Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK View Post
Was Oleg Maddox too far ahead of his time?
Certainly Oleg was far ahead of his time! This is what is needed to make great things happen.

My belief is that the game did not become a success not because of it massive requirements in expensive HW but, because a lot of bugs and important functionalities (AI, Radio control) were not ironed out as fast as possible.

This is what I will always remember about CoD
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ml#Post3360767

"too far ahead" is a very delicate definition. "far head", too.
Interestingly, you may want to notice the last comment about Oleg in the chat window on the first picture in the thread I posted above

~S~
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Some people don't realise yet what we just lost, with both Oleg AND Ilya. They had true vision, and were not just after a quick buck.
Others are here to gloat, or to push their own agenda. Funny how a lot of the main detractors are now fawning at the new forum, and, it turns out never actually owned CoD in the first place.Who would have seen that coming.
I won't say what I really think, because I would have to ban myself.
Yes a surprise to me the people who never even bought the game. Crazy, without support did they think it would last forever...I tried my best to squash all the bad press that would show up in posts, if I knew for sure it was unwarranted. Such things as the CTD, AA (unimportant so early really), 303's being ineffective and the 109 stalling etc. etc...a strong sales report was needed for, to buy time for the engine to survive...just a huge waste, and very sad for MG

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
He wanted to make the best WW2 combat simulation ever, but the technology was not there yet.
I disagree El.

The technology was there; the failure it's been because of the inability of the developers to use it correctly (lack of DX11, multithreating, 64bit ect... bugs with texture's compression rate, textures loaded directly from HDD, ect).

As full time software developer I can say that it's not easy to use new technologies at their full potential: you need guys who have the correct know-how... my first applications with WPF (coming from "window forms") and ASP.Net (from php) were horrible.

I think that Oleg didn't surrounded himself with the right pros.

It's cruel, I know, but if you want to develop a master piece you have to work with real pros who actually know about new technologies... because of this a programmer has to learn the new technologies, or he will be surpassed by other guys.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.

Last edited by 6S.Manu; 12-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Points taken sir.

I've posted on our forum that I don't think BoS is going to be, well, I'll say very good here, as to not have Uther ban me.

The RoF enigine is an older development and has severe limitations.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Approved Member

BoS on the RoF engine, I believe we are thinking the same thing El. Still, time will tell.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
The RoF enigine is an older development and has severe limitations.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.
You're not wrong, imo.

As I said in the past, I really don't like WW1 planes but I've bought many ROF plane packages: I hope others will do the same with BOS even if the engine is outdated. In that way we can support 777 to develop contents (planes and theatres) and above all a new generation of their engine.

The only thing I ask to 777 is to be honest with the customer: they already wrote about their clear objectives on the first "developer diary"... it's enough for me.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6S.Manu View Post
I disagree El.
I think that Oleg didn't surrounded himself with the right pros.
But you also have to keep in mind that programming a real time flight sim is not anywhere close to any other kind of software. I consider myself an exceptional application architect and developer and have created everything from quick and dirty 5 minute scripts to 500 million record enterprise level databases and I will be the first to admit that I couldn't even touch a flight sim. And I'm a mechanical engineer!

Without post graduate work very few engineers will truly understand the differential equations used to APPROXIMATE flight dynamics, let alone be able to actually program them. Putting together a top notch flight sim is a black art in and of itself. Merging it all into an actual game is staggering.

So, it is very difficult to find the, "right pros", when coding for a hard core PC based flight sim.

Just my thoughts.

--Outlaw.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
But you also have to keep in mind that programming a real time flight sim is not anywhere close to any other kind of software. I consider myself an exceptional application architect and developer and have created everything from quick and dirty 5 minute scripts to 500 million record enterprise level databases and I will be the first to admit that I couldn't even touch a flight sim. And I'm a mechanical engineer!

Without post graduate work very few engineers will truly understand the differential equations used to APPROXIMATE flight dynamics, let alone be able to actually program them. Putting together a top notch flight sim is a black art in and of itself. Merging it all into an actual game is staggering.

So, it is very difficult to find the, "right pros", when coding for a hard core PC based flight sim.

Just my thoughts.

--Outlaw.
I've not said it easy, otherwise every game out there would be a master piece.

Anyway I'm talking about those engines who are directly linked to technologies.

Of course the development of a physic engine from scrap required very smart people: probably guys who know to works with PhysiX can reach the target easier, but knowing how to develop a multithreading application is a little different from designing a complex physic engine, IMO.
The same about a Dx10 graphic engine: an experienced Dx10 guy can work easily and with better results than a guy who only worked with Dx9 library or, at worst, OpenGL.

This was my point, otherwise they would have used the newest technologies in CloD, but they didn't.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
FYI, the CLOD project was restarted 3 times under his watch.
FYI, if it wasn't for Oleg and Luthier none of us would be here so why don't you just go and gloat in your own forum, we know what your here for, you spend enough time on your knees in-front of Jason & no we don't want to watch.

I can't understand why someone that lives in Riverside, is constantly trolling forums when there is so much to do and see outside, just goes to show the type of pond-life you are.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Some people don't realise yet what we just lost, with both Oleg AND Ilya. They had true vision, and were not just after a quick buck.
Others are here to gloat, or to push their own agenda. Funny how a lot of the main detractors are now fawning at the new forum, and, it turns out never actually owned CoD in the first place.Who would have seen that coming.
I won't say what I really think, because I would have to ban myself.
Your a legend JG52Uther!

I tip my hat to you 1000000000000000000+