your prop pitch slowly work its way down to 9:30-9:45, keeping it in the powerband, and you'll see a lot more speed. Plus, its way easier to keep the engine under control in dives, if you start at the low end of the powerband instead of the high end. Get the revs back up when climbing.

I find I do most of my dogfighting at around 10:15, and slowly works its way up as I lose energy and need more and more bite from the engine. When you're still dogfighting and your PP is already at 12:00, you know you've done it wrong and you're running out of time.
I'll give that a shot.
It would really nice if someone can explain what's the relationship between RPM, power and speed? Is there a formula that links them together? Intuitively it doesn't make any sense to me. It's probably better to look at a math formula. I actually took a intro to Aerospace Engineering class in my freshman year in college, but we didn't cover anything propeller related. all we talked about was the airfoil.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Well a prop is an airfoil....
LOL owned

Quote:
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Krupi,

If you're flying at 11:30 prop pitch most of the time, you're not utilizing even 1/2 of the power of the 109s engine, like you're driving a car using only first and second gear.

Use more control, let your prop pitch slowly work its way down to 9:30-9:45, keeping it in the powerband, and you'll see a lot more speed. Plus, its way easier to keep the engine under control in dives, if you start at the low end of the powerband instead of the high end. Get the revs back up when climbing.

I find I do most of my dogfighting at around 10:15, and slowly works its way up as I lose energy and need more and more bite from the engine. When you're still dogfighting and your PP is already at 12:00, you know you've done it wrong and you're running out of time.

Thanks Cheese, will try this out later

Quote: