Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Thanks Klunk for the nice information. That was something I hadn't read or seen before.

Regarding the relative dangers of dive and skip bombing, I would say that this depends on the type of target. At any rate, neither would be comparable to torpedo bombers, which head to maintain a steady course at a low speed in perfect AAA altitude for an extended time.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtD View Post
It's 2 seconds, not 25meters.
It's 2 sec and 25m.

4.10 pdf:
Bomb Fusing
Real life bombs have generally an electrical or mechanical time fuse to avoid premature
explosion in case of mishap (e.g. a bomb detaching from the aircraft while still on the runway,
25 / 35
or a bomb hitting the bomb rack due to turbulence). This has been implemented in IL-2, so
that bombs now have a 2 seconds time fusing. If the bomb hits the target before that time,
the fuse does not activate and the bomb does not explode. This means that in level flight a
bomb must be dropped from a minimum altitude of about 25 meters to explode. If the bomb is
dropped in a dive the altitude must be proportionally greater. This also applies to skip
bombing: the bomb must be dropped from at least 25m
and must not hit the ship before 2
seconds.

edit:
Quote:
could easily go in on one side and out on the other
Got any sources that this ever happened?

Last edited by swiss; 01-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
It's 2 sec and 25m.
No, it's not. Try it in game instead of quoting a text that can easily be interpreted either way. 2 seconds free falling bombs mean 19.62 m altitude from level flight. That's what the 25 m come from, hence the "....this means...." part.

Fly at 5m, pull up 3 seconds prior to the target an release the bombs. You'll see. I've this way skip bombed from 10m. It's just very hard to do, so I rather fly at 22 m and do it from level flight.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
No, it's not. Try it in game...
I did.
http://rapidshare.com/#!download|15l...k0039.ntrk|504

Quote:
Fly at 5m, pull up 3 seconds prior to the target an release the bombs. You'll see. I've this way skip bombed from 10m. It's just very hard to do, so I rather fly at 22 m and do it from level flight.
Got a ntrk?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Got any sources that this ever happened?
Bombs going through ships - there's plenty.

Skipped bombs going through smaller vessels - I've once read a pilot account about that. The claim is technically sound. I've never bothered to look into damage reports for each of the thousands of smaller vessels that got damaged in WW2 to see how often it actually happened.

---
For what it's worth, releasing the bombs 60 feet before the ship means that the aiming point would be 60 feet before the ship. As Caspar has correctly pointed out, it is impossible to hit an object on the ground if you release the bomb from level flight at 250 feet just 60 feet away. You'd have to fly at about 10 knots to make that work.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Got a ntrk?
Made one for you.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Ok, why did you doubt it before?
Quote:
Leaves me to wonder which bomb and which hull,
Because of the delay?
If it goes right through it, a 4-5 sec delay wont help you either.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Thx, toss bombing mixed with skipbombing.
Sounds realistic."Use the force, Luke"
And the bombs still get disarmed if they touch the water too early.

But like i said before, I dont care.
Another 70days and IL2 will be deleted from my HDD.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, why did you doubt it before?
Like I said, you said this was not about skip bombing and the next statement is that the bomb penetrates the hull. Only that left me to wonder which hulls.

The point is that 4-5 seconds delay were used for US skip bombing because that would make the bomb go off in the vicinity of the ship even if it sunk before the ship or went right over or through it. With 14 seconds delay the bomb will go off very deep in the water, lessening the damage, and also the ship will have moved a considerable distance, even an average steamer could have covered a complete ship length in that time.

At any rate, my comment on the 14 seconds delay were not directed at the feasibility of skip bombing as such, rather the general problems associated with a long fuse - ground penetration, skipping, rolling, rebounding, moving targets moving away - all of which making an accurate and devastating attack difficult.

Regarding my track, it wasn't meant to show the most elegant way of skip bombing, only to show that altitude does not matter. I released these bombs at about 10m, clearly below the 25 you thought would also be a limit.

Not that it matters much in practice. The bomb lobbing is pretty difficult to do and offers no benefits over a level attack 20 m higher.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

it is impossible to hit an object on the ground if you release the bomb from level flight at 250 feet just 60 feet away. You'd have to fly at about 10 knots to make that work.
I think they're working with water, not ground ?
has bomb weight been taken into account?

of interest...?

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 01-28-2011 at 02:42 AM.