Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

But not activating the group object placer in FMB, which was ALREADY there according to the guy who did it, is beyond my comprehension.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Then let us ask the man and his fellow workers that question, and add to your, and mine and our communities comprehension...?

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

That mad complaining of mine, over at the SoH, has reminded me that patience is a virtue...

Wenn man den Teufel nennt kommt er gerennt!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

I think this is all being blown out of proportion be be honest,for me the best thing i think to come out of it all(hack's/mods) is def 6DOF,it's made it all soooo much more natual and easy to see what going on around me(plus I'm pretty sure real pilots had 6DOF too ) and i find it kinda ironic that the server's that this would be most usefull(ie full switch server's) are the server's that can't allow it due to CRT2(which i DO totally understand the need for).
As far as it being and advantage,yes it is,but......no more then having trackir as opposed to not having it and having to use the hatswitch(which could be played with so you could use it with a hatswitch,lean button anybody?)or other buttons,or having a full HOTAS over having a cheap stick and useing the keyboard,or a bigger clearer monitor ect ect...If we got this and only this i would be happier then i can put into writing here.

of coarse that said it'll never happen officially for IL-2 so I'm quiet happy to keep useing it offline to enhance my campaign playing
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Approved Member

Cool

I thought about this a lot, I really did.

The guys in the modding community have supplied and created many add-ons/improvements that Oleg and team have no time (just look at 4.09) to create and work on as they are onto their next project.

This doesn't mean that it's ok, but alternatively, they have sparked much interest amongst the dedicated and stalwart supporters and flyers of IL2 from the original to 1946 version! This can only serve 1C and Oleg better as it stirs interest in forth-coming projects.

The downside is that people can see what they can have, and if Oleg doesn't have it in his new Sim or BoB, then the staves and pitchforks will be wielded!

What I did think though with a wry smile, is what about if Oleg turned the tables and took the mods and incorporated them into 4.09? How could the modders complain. They have 'stolen' his code, so what could they do if Oleg stole their mods back and incorporated their code?

Now that would be interesting....

Cheers, MP.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Would be interesting indeed. But he cannot.

The modders stole the code and ripped files from other games. Oleg hasn't got the freedom to take these sounds and incorporate them into an official patch.

Besides that, it would take quite a long time to see what changes were done, what effect that has on the rest of the game and if the changes are justified or not. I guess some minor things would be accepted, some others probably not.

Another thing is flyables. The modders can simply copy'n'paste flightmodels from similar planes and that's about it. If Oleg did so officially, a flamewar would start, that surpasses any "50s vs Tigers" and "To bar or not to bar" by far.

Even worse with the 6DOF. Oleg posted before, that he'd like to do that for IL2, but the work on the cockpit simply forbid that. As the situation has not really softened down, I don't see why this has changed. So 6DOF wouldn't be possible.

But if you make these exceptions, you also make it pretty clear that you have to review the mods and it's also clear that those not chosen would be pretty pissed.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Approved Member

This reminds me of the ferocious arguments among boardgamers in the '70's about SPI (Simulations Publications International) boardgames and the Avalon Hill "classics." The Players of the hoary, old Avalon Hill games had a well-established play-by-mail system, player rating system, and convention competition system. These players of had played AH games for years, there was literally an established literature on their play like chess. They perceived the new, popular SPI games as completely toxic. The SPI games were seen to destroy the carefully established competition system which depended on the perpetuation of the use of the AH "classics." SPI players were seen as anarchists by the hard-core AH players. There were bitter debates. Before long everybody recognized the vast superiority of SPI games in terms of quality, realism, and presentation, and the arguments ceased. Nothing in this world stands still. Especially products for consumers. IL-2 is a game. it is not holy doctrine possessed of some intrinsic, immutable truth. It is just a toy.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

+ 1.... Sadly, things changed. It's like when the knights at middleage posted a rule banning the crossbow because it was a cheat and not fair weapon against them... Well, at the beginning everyone agreed, but no one stopped using them because it was really an improvment in warfare....
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post

The modders stole the code and ripped files from other games.
Feuerfalke, you have a wrong perception of what the modders did, that probably comes from ignorance. So please stop offending. Just to inform you. There are lots of modders that made original works, investing lots of time, without copying anything from other games.

Thanks
Maraz
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6S.Maraz View Post
Feuerfalke, you have a wrong perception of what the modders did, that probably comes from ignorance. So please stop offending. Just to inform you. There are lots of modders that made original works, investing lots of time, without copying anything from other games.

Thanks
Maraz
It wasn't my intention to offend you or anybody, but in the "soundmod" I had 99% of the files were taken from other sims. Don't know if that really changed with the latest release, which I didn't test yet.

Same is for some other parts of the code, but I won't go into more detail here. The fact that I don't think legalizing the modding-idea is the best choice doesn't mean I am ignorant or that I don't use or test them or look into the things that were changed, JFYI.