Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Approved Member

i like the sun effect as well.it seems pretty realistic implemented in my view.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

An interesting vid I found in the incockpit spit sounds thread,shows the landscape colours,the effect of haze on a sunny day and getting blinded by the sun.

Obviously being filmed with a camera and not viewed with the naked eye it'd be a little different,but for me personally it shows that the devs are very much on the right track.

Good work

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

fantastic sounds, nice realistic ground textures and shores, well done.
the volumetric clouds hurt my fps, so set them to low,
could use a contrast slider , like the graphic haziness, but a little more clarity.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarden View Post
An interesting vid I found in the incockpit spit sounds thread,shows the landscape colours,the effect of haze on a sunny day and getting blinded by the sun.

Obviously being filmed with a camera and not viewed with the naked eye it'd be a little different,but for me personally it shows that the devs are very much on the right track.

Good work

Good find! I think the current beta portrays more closely the environment seen on this video. So I have to agree you skarden, the devs are on the right track.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=luthier;331837]It's here! Here's the readme:

BETA NOTE

* SOUND: Still working on the content for the new engine....

congrats dev team on the sound engine and samples this is what the community wanted , few more tweaks for the merlin ,... got it.

also more heavy sounds for the bombers. but its finally heading in the right direction fantastic.

Last edited by diveplane; 09-17-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarden View Post

Good work

Nice vid, thanks! Look´s like Canon´s English Channel Map Mod. Tree´s disposal in actual CloD it´s not very alike the real stuff.
Rip Jaws DDR3 2000 6GB
FSB 200Mhz/ Memory Bus 1000MHz
SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB
SSD OCZ Revo X2 240GB (flight sims)
WD5000AAKS 500GB
BX 2250 21,5" 1920x1080@60Hz
Sidewinder FFB II
Win 7 64 bits Ultimate
Corsair 850W
Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Approved Member

Ok guys , not all of us are computer savy ,at least I'm not very I don't know how to install the patch . Can someone explain how that goes? My il2 cliffs folder doesn't seem to be on my hard drive ,although the game does work . I even used the search button off the strat button . Can't find a Ubi folder for it or a 1c or an Il2 . Nothing .Windows 7 Is what I'm using. Steam wasn't working for me so I had to delete it it and re-install it .Since then my game folder dissapeared .
Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Approved Member

Question: i have the Russian version of the game, but id rather have it in english . do i have to DL the russian patch or can i get the english one?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Ok guys , not all of us are computer savy ,at least I'm not very I don't know how to install the patch . Can someone explain how that goes? My il2 cliffs folder doesn't seem to be on my hard drive ,although the game does work . I even used the search button off the strat button . Can't find a Ubi folder for it or a 1c or an Il2 . Nothing .Windows 7 Is what I'm using. Steam wasn't working for me so I had to delete it it and re-install it .Since then my game folder dissapeared .
Go to your Steam installation folder, under it you will find folder names "steamapps" and under it "common". The CloD installation is in this folder. Extract the beta zip into the CloD folder and overwrite when asked to do so.
AMD 1055T Hexacore@3,4GHz - 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - ATI 6950 2GB, flashed to 6970 shaders - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - 30" LG W3000H (2560x1600) - TM Warthog Stick + Cougar Throttle - wooden DIY pedals with Hall sensor - FreeTrack
Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Maybe the amount of degrees of pilot's POV affected on either side could be toned down a bit, but for looking straight at the sun i actually think it's quite good as it is and much better than most other sims i've seen.
I think thats my point. Straight into sun is ok, blinding in fact
Looking about 30 degrees away from the real sun dramatically reduces the glare.

In CoD, with the advantage of TrackIR, I can raise or lower my head so that the sun moves towards the top or bottom of the screen and the glare diminishes more or less as I'd expect and I can see reasonably clearly where I am looking (although at the very edge it begins to act like a hand shading the sun). If I keep the sun halfway up the screen and look towards the left or right the glare is still too strong when the sun is over to one side of the screen (a much larger angle) and I cannot see very clearly where I am looking. That makes searching for aircraft near-co-alt more difficult than I think it would have been, they are not 'in the sun'. Its as though CoD uses the screen location as the glare driver rather than angle of view.

I'd also add that it seems to be aggravated by time of day which for me, when the sun is low, introduces an almost milky appearance, probably haze, when the too-strong glare is amplified and so is much worse looking away sideways. Usually where I live on the South Coast of the UK (halfway between Tangmere and Hawkinge) the morning haze tends to reduce the strength of the glare but spread it a little like a diffuser, which it is I suppose, but not to such a wide angle as CoD. I accept that is at ground level or a few hundred feet up on the Downs and not at 10,000 feet.

Last point, looking at the Spitfire film posted by skarden I think the haze is a little too strong at shorter range in CoD but I suppose it may depend on the type of day CoD is trying to represent. It would be nice to be able to select the haze level to reflect different weather situations and sometimes have those 'gin-clear' days. Perhaps when the FMB weather is sorted we may get that.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders