Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

I think you have a very good rig and your video card is one of the best thanks to its 3Gb VRAM (which is usualy the most common reason for low fps in CoD) so, my first answer would be yes, you have one of the best rigs to run CoD at this resolution.

Do not even think about SLI and CoD. It is a waste of money (unfortunately).

~S~
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
I think you have a very good rig and your video card is one of the best thanks to its 3Gb VRAM (which is usualy the most common reason for low fps in CoD) so, my first answer would be yes, you have one of the best rigs to run CoD at this resolution.

Do not even think about SLI and CoD. It is a waste of money (unfortunately).

~S~
thak you very much for your advises mates
Core i7 3930k @ stock, asus rampage IV Extreme, 16 GB ram GSkill 2133 MHz, SSD vertex 3 max iops 120 GB, Noctua NH-D14, 1 x GTX 580 Point of view (overclocked) 3 GB, HAF 942, G 940, silent pro gold 1000 w, track IR 5, SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245 B.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

Hi U505

Do you play in 2560x1440 now, i would love to know what frame rates you get with that 3gig card.

I get very low fps with my gtx 580 1.5 gig, in 2560x1440 and looking to get a new graphics card.

My specs:

Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4ghz
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3, Socket-1155
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 12gig
Corsair SSD 115GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX CUDA
Dell u2711 2560x1440 27" monitor
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

no sorry i don't play with that resolution. I play now in 1900x 1200 and look to buy a 2560 x 1440 screen for christmas or before
Core i7 3930k @ stock, asus rampage IV Extreme, 16 GB ram GSkill 2133 MHz, SSD vertex 3 max iops 120 GB, Noctua NH-D14, 1 x GTX 580 Point of view (overclocked) 3 GB, HAF 942, G 940, silent pro gold 1000 w, track IR 5, SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245 B.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Ok, then i can recomend te dell u2711. im very happy with this screen. its only CLOD thats not happy with the resolution hehe.

Battlefield 3, starcraft 2, diablo, rise of flight they all do well and the picture this screen deliveres is amazing, its ips panel that deliveres very good colors, but it has a great amount og anti glare coating. But its only visible on bright background, and im used to it now but many dont like the screen because of it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Approved Member

You are welcome Perhaps another guy with a 580 and 3 gb here? I cannot give u advice. Important is, that you run steam and clod on your ssd, but I think you know that. But I don't know, how much effect the resolution increase will have on your card. Sorry

But second big advice is just to overclock your cpu as clod is getting cpu bottlenecks fast. My i7 is currently running on 3,8 ghz and still sometimes bottlenecks. As you have new generation it would be very easy for you to reach 4 - 4,4 ghz without much knowledge of overclocking. Sometimes your mainboard helps you to achieve higher clocks easily too

Last edited by Stublerone; 11-09-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Approved Member

I've been following this thread and if I can ask what problems specifically does CLOD have with this res? is just low fps or something else?

I ask as I'm getting a new 27" monitor at this res for my new computer, it's pretty a beasty rig with an overclocked 3930k and duel 680's but the 680's only have 2Gb of ram a piece, which might prove to be the bottle neck for CLOD, I'm on holidays atm so I cant test it all out myself.
I wish they would just release a proper SLI profile, I live in hope that the next Nvidea driver set will have CLOD listed in the new SLI profiles list.
fingers crossed.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, first you will have problems with sli as usual.

It has nothing to do with that specific res, but it is proven, that ati cards can maintain higher fps in higher resolutions and the nvidia cards are better able to max out the lower end of the fps, which can also be good. But higher resolutions mainly mean, that ati becomes better and better. And as you can see in all benchmarks, the 7970 is the fastest gpu and smashed nvidia this year by no doubt.

It is not only important, how big the vram on the card is, but also how fast the interface us. As far as I know a 660 only has 192bit interface, while ati has 384bit. It is double. And especially in the field of streaming engines, it has a clear advantage in shovelling data fast.

2gb cards at your res could be enough, but stuttering can be still a problem.

Also think of getting an ssd. It is worth it in my opinion. Not only for the game, but for overall rig perfirmance.

I spoke about even higher resolution. Triple screen setups demand so much, that an sli setup with 680's is simply too slow. It demands too much from a card, which is only on the market as quick solution against ati and not as a well planned card. That is, what makes me even more angry about nvidia this year. You get a quick shot card, which is underperforming. Kepler is good, but the rest of the card and the vram interface is just to laugh at. It is a big boy casual gamer card and not a core gamers choice.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the reply Stub, yeah i knew from that start I was gunna have problems with SLI and CLOD, I guess we're all in the same boat with that one until 1C/Nvidia get their fingers out and sort it all out.

I used to be an an ATI guy then switched to Nvidia a few years ago and have generally found that their drivers and interface are a lot easier to get my head around were as Catalyst Control Center always felt like it was always a hassle to get around and set a decent profile with. Perhaps its time I look at ATI seriously again, the computer's very new so I'm gunna keep the duel 680's for now but in a year's or so time I might look to replace them if they're not pulling their weight.

I've yet to really test the computer to be honest, I only had it for a day before I went on holiday so I don't really know hows it runs anything yet, although apart from CLOD I'm hoping it should smash pretty much everything else I throw at it, I tend to play a lot of sims ( FSX, ROF ARMA, iRacing ect ) I don't think any of those will really have a problem with that res except maybe FSX, but I guess until I try it I won't really know. I've also got a 240 Gb SSD for the OS so it should generally run well and I've just ordered a Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HD for games so I don't think I'll have any real problems in that area.

again cheers for the help Stub, still I am starting to wonder if that higher res is worth the potential trouble it could be, more research is in order I guess :/

Last edited by skarden; 11-27-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

I.must admit, that this is a rig, that I would also like to have, except the 680s.

You have everything you need. I also have veloci raptors and a samsung 830 series ssd. Played Arma 2 and clod on both storage types and I have a performance increase from the veloci raptor to the ssd, which I can really feel (also compared to a raid of 2 veloci raptors).

The 830 really does a great job in every day life behaviour. Much better than some other ssd of that time. The driving technology is great. I do not know, if the other chips are now performing as well as the samsung but when the 830 came out it was unbeatable in this price range because of its new concept. Just wanted to mention that. Perhaps you should read some recent reviews of tests, which are not just counting maximum read and write performances. I saw several big internet sides had really tested completely wrong! Be careful on eye washers.