Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

View Poll Results: Do you like to see Freetrack interface integrated in IL-2:CoD?
Yes, I like to have Freetrack interface integrated in IL-2:CoD. 133 81.60%
No, I don't like to have Freetrack interface integrated in IL-2:CoD. 30 18.40%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Approved Member

Any fanatic is beyond reason!
I think everybody here should appear as if he seriously thinks about his answering posts and doesn't see only black and white.
I have missed that impression on quite a few posts here from both sides.
Besides that its fun reading.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Approved Member

At least in this case fanatics have reason, people who resist do not.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
The unfortunate trade-off for using a quantizing algorithm is input lag response which is unavoidable.

You may not think you notice it but it definitely affects the way you pivot around in-game, even by milliseconds.

even a sub-second lag can have a big impact on your effectiveness.
I will fire up my TrackIR (which is safely tucked away for CoD duty if required..) and concentrate on the issue of FT's response/lag times and wether it affects my game. It may well be that I haven't percieved the problem due to the fact I set my axis curves for a small deadzone , slow initial movement to the side and then rapid acceleration to my 6 (on both systems). If you are correct, and you may well be, I will look into getting a PS3 eyecam as I prefer FT with IL946 + 6DOF.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You may not think you notice it but it definitely affects the way you pivot around in-game, even by milliseconds. You can equate it to playing an online FPS shooter game at 50ms vs 200ms, not as a direct comparison but to illustrate that sub-second lag can have a big impact on your effectiveness.
The lag that people talks about is a webcam limitation that the max framerate is 30 not the software (if you fine tune your curves you'll not notice any), but with a ps3 you can get 125 fps at 320x240 and 75 fps at 640x480

Last edited by albx; 03-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Approved Member

I use FT with a PS3 Eye with no lag. And yes - I tested TiR products. It's the same thing.

Simple as that: use some "webcam" with more than 100FPS and the magic is done, but cheap 30FPS webcams provide good experience too.

Waiting for Oleg's response about FreeTrack suport. Any word?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
I use FT with a PS3 Eye with no lag. And yes - I tested TiR products. It's the same thing.

Simple as that: use some "webcam" with more than 100FPS and the magic is done, but cheap 30FPS webcams provide good experience too.

Waiting for Oleg's response about FreeTrack suport. Any word?
I also have a ps3 eye, and about FT support, I think we should just wait and try if will work, i don't believe anybody will come here and tell yes or not..
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
I also have a ps3 eye, and about FT support, I think we should just wait and try if will work, i don't believe anybody will come here and tell yes or not..
Yes, I believe that too... And I'm a little bit "happy" with that, if you understand me... lol!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
The lag that people talks about is a webcam limitation that the max framerate is 30 not the software (if you fine tune your curves you'll not notice any), but with a ps3 you can get 125 fps at 320x240 and 75 fps at 640x480
For the most part you are right that a higher framerate camera will likely make the most difference and provide an adequate experience, perhaps even on par with one of the older TIR versions (the TIR3 was 120hz) even though it probably cannot match the field of view a TIR5 has.

The software limitation I mention effects everyone on FT or TIR, it doesn't matter. It comes from the amount of time it takes the computer to "guess" the amount of in-between frames (quantizing) from actual samples. You get better accuracy at the expense of lag (the amount of milliseconds it takes to process and return the information) which gets worse, linearly, with the amount of smoothing.

It's important to note that the higher the sampling rate of the camera, the less smoothing you need, much like a mouse.

How much is one of these PS3 eyes you mention? And is there any technical specs on it's field of view?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
(...)even though it probably cannot match the field of view a TIR5 has.
(...)
How much is one of these PS3 eyes you mention? And is there any technical specs on it's field of view?
Google it first. Do a little research, because you have a lot of opinions and voted NO in this poll... I'm not suprised with that: you know very little but have a lot of opinions!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
Google it first. Do a little research, because you have a lot of opinions and voted NO in this poll... I'm not suprised with that: you know very little but have a lot of opinions!

Hush...adults are having a conversation here.