Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyhighway View Post
I am almost done with game 0 losses so far. Trick is to install the mod for different units on starting zone :] Paladins and rune mages(think they are called just woke up).

You can say its cheating to use other units other then Vikings but I disagree totally. I play video games for choice's not fixed boring character at start.

All you have to do is make sure you fight stuff that is deadly and it makes the game really fun and sometimes a challenge. But no matter the units this game needs a super impossible mode even if you just use vikings at start.
It's not 'cheating' anymore than anything else is in single player. But you aren't going to impress anyone by using an infinite resurrection combo starting from the first island . The point though, is that you don't have to impress anyone. If you enjoy it, that's fine.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLite22 View Post
I have only 2 items on me that increase defense or attack. So that proves that I'm really unlucky in my run, dammit! Now I'm considering a reset. While it's certainly doable I'd love to have that extra 20 int instead...
I'd only reset if you really want to play a mage focused on damage spells. Int is not that important for buffs and other stuff (maybe some of the summoning spells). I would be surprised if the difference in altars was that huge, and you can always get the medals and talents. The biggest difference may be in items, and I think you get at least one +5int ring fixed (the snake ring). With that, my lvl27 (or so) soothsayer has 29 intellect iirc, and I do not have great incentives to raise it right now (no powerful damage spells except blizzard, no powerful summon spells except ice ball). I can get 10 more intellect from talents, I believe.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechnophobe View Post
It's not 'cheating' anymore than anything else is in single player. But you aren't going to impress anyone by using an infinite resurrection combo starting from the first island . The point though, is that you don't have to impress anyone. If you enjoy it, that's fine.
Your ipse dixit means nothing. Manipulating a game's rules from outside of the game world is cheating. It is irrelevant if a game is single player or multiplayer. Cheating doesn't apply only to multiplayer games.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon View Post
I'd only reset if you really want to play a mage focused on damage spells. Int is not that important for buffs and other stuff (maybe some of the summoning spells). I would be surprised if the difference in altars was that huge, and you can always get the medals and talents. The biggest difference may be in items, and I think you get at least one +5int ring fixed (the snake ring). With that, my lvl27 (or so) soothsayer has 29 intellect iirc, and I do not have great incentives to raise it right now (no powerful damage spells except blizzard, no powerful summon spells except ice ball). I can get 10 more intellect from talents, I believe.
REAL summoned creatures (Book of Evil, Ancient Phoenix, and Ice Ball) benefit tremendously from Intellect. I'm talking units capable of fighting stacks with double your leadership. For the rest, it just adds leadership to the summons, which is meh.

The problem with not having high intellect with a mage is that you will be forced to rely on buffs/debuffs to help your weaker-than-average army. You'd basically be playing like a Skald with half the army size. I.E. you'd be handicapping yourself.

Still, like I mentioned, my own Skald has 28 Intellect, with a lot of that from altars. I can't imagine the difference in altars is huge, either.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

I just tried lvl3 ancient Phoenix..wow..just wow
roughly 400-700 dmg, 2.3k life, close to 200 atk and def, this is what I got with 37 intell, and I don't even have point in creation yet.

I got to Greenwort with my mage a bit early, at level 14. This summon gonna make my mage's life at Greenwort so much easier.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpath View Post
I just tried lvl3 ancient Phoenix..wow..just wow
roughly 400-700 dmg, 2.3k life, close to 200 atk and def, this is what I got with 37 intell, and I don't even have point in creation yet.

I got to Greenwort with my mage a bit early, at level 14. This summon gonna make my mage's life at Greenwort so much easier.
Your final Ancient Phoenix will have starts that are off the charts. No literally, the attack is so high, that you can't see the minimum damage.

I think mine was ~700-1400 damage? ~300 attack/defense, ~4100 HP.

If you start with Greasy Mist, you can do ~6K dmg per hit (high crit chance) to 3 stacks, and chance to retaliate (if it survives the counter attacks) all for 35 mana.

Very good tank + damage combo until you have super nuke spells.

Nevermind it can interrupt most enemies due to high initiative (you can summon him after your interdictor unit has moved half way through the map or 1/3 in).
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
Can someone please tell me a bit about rune magic? I only play as a Mage in KB games. Haven't got WotN yet, but planning to get it this week. How does rune magic work? How is it different from other types of magic?
Some spells consume runes on the units you cast them on, either one specific (Gift, Negation etc) or several out of all the runes available (Chargers, Rune Chain). But there is also a bunch of spells (especially damage spells) which aren't anything special but are ice-themed such as Blizzard and Frost Snake (which was a Destruction spell previously).
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

Out of curiosity I used code to max out my skill trees and compared the lvl 3 Ancient Phoenix with lvl 3 Book of Evil at 53 intell. BoE has some insane number of attack and defense, like 800ish, and over 9k life. But AF comes out on top with far better initiative, speed, AOE attack and rebirth. Not to mention the amazing synergy with other spells.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Approved Member

@goldenpath
Real problem here is that if enemy have defense 1 , and you have attack 61 you make 300% dmg to it. But if enemy have 1 defense and you have as mentioned 800 attack you still do 300% dmg to it when hit. So att over 150 is pure waste.
Better look for dmg of summon, hp, initiative and so on.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbone View Post
playing hard/mage, lvl 27 in greenwort area. i would say focus on CC and buffs. damage spells dont seem to scale enough to justify investing heavily into them. or maybe i just have not found any good AoE damage spells yet.

just use rage for your AoE damage and use magic mostly for disabling/debuffing the enemy and buffing your troops. definitely try to pick up the rage increasing skills in the might tree when you can otherwise as you level your rage abilities you will find that you cant cast them at all because your max rage is too low.

focus on leveling up the distortion line first, then chaos, then order. distortion and chaos have really good debuff/buff spells. rune magic is really gimmicky.
Damage spells doesn't scale enough? Personally I find they are among the few spells that are actually useful except maybe stoneskin and trap. I have Rune Magic lvl 3 and maxed Sonic Boom. It does tons of damage to the whole army, around 3000 with an int of 42. Also, try to get Trapper III as soon as possible. I start with three traps at 3000-4000 damage every fight and it also stops the enemy from advancing. I didn't bother leveling up Chaos magic because you don't need to since Fear works at lvl 1 and Fireball isn't that good. In AP there was a godly spell called Geyser but I don't know which school it belongs to. You could kill half the opponents army with it. If it's Chaos Magic then I suppose it would be worth investing in after you get that spell. For me it's this order: Rune > Distortion > Order > Chaos.

My tips is to get Higher Magic as soon as possible, cast a small spell first and then a big nuke. General tips are always keep your distance to strong units until you have weakened them enough. CC archers or attack them first with ranged attacks, since you can't control what they will attack. You can also use a spell called Target on a tank if the enemy isn't undead. Get some dragons, paladins and a unit that can summon a tanking troop. Ice Dragons are exceptional but Dryads or Engineers are good too.

I am a mage lvl 28 on hard btw.

Last edited by DeepSoul; 12-24-2012 at 03:11 AM.