Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Approved Member

Remind that Hartman had a powerful nose mounted canon. I hve alrdy said that extensively at the time of old IL2 but when you need to score a lot of hits to get a kill, it's better to fire from moderate range were the aspect ratio of your target will stay approx. cte during the burst with only minor corrections needed on the ctrl.

At close range the natural tendency is to over react with an out of phase mvmt.

If you need only a cpl of hits to score a kill with big shells for sure it's better to leave you eggs at hands range.

Until w've got the MG151 and late F 109 model, close range does not mean nothing IMHO
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Approved Member

The website http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm is really a nice overview.

Furthermore, I see things similar like tools4fools concerning the destructive potential of the .303 ammo. Planes can´t always explode after you hit em with a 3 second burst like i nsoem historical WW2 guncam footage. It´s often enough to hit the engine of a german bomber without seeing flames or explosions. Mostly ,some mintues later the engine stops workign after you have pounded the engines. Why should one waste additional bullets into a target which is very likely to go down short time later.

This really helps you saving ammo concerning bombers and you can bring down 3-5 bombers after 15 minutes over the channel or England.

In regards to ripping of wings, I have since several days the impression in that case convergence matters the most, since you can rip it of at 200m with a 220yards convergence setup with a short burst at the right stop but despair at close range (50m) while pumping bullets into the bomber which doesn´t expldoe or loses its wing. Apparently, it appears to me, that the convergence is the key or main factor for such wing-off enterprises .
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

There is some interesting parts in this web article but some are clearly wrong stuff.

Dealing with Air to Air artillery is dealing with rate of fire, destructive power, time to full rate of fire, closed coupled gun installation and weight.

You can put a dozen of heavy high fire machine guns in a wing and still won't be able to down a nimble fighter.

Guys how many Beau hve down a Zero during the war ?

Twisted interpretation leads only to twisted argumentation (and (mostly) vis versa).

Fun that it has been so well documented in the press (Air force monthly, Le Fana de l'aviation comes in my mind) that we hve to deal with such on the internet
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

Bring your convergence down to 100m and watch stuff go down
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Whats the refrence to a minimum of 200yds in the Spit convergence ? If thats the case it should be modelled imo.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

I would be interested in the damage values in the configs for the different types of .303 in the game. Does anybody know whether someone extracted that information from the game files.
I now dumbed the Incendiary/Tracer (White) rounds in the two outer guns and substituted them with Red Tracer 800yds ball ammo, since I saw little to no effect of the usage of the Incendiary Tracer rounds. The universal ball rounds seemed to have more punch in enemy planes as I tried it today on the Repka Steppe server from my point of view.

I now fly around with:
1.)Tracer (Red ball)
2.) Ball
3.) Armor piercing
4.) Incendiary/DeWilde HE
5.) Armor piercing
6.) Ball/ DeWilde HE/Ball
7.) Ball
8.) Tracer (Red Ball)

I nthe future I try to investigate the ammo effects with more objective measures like recorded tracks . I hope they are working now.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Concerning the gun convergence, I found accidentally an informative document about setting up different types of convergences in Spitfires and Hurricanes.

http://www.slowcat.de/slowcats1/AHTC/Convergence.pdf
Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Approved Member

Interesting thread and thanks Hellbender as I've been trying different types of ammo and convergences. Someone also pointed out attacking from dead six doesn't seem to do much.
I've been finding attacking from an angle with speed, firing at the last second close in to cause the most damage. Manage to knock a wing off a Stuka with a quick burst.
200m setting
Ball
Ball
AP
White/tracer

If I'm flying at similar speed to the target the damage is less effective.